Can someone explain this phrase to me?

@Belthazar @Okanekure @theghostofdenzo

I used to hate writing essays in grade school because they wouldn’t let you use idioms. It makes you realize how much English is a clear as mud sometimes. :wink:

4 Likes

I’ve always thought that if they ever had an English N1 in Australia, it would probably include a paragraph like:

“Me mate Jono asked for a durrie, but I saw him buying loosies at the servo so I though that was a bit crook.”

3 Likes

I guess everyone has already covered everything there is to cover, but I figured I’d handle 痛え and 出すもん出しな‌ in a bit more detail.

〜え is a very common (informal/dialect-dependent) transformation of adjectives ending with the sounds 〜あい and 〜おい. Other examples: 強い→強え(つええ)、うまい→うめえ、ない→ねえ So in fact, the first half literally says, ‘If you don’t want to have a painful experience,…’

出すもん出しな‌: the key to understanding this was to know that masu-stem + な = imperative. I had no idea, and it’s nice that somebody brought it up. It really is a shortened form of なさい based on the dictionaries I checked. I think the meaning of this phrase is actually fairly intuitive, and even if it’s quite threatening in this context, it’s also quite indirect: what needs to be taken out isn’t specified. 出す物 would literally be ‘things characterised by taking out’ and in this particular context, they are ‘things that one would take out when being attacked by a mugger’ i.e. 強盗(ごうとう)におそわれる時に出す物. The instruction basically says, ‘You know what to hand over. Hurry up and get it all out.’ I can’t think of another specific example right now, but I’m pretty sure there’s another phrase along the lines of やる時(に)やる meaning ‘to act when it’s time to act’ or ‘to do what one needs to’. (I may have come across it in a Konosuba episode. IDK.)

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.