Can you read the corona poster?

Saw this while waiting at the vet’s office yesterday, and thought it might be a fun real-world challenge for other people learning to read…

18 Likes

Are you sure this poster is in Japanese? There aren’t nearly enough cute mascot characters on it. :stuck_out_tongue:

30 Likes

Wow I’m surprised at how much I actually understand on this lol

4 Likes

My favorite is this adorably sinister black widow spider…

11 Likes

Surprised the gov hasn’t tried to “sexy”/“anime”-up the virus…or…have they and I just wasn’t paying attention?

3 Likes

Here is my favorite poster for my last trip. Still cant read it all…

I just love how everything looks like some anime over there. There was work been done on the footpath with barricades been held up with plastic school girls…

5 Likes

In a nutshell, it’s a warning about phone scams.

Ah yes, the main crime in Japan: phoning old people and convincing them to transfer money.

1 Like

In Taiwan right now. Am I allowed to participate?

5 Likes

Sort of can work out the general message, just not the finer points.
But looking at it without reading you would think that the granny is just surprised she can get a 80% discounted a motorcycle with the brown dog coming to tell here about 100% finance.

3 Likes

I love the one on the right. Cat falling out of the train, still happy :slight_smile:

1 Like

Haha, I can kind of see that.
(What that sentence actually says is that 80% of the people who fall for that scam are 65 and older.)

Is “くらしあんぜん” meant as “暮らし安全” here?

1 Like

I read it as “Life security”, but I am probably wrong.
That poster is actually what made me want to learn to read, but I still have a LONG way to go :slight_smile:

1 Like

I guess it’d be kinda wrong to rip off an information poster, but that would definitely look nice hanging on a wall.

I wonder if there’s anywhere y’can buy these things?

This made me look thought my photos. Found another one… Taken the same day as the last one too.

What is the kanji in-between “child” and “dashi”? I am guessing is not carrying.

5 Likes

Are you asking about 飛? とびだし is “leaping out.”

4 Likes

That’s the one. Thanks very much. Did not think it had anything to do with soup.
I tried to find it by looking for radicals I know, but it looks like it is a radical itself.

1 Like

Yeah it’s its own radical in WK, the “fly” radical.

1 Like

To find unknown kanji, I suggest to use the handwriting option of google translate. It’s surprisingly good at guessing the correct kanji out of a messy scribble.

3 Likes