[Chrome Extension] WaniKani Companion

Hi, I’m not sure if the dev is still checking this page, but I’ve been encountering some problems with my extension not letting me see and type in answers, and I was wondering if anyone has the same problem/knows the solution.

Up until a week ago, the extension still works fine but now when I click on the Review and Lesson tabs, they just show me a blank window instead of the words & space to type in (see pics). I’ve tried reinstalling the extension, updating my browser, but it still doesn’t work. This is probably a long shot, but does anyone know how to go about fixing the problem? :confused:

<-- what shows up when I click on either lessons or reviews

I’ve having the same problem as fallingmoon above. Hoping someone else has encountered this and discovered a fix? Reinstalling doesn’t help, all clearing of chrome history etc doesn’t help.

I’ve noticed there was an update about 22 days ago on github - so I’m guessing this is what’s caused this??

https://github.com/naei/wanikani-companion

I just installed the app, and I didn’t see a notification pop up when I got more lessons. I waited over 5 minutes when I had the refresh interval set to 5 minutes. Clicking the extension icon did update the number in the badge.

fallingmoon said... Hi, I'm not sure if the dev is still checking this page, but I've been encountering some problems with my extension not letting me see and type in answers, and I was wondering if anyone has the same problem/knows the solution.

Up until a week ago, the extension still works fine but now when I click on the Review and Lesson tabs, they just show me a blank window instead of the words & space to type in (see pics). I've tried reinstalling the extension, updating my browser, but it still doesn't work. This is probably a long shot, but does anyone know how to go about fixing the problem? :/

<-- what shows up when I click on either lessons or reviews

Yes I take a look here from time to time :slight_smile:

Actually this behavior come from a security update of the Wanikani website. I’m handling this situation today, so everything should come back to normal in the next days!

seanblue said... I just installed the app, and I didn't see a notification pop up when I got more lessons. I waited over 5 minutes when I had the refresh interval set to 5 minutes. Clicking the extension icon did update the number in the badge.
Hello Seanblue, have you checked that you have Chrome's notifications enabled ?
Regarding your issue with the number of lessons/reviews in the badge, thank you for adding the issue on Github, do not hesitate to give me more information about it there.

Could you add an option to only send notifications if the number of reviews/lessons increases?
I always get notifications when I’m doing a longer session of reviews, and they are kind of useless and distracting at that time.

I’m having the same problem. I’m not getting notifications, which are enabled as I have other apps which work just fine, and it only updates when I click on it.

I did notice that my old laptop, running Windows 7 with the same updated version of Chrome, works just fine. My new laptop with Windows 10 does not work.

1 Like

Hello conan. I think it still might be related to the open issue on Github. Unfortunately I don’t have the time to work on it right now. I’ll do my best to take a look on it soon.

I appreciate the reply! :slight_smile: No rush. ^^ Thank you for making this in the first place :slight_smile:

I was wondering, I’ve been trying to get the ReOrder plugin to work but nothing wants to accept it for some reason… however I noticed that since I got this nice little doohickey here, my reviews have been in order of Meaning/Reading… could of just been random since I dont have many of them, but I wanted to confirm. Does this do a sort when you use the extension to do your reviews?

Is the Wanikani Companion Chrome Extension basically dead now? I tried to plug in the v2 API key but it didn’t work. I’m not seeing updated counts anymore.

If it is dead, is there another Chrome extension to give me current lesson/review counts? I found it helpful throughout the day to keep up with reviews.

1 Like

Hi @tekchic, Wanikani Companion creator here. I am not using Wanikani actively anymore but I will try to update the extension as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Update: :point_down:

Unfortunately the Wanikani API v2 has missing information in comparison to API v1, but also introduce breaking changes on spaced repetition system / badges. This API update would require a global revision of Wanikani Companion which I don’t have time for anymore. :confused:
The good news is that Wanikani has a fantastic community and some people already started to work on a API v2 compatible version of the extension (see here). Hopefully we will see a production-ready version of Wanikani Companion v2 or equivalent very soon. :slight_smile: Until then, as the current version is not working anymore I am going to remove it from the Chrome webstore.

I’m not sure if this project will be directly maintained from open-source contributors or if a new project will arise from it or not, however I wanted to thank you all for your support during these years. I never imagined this simple Chrome extension will have a such success and so many downloads!

またいつか :wave:

I’ve actually just submitted a pull request that restores general functionality to the extension. It’s my first ever pull request and I have no idea what I’m actually doing, but I think it should be working fine now!