Can 解 be removed?

My most hated kanji is 解. Every time I see it I’m filled with pure rage. It’s hard to express how much I despise 解. It’s just such a half-assed kanji. So many strokes, and for what? It’s just made of 3 common kanji in a boring arrangement. Whoever made this one was either malicious or incompetent. I’m sure I can’t be the only one who feels this way about this dreadful character. I haven’t learned this kanji on WaniKani yet, but I’m dreading the day that I do. I request that this abominable character be removed from this site so that nobody has to have their eyes cursed with it.

20 Likes

了解(りょうかい)、お客様(きゃくさま)

20 Likes

Welcome to radicals, I guess? :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

My problem is that it has more strokes than average and does nothing interesting with them. The thing is an affront to my eyes.

2 Likes

You’re just gonna love

18 Likes

So you’re saying you want to 解除 解? :thinking:

27 Likes

正解です。‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎

28 Likes

Not gonna lie, I liked reading your rant. On the other hand, I really like 解. What you called boring arrangement of radicals, I call simplicity. Roots of polynomials are extremely fundamental in algrbra, which is very dear to me. Simple isn’t bad. In fact, it’s great. The person who invented this wasn’t distracted by the flashy novelty of something like 狐 or 凸 but got their sh*t together to go back to the … roots.

I am looking forward to level 21 to learn this nice little, 3-part story in 13 strokes <3

13 Likes

I think I am the only one who doesn’t bother with how many strokes a kanji has. :laughing:

12 Likes

This is exactly why I never bother with strokes. I only look at radicals :sweat_smile:

Well, as you can see, you are not the only one :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

relief! I am not alone

even in my native language (portuguese), we have things like á, à, ã, Â, ç,

why bother to know when to write them when you throw them in google and see which one is correct :smile:

same with kanji

5 Likes

Reminds me when I was studying French and German, it was too much hassle to learn how to put the accents/umlauts on the computer so I just typed it without them then used spellcheck to fix it haha.

7 Likes

iu

22 Likes

in that case I think you should be a little more constructive and suggest a better arrangement…

3 Likes

Imo there’s nothing especially rage inducing in this one. I guess it’s one of the earlier “more complex” kanji and that’s why it stands out?

2 Likes

To my embarassment, I didn’t even remember this Kanji. I apparently burned it over a year ago. I might remember it in context, at least that’s what I hope.

3 Likes

It’ll put them in 鬱.

5 Likes

I had my share of why “is this a kanji” in my wanikani trip. Welcome i guess

3 Likes

Let me clarify, since people seem to misunderstand me:
I don’t mind complexity in kanji. I welcome it, in fact. In truth, 解 is not a very complex kanji. It only has 13 strokes. However, that’s still a few more strokes than average, and for what? To create the least interesting kanji ever? It’s really a shame, since they could’ve used this particular combination in interesting ways. Unfortunately, they’re all just placed right next to each other, in an arrangement even a child would find exceedingly ponderous.

4 Likes

誤解があるようです。

20 Likes