[Closed] Genki 1 & Genki 2 Study Group with Native Japanese Volunteers in Second Life starting January 2022

I would like to participate in the Genki 1 group. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I would like to join Genki 1. I just set up a second life account, so should be ready to join Nihongo Tea Room in mid-Jan. Thanks for setting this up!

2 Likes

This sounds so great! I’m struggling with the second lesson of Genki I, so it would be really helpful to have that kind of motivation to go forwards.

1 Like

As someone who is not nearly as far into WaniKani as you but also disliked Bunpro, I would highly recommend Japanese the Manga Way, by Wayne P. Lammers. I have gone through most of Tae Kim’s guide and while some things are covered in great detail, something about it just seemed to be more of a “telling” resource to me than a “teaching” one. It didn’t seem to stick, if that makes any sense.

I have also found myself wondering why Genki is so popular for beginners as it does a great job, but also seems to lack the more detailed insights I was craving. But I have finished Japanese the Manga Way, and while I still need further study and obv more practice on what I’ve learned, this book was what seemed to finally help me breach the grammar understanding barrier. The kanji and readings should be no problem for you and you can focus 100% on the information in the book. I hope it helps, can’t recommend it enough!

2 Likes

This sounds great. My Second Life account has been set up. Thank you for this opportunity.

1 Like

This sounds awesome. I set up a Second Life account and will test, if I can make it work on my super old computer. If it does, I will be joining the Genki I group :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sounds fun! I created an account and will hopefully be able to join the Genki 1 crew. Maybe by then I’ll figure out how to make the avatar not look like a monstrosity with skin absorbing parts of their clothes :fearful:

2 Likes

Sounds great, thanks for sharing! I was just about to start Genki 1 on my own, will sign up for this instead.

1 Like

Wow, this sounds super helpful and interesting. I’d really like to participate - unfortunately I’m working in health care and if I’m off on a weekend it’s usually just every other one, so I’m probably gonna have to miss out … :disappointed:

I hope everybody who’s gonna be able to attend will have great fun and learn a lot!

1 Like

Ill be looking forward to joining!

1 Like

I made a Second Life account a few days ago when I saw this thread (since OP mentioned it needs to be 2 weeks old before you can access the room where the lessons take place). My laptop is very old and slow with little memory left so it’s very laggy, so I’m not sure if I’ll be able to get through the lessons.

And 9PM is the time the little one is asleep or eating and/or getting fussy because she hasn’t fallen asleep yet so it’s unlikely I’ll be able to participate audio-wise. A morning lesson (Japan time) would be ideal for me because baby is still in a good mood and will sleep through anything in the morning (a late riser). But if that doesn’t work with other people’s schedules (especially the teachers’), then I don’t mind other times.

I’ve taken classes in university, and we covered Genki 1 and 2 already, but that was some ages ago. Since I mainly talk to my husband in bilingual Japanese/English and I speak casually, it would be nice to practice speaking keigo or more formal Japanese so it’s more natural again when I’m speaking to everyone else besides my husband, lol. I do have the Genki 2 book somewhere in the house, but I can probably get by without it for the lessons. I would be happy to just have homework again, to be honest haha.

Thanks for sharing this opportunity, by the way!

1 Like

I am tempted to join, but after taking a look at Second Life, I sadly came to the conclusion that my social anxiety is just too strong for it. I am very shy about speaking or participating, especialy when I am insecure about the language. I am always the lurking, shy type, so whenever I have to participate in a group, this is too much stress for me. It would also stress me out to be visible to others though, but not really participating. So I can’t join you all, sadly. A victory for my anxiety.
Also my laptop wouldn’t be able to perform well, we are both old already. XD

It is absolutely lovely that this is offered though!

2 Likes

This sounds pretty awesome, need to wait 'til January starts proper to find out my shifts, but if I can it’d be good to go back to the start of Genki 1 with a native and class.

Thanks for the heads up, and please keep us updated when the date/times are finalised.

(fwiw the proposed 2100JST is good for me).

As requested - thomasmichaelwallace in second life; I’m from the UK.

1 Like

That’s awesome! Thank you for sharing :upside_down_face:
I’d love to join!

1 Like

So happy to have some help in getting through the books. I’ve bought Genki1 & 2 years ago, but never started seriously to learn them.

See you!

1 Like

I’m very interested in the Genki 1 group, since I’ve started to go through the content by myself, but I don’t seem to be able to continue past unit 3. I have to check if i can make it on the time. But I’ll try!

My username in SL is GymRR, I’m from Spain. I’m looking forward to connect tomorrow, I hope it all works out smoothly. @distantflower

1 Like

I would love to sign up! Please let me know how I can get a link to the room/session !

1 Like

This sounds really interesting! I’d love to join, I’ve never made it too far in the Genki books on my own. Signing up for a Second Life account now, hope it isn’t too late :smiley:

1 Like

I’m interested in joining for Genki 1

1 Like

Hi, I’m interested in joining for Genki one. I downloaded Second Life and took a look around today. I think it’s going to take a bit for me to get used to it, but hopefully I’ll figure it all out.

1 Like