Confusing/redundant "reply" layout. Anyone else think so?

Complaining about someone trolling on the WaniKani Forums

Must be new.

Either way, take your hissy fit to the moderators if you have that much of a problem instead of whinging like a baby. Better yet, IGNORE THEM. Shocked

Please grow up.

1 Like

Yeah, apart from that, I quite like the reply system. At least you can jump to a quoted post here.

Leebo posts a lot, so Iā€™m sure heā€™s just here because he happened to see your post like we all did.
You asked if anyone else thinks the reply layout is confusing, ā€˜no I donā€™tā€™ is a perfectly valid response.

1 Like

Itā€™s actually probably literally word for word what I was going to post, and Iā€™m not sure Iā€™ve even seen OP before, so I think itā€™s a reasonable response? I mean, it literally answers the title questionā€¦

Good to know that thatā€™s how it works.
I thought it was just random (but who thought this was a good idea?)

Test reply

EDIT: confirmed

What I would like to know though is if you can edit an already made post to make it a reply to or include a quote of part of a previous post, and how?

1 Like

Test: this is not a reply.[quote=ā€œplantron, post:29, topic:16718, full:trueā€]
Test: this is not a reply.
[/quote]

EDIT: click the quote button, reply to myself LOL

EDIT2: click reply on @EskimoJo 's post, click quote, copy text, abandon post, edit my own post, paste quote. It worked!

1 Like

Yeah, you can still quote, but thereā€™s no way to make it a reply, which is stupid

2 Likes

I donā€™t either.

You can skip the temporary reply. Just open the post you want to edit, scroll back to any reply you want to quote, highlight the portion of text you want to quote, and click the ā€˜Quoteā€™ popup that appears near your highlighted text.

EDIT: And anyone can click on the open space of a partial quote to see the whole original post.

1 Like

I liked discourse at first, except for the scrolling, but Iā€™m slowly coming to hate itā€¦ The weird reply mechanism is one reason; if there is an option they can enable to make it automatically quote when writing a reply, that would help. When a popular thread has many participants using reply but not quoting, it just looks like a stream of disconnected & unrelated comments.

1 Like

I feel that it could probably be laid out a bit better. But I donā€™t find it confusing or redundant at all.

Well, the discourse does require getting used to, however, once you do, itā€™s quite comfortable.

Reply to post. Click on the speech bubble on the toolbar. Done. Quote is now inline with the reply post. Alternatively, highlight the text you want to quote. Hit reply. Now the quoted text is inline

On the inline quote, there is a small toolbar on the upper right corner. One expands the quote for context, the other jumps to the quoted post.

1 Like

He speaks truth and wisdom. We must bow and listen.

I know that much, my point is in posts like this one, where myself (or other members) have simply clicked ā€œreplyā€ on an existing post (without any quoting), in order to see the context when reading you must click the little arrow next to the name. You have to do this on every post where users didnā€™t explicitly quote. There is no ā€œexpand allā€.

If I could turn on some user setting so that this was always ā€œjust doneā€ instead of having to click every time, it would enhance the user experience over 9000 percent. Between this and the ctrl-f/f3 stuff, itā€™s really becoming rather annoying to use.

I could personally do with a ā€œthreading modeā€ that lined up replies, but the way most WK users seem to reply on these forums, simple topics turn into thousands of replies, and I could imagine my desire to see convos grouped by reply might get confusing with so many levels deep replies.

In short I donā€™t see a clear/easy win, the present system seems to work, and when threads get to 100+ replies I tend to tune out anyhow, the signal/noise ratio gets pretty broken for me at that point.

Noted. We use Discourse, which is an open source project. If you like to have threading changed or bring up a discussion for it, then itā€™ll be more effective if you post over on their message board at meta.discourse.org or commit a pull request if you have the know-how.

There are many reasons why it is set up the way it is. @Diomedes presents one of them. Given how this community likes to deeply thread replies (see pre migration posts), the way Discourse handles things is a good compromise.

2 Likes