Categorization of Learned WaniKani Japanese Words

I think WaniKani is great for memorizing words and phrases. I can definitely tell that I know a lot more words than I would without it, especially reading. I am mostly a visual learner, so learning Kanji rather than just listening and speaking has been great for me. I think something that could help me a lot, is if all of the words that I have learned were put on a giant poster or digital document and categorized to make finding the words much easier. I think this would help because when I’m writing something, or trying to talk to someone in Japanese on the phone, I could look at this giant compilation of categorized words and easily recall information that I could use. I have a hard time remembering all the words/phrases on WaniKani without seeing the actual Kanji sometimes and I think that this would help that problem. I think that this would help reinforce my knowledge. I’m not sure what categories I could really separate the words into? I’m only on level 13 right now anyway, but I wanted to spend more time using the knowledge I’ve gained in context.

This could be similar to a Thesaurus or a Guide book I suppose? But more in a format of a Wanikani cheat sheet. And preferably when I make this, I’m not going to put any English on this sort of cheat sheet.

2 Likes

If you want something just for now, there’s a Wanikani wallpaper generator:

https://hexagenic.net/wanikaniwallpaper-js/

5 Likes

Nice. So I think that this is great, I wish they could include vocabulary words on the wallpaper. I messaged one of the dev team members about their thoughts on this discussion. Maybe adjusting the scripts wouldn’t be too difficult for categorizing vocabulary words into a sort of wallpaper.

1 Like

Also, I wanted to say it looked like this wallpaper spaces the similar looking Kanji close to each other, which I thought was super helpful.

1 Like

This is not just you, it’s a by product of the WK learning method. Everybody develops the visually queued memory recall, but listening or unprompted recall is very difficult.

That’s why other study methods are important, and why apps like KaniWani were developed to train the brain to flex other ways of Kanji recall.

2 Likes

I figured this wasn’t just me, hence why I posted it here haha to try to get other people to relate to this. I totally agree that other study methods are important. I think for me, having a wallpaper and using the words I learn verbally with someone on a phone call would be immensely helpful to reinforce my knowledge. I will definitely have to look into KaniWani! I briefly looked at it already. One of the main reasons I bought the lifetime subscription for this website is because of all the third party capabilities are amazing! I think the customization of third party apps is what makes this website so good because there seems to be a highly active community :slight_smile:

1 Like

See, I’ve used both KaniWani and KameSame a bit but I can’t really stand KaniWani. For all the fancy features like stroke order, pitch accent, and example sentences, it requires you to manually add synonyms and doesn’t recognize words that have similar/the same definition at all, whereas KameSame gives you some leeway with similar items. For example, if prompted ‘underground’, would you type 地下 or 地中? Only one would be correct in KaniWani. I wish KaniWani had some leeway, I’d totally use it all the time if it did.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.