Blacklisting words / NSFW / Another 金玉 thread

Holy cow. I have no need of this script, but still 1000 likes to you.

Objective: I want to temporarily suppress arbitrary items.
(Extraneous information: which ones, why)

Sinyaven: correctly identifies the objective without getting side-tracked
Also Sinyaven: makes it possible

Well done. You have my vote for the honorary level 61 medal.

11 Likes

It should also help people who want to filter out things like 本塁打 or 河豚

Bravo :clap:

10 Likes

you are a lovely human being, thank you

1 Like

It’s amazing how the idea of wanting to remove NSFW words is more charged than the words themselves.

7 Likes

I mean, is 金玉 a nsfw word, though? It’s just a body part.

In cases like this I do reviews on my phone, because I don’t want my coworkers to see “alien symbols” flashing on a pink-purple background on my screen, because from a slightly broader perspective that’s just weird :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

It’s not a scientific term though, as in biological or medical one. You can argue the same way for sex being just a natural part of the life cycle, therefore, being sfw.

Apart from body parts, there is plenty of vocab about suicide which I find triggering. It’s not that it’s unsightly, it straight up ruins my mood and current review session. And the conclusion to all previous threads about it was (as op mentioned) pretty much: it’s a part of out life, shut up. Which is duh. It would be nice to have some rigidity gone to allow hiding some stuff.

1 Like

Why do these threads devolve so quickly into ridiculous witty one-liner competitions? I’m honestly baffled as to how this

reply has 9 likes. I mean, sure, maybe it’s funny, but it’s kinda irrelevant and unhelpful. And then

is just a non sequitur. Nobody is saying that the average Japanese person will get offended/surprised/weirded out by you studying a word in their language. However, a lot of these people seem to be unable to picture a situation in which seeing the word for ‘testicles’ or ‘STD’ or ‘carnal desires’ would be unwished for. This strikes me as very weird.

Very well-phrased.

Despite the misleading title of this thread, I’m fairly certain that this extends beyond the scope of family-friendliness. I’d also very much like to be able to remove all baseball terminology from my WK queue forever, since I have no interest in ever playing or spectating a game.

Tldr; there are many reasons why one may want to blacklist a word, but I don’t understand why everyone feels the need to ask why for each specific word, especially when they don’t intend to do anything with that information anyway. Maybe they don’t want to see it outside, maybe they don’t feel it’s important, maybe it brings up bad memories, but what it is in particular is not information that you need.

17 Likes

HOW DARE YOU QUESTION THE CURATION OF THE CRABIGATOR?

7 Likes

Since vocab changes nothing from the level system, I feel like the option to remove nsfw (honestly while 金玉 is pretty funny to me, i don’t think it gives any new readings to be worth having a more crude nsfw term on the site. Feels rather out of place too, so I wouldnt be opposed to removing it and getting a new word on its place) and triggering words (suicide related) wouldn’t be uncalled for.

The script is pretty great though, since you can pick and choose as you please. Just felt like an option that could be implemented natively

1 Like

Crabigator is absolute

1 Like

Could the Crabigator make a script that blacklists the Crabigator?

2 Likes

amazing!

i don’t care about NSFW items purrsonally but maybe i’ll kick all the baseball stuff in the long grass lol! oh wait, they’ll just be moved but not removed right?

well, it’s very nice that you made this script. kintama is defo a favourite of mine but i can see why some people may not feel comfortable writing in a large letters on a screen their boss can see hehe.

1 Like

I was thinking they would just linger undone in the review pile and keep getting skipped. So you wouldn’t see them, but you also would never get down to zero reviews. Until you picked a good time to do those (not at work or whatever) and un-suppresed them. Which would work for the NSFW-ish ones, but not for the triggering-types. It can’t remove them from having to be done at some point in WaniKani.

But then, for vocab I guess would be ok to just defer them indefinitely. There are no items that depend on them to be unlocked. You could end up at level 60 with some undone vocab in the lessons/review piles and be perfectly happy with that.

2 Likes

i wonder… i think if i did 1000’s of items, i’d prob feel compelled to finish. it would be bitter not to!

then again, when i got to level 40, i started getting pretty irritated at the rapidly decreasing usefulness/increasing obscurity of some vocab lol. i really wanna complete WK though. the lot!

Yeah, it would only work for vocab unless you were strict about what kanji you hid and made sure you had enough to level up.

I thought I would feel the same way but two months after hitting 60 I turned on vacation mode and haven’t looked back since. :joy:

3 Likes

Removed means, instantly marked correct?

I have no issues with balls and butts etc (but I get why OP would want to get rid of such. why are people lashing out at this poor guy), I’d love not to see these goddam variations of CRITICISM vocab anymore lol.

I guess WK team hesitates to add a simple ignore flag on their side, because it ruins THE wonderful intended site usage route experience aka “no you can’t skip over inu which means dog” even after lvl 10+ … duhh

tw also suicide vocab upsets me. not a big deal. just scary word for me. would like to hide. but big gator said naahh.

4 Likes

Maybe it would be nice to make a full blown post in the “api-and-third-party-apps” section of the forum?

This script could be useful in various scenario (not just NSFW words) and it would be great to be able reference it easily.

2 Likes

Done :slight_smile:

No, they still remain in the review queue. I think for the use case described in this thread, these reviews can still be done later – just not at work.

Yes, they still remain in the review queue – so after the filtered review session ends, WK will tell you that “new reviews became available” (the items that were skipped in the review session), and also the dashboard will tell you that you have reviews waiting.

2 Likes

Sorry but this is so silly. What are you going to do if you have to explain to your Japanese doctor you have pain in your 金玉? Language learning is inherently NSFW unless you only plan to speak to your grandma.

3 Likes

To be fair, 金玉 is colloquial language. In a consultation with a doctor, you might use the word 睾丸 instead.

3 Likes