This finally happened

Can I get this one purposely wrong so Koichi-san comes to visit me?

33 Likes

I will make it a leech so that the Crabigator stays with me forever.
That’s perfectly normal, right?

19 Likes

Yeah, that was a exciting moment for me too. But having gotten it purposely wrong, I can tell you that the visit is not a pleasant one so I would suggest against it. An angry and wrathful Koichi is no Koichi that you want to meet. Trust me on this one.

4 Likes

I find it interesting that the example sentence is 鰐蟹で漢字を猛勉強中です when a sentence came up like this earlier. I agreed with @Leebo 's post which was this, but now I’m second guessing.

How does 鰐蟹で漢字を猛勉強中です work as a sentence exactly since the を implies a direct object. I found an example on maggiesensei that is 今、日本語を勉強中の人は、このサイトに毎日、来て下さいね, so can adding 中 just allow 勉強 to act as a verb in this case kind of like a している ending? (sorry about spinning this thread into a question lol)

3 Likes

Do let me know if that works.

2 Likes

Well, I could always be wrong. That would just be news to me in that case. It would be an exception to the rule, since 勉強中 still isn’t a verb.

Yeah but that would also mean I would be wrong since I agreed with you, and THAT never happens. Except for the 5196 times on reviews.

EDIT: nvm, foudn on tae kim. Apparently it can replace している for suru verbs

USING 「ちゅう」 INSTEAD OF 「~している」
「中」 can be attached to a noun, in order to indicate that the noun is currently taking place. This essentially takes the place of 「している」 and means pretty much the same thing. In this usage, 「中」 is always read as 「ちゅう」. This may be obvious but the noun must be an actionable item such as “search” or “investigate”. Basically, it’s any noun that can be followed by 「する」 such as 「仕事」 or 「勉強」.

3 Likes

I asked a teacher at school, and she said that it’s said, but perhaps wouldn’t be accepted in proper written Japanese. I’m not sure she 100% understood my question. So it may be a case of “you’ll hear this but it wouldn’t be right on the JLPT.” I’ll need to check more.

And yes, regarding the tae kim thing, I think everyone knows that 中 can do that in just a standalone context. I’ve never seen one of those words take an object with 中 after it though. It meaning している and being interchangeable with している in every context wasn’t obvious to me from the descriptions I encountered. Kind of like how verb + の and verb + こと essentially mean the same thing when used in standalone situations, but when fitting them into other grammar, they are not always interchangeable.

1 Like

OMG I KNEW THE ANSWER AND YOU RUINED IT FOR ME! I WAS ACTUALLY GOING TO OFFER KNOWLEDGE TO Leebo LIKE OMG!

K, bye.

2 Likes

Aw don’t be sad, leebo is a noob so you’ll get plenty of opportunities!

2 Likes

No worries, love. I’m okay. I would offer some love to your comments, but it’ll have to wait 7 hours.

1 Like

Haha for a second when he said love, I thought he was referring to you as that…

but he was, wasn’t he?

1 Like

I was.

3 Likes

You were like: Nah, this ain’t possible… maybe I’m reading it wrong or something… :joy::joy:

2 Likes

haha ok…did not realize you guys were that close…my bad…i will give you some 二人きり time then…

Unless you wanna join.

1 Like

Poor BK, what is he going to think when he comes back to his thread

1 Like

I guess it’s just a happenin’ place!

2 Likes

Probably stuff…and then maybe some things…

That is just how these forums work…one second you are asking an honest question or saying something interesting and getting a relevant response…and the next your thread has been hijacked for diabolical purposes…

1 Like