Can someone check this makes sense?

僕の暇な時間 に 日本語を勉強中

Not sure i have this right. Grammar or kanji.

If anyone can help check and correct it would really help!

勉強します/勉強する
(You need a verb)

For info, I would have said
僕は暇なとき、日本語を勉強します。

Doesnt this mean i will be studying in my free time?

Yes, it does. I assumed that was the intended meaning of the original sentence.

No, sorry i didnt make that clear -_-

I was going for ‘I am studying Japanese in my spare time’

Err, I actually don’t see the difference.

The sentence basically means “I study japanese in my free time”. It can also mean “I will study in my free time”, based on context, though, but that was not my intended meaning (sorry, I misread your question).

Putting 中 after something, as in 勉強中, indicates that you’re in the middle of that thing right now.

Using the verb, as @Nath suggests, indicates that if you get some free time you’ll use it to study Japanese. You study Japanese in your free time. (You might be studying it now, but the emphasis is on the studying, not the right now.)

Is that pronounced なか or ちゅう?

ちゅう
You are more likely to find 中 pronounced なか if it is preceded by hiragana. e.g. ~の中 =~のなか

あ、なるほど。ありがとうございます!

You still need a verb though, yeah? The sentence feels very incomplete without one.

To me 僕の暇な時間に日本語を勉強中 reads as “In my spare time I’m studying Japanese”, which I’m not 100% sure but sounds ungrammatical to me. 勉強中 is more suited if you’re literally studying the moment someone asks you (どうするの?暇なので勉強中)

For verbs you do as a habit, I would use the present form. Just as in English you can use present form for both present actions and habits, say “I see the building” or “I eat carrots”, in Japanese you can say the same, with the added future tense ambiguity.

Eg.
私は肉を食べない
watashi wa niku wo tabenai
I don’t eat meat (habit)
------------------------------------------------------This sentence is present tense and describes habit/lifestyle
お腹が痛いから肉を食べない
onaka ga itai kara niku wo tabenai
My stomach hurts, so I won’t eat meat.
------------------------------------------------------Add some context and it becomes future tense
その曇をみる
sono kumo wo miru
I see that cloud
----------------------------------Or it could just be regular present tense (you could use te-iru to be clearer)

Just my two cents on the issue, I’m by no means an expert

Yeah, I don’t see how anything changed from “spare” to “free” or how that would really mean much anyway even if it did.

Yes, you can finish it by following 勉強中 with です。
But I don’t think the original sentence would sound natural even with です at the end.

You’d still have that を there, making 日本語 a direct object of something, and 勉強中 and です aren’t resolving that.

This finally happened
This finally happened

Isn’t 日本語 the object of study?

Sorry im only a beginner :’(

But in your sentence study is a noun, so it can’t take an object.

I can see how adding 中 kind of gives it an “actiony” feel because it expresses duration, but 中 is itself a noun acting as a suffix there and doesn’t change the situation.

It depends.

From my very personal notes:

Using 「ちゅう」and 「じゅう」with time spans:

Both these readings can also be used with time span expressions like 来月 and 晩. While「ちゅう」is used to point a specific time within an interval,「じゅう」covers the length of time from start to finish.

来月中 (らいげつちゅう) = within next month (at some point in time)
来月中 (らいげつじゅう) = throughout next month (all of it included)

Now, you may be wondering: “when reading, how do I find out if it’s 「ちゅう」or 「じゅう」?” Just like it was explained with 「間」, by adding a 「に」after 「中」, you’re showing that the action was done at some point in the interval described. This means that the correct reading would be 「ちゅう」.

Examples:

今週中に買い物にいかなければいけない。
Within this week, I have to go shopping.

今週中勉強しなければいけない。
I’ll have to study throughout this entire week.

なか isn’t related to time spans.

Err, I actually don’t see the difference.

I think what he wants to say is “I study Japanese habitually during my free time.” versus “Next time I’m free, I will study Japanese.”

I believe that’s the nuance he’s asking you about.

Yep, thats what i was going for :slight_smile: