Changed text weights on characters

We finally did it. This was previewed back in March. Given the positive responses we went ahead with the change.

The reason for the change is the improved legibility. It can be harder to parse when there are a lot of strokes going on.

Enjoy.

(The change should go live in like five minutes of this post)

28 Likes

Didn’t even realize how much trouble I was having reading some of the kanji until this change went through. Great change!

5 Likes

I thought I went crazy for a second. Looks nice though.

5 Likes

Nice nice :smiley:

2 Likes

Sounds like some people are getting missing radical issues for the image-based radicals. You updated those, I presume? Is there some kind of server-side force-refresh you can do? :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

The file path is exactly the same, so the image should load (either the cached old version or the new one). It shouldn’t show up missing.

Inspecting a page with radical images loaded it looks like the image path is missing the file extension. If I had to make a guess this is cause of the loading issue for some people. I’ll look into getting this fixed.

7 Likes

Ok. The correction is live now.

Does it fix the issue for those experiencing the radical images not loading?

4 Likes

If I navigate to the item yes. But not here (item below is cleat):

This is in preview btw. No problem on the main site.

2 Likes

Can you try refreshing again?

3 Likes

No change. Tried closing/reopening too.

2 Likes

Can you tell me what that is? (click on it)

3 Likes

It is Cleat.

2 Likes

It is loading now. Looks good :smiley:

Also:

:sob: :sob: :sob:

4 Likes

There’s a limit on how many “likes” you can gives?

4 Likes

Fifty per day, supposedly, though I’ve never managed to hit it…

4 Likes

I like it. It was odd for a while but then I went on normally. It does look better, so thank you.

2 Likes

Actually, Kristen doubled it. Basic trust level has 100, Member has 150, and Regular has 200.

7 Likes

This is good!
There were some radicals that I found to be very hard to see (including “Tofu”, and “Squid”).

Sadly, “Chinese” still has a heavy font-weight.

4 Likes

Hmm… :?

4 Likes

¯\(ツ)

I’ll try clearing my cache.

2 Likes