とーちゃーん‼︎あかなくなった‼︎

Daaaad!! The lock became stuck!!

——— 63 ———

よ、とお、はあっ、すっげー‼︎

Oh-, hoi, hah!, amaaazing!!

——— 64 ———

うあ… ねちまった…

Uhh… I accidentally fell asleep…

(I really needed the cheat-sheet for this one :point_up:)

よつばー、おーい、まだトイレかー?

Yotsuba-, oi-, are you still using the toilet?

おーいよつば入ってんだろ?よつばー?

Oi, Yotsuba I’m entering, alright? Yotsuba?

——— 65 ———

カギしまつてる→つまり中にいる→でも返事がない…….

The lock is locked → which means she’s inside → but she isn’t answering …….

あ、れえ⁉︎いない⁉︎

(Maybe あれいない could be “that person isn’t(here)”?)

カギはー……あ!壊れたのかー⁉︎

As for the lock…… ah! It’s broken!?

——— 66 ———

どこ行くのー?

Where are you off to?

本屋さーん

The bookstore

今日もあっついなぁー

It’s hot today

——— end ———

4 Likes

On page 64 the meaning is more “yotsuba, you are in there right?” since it’s progressive.
Page 65 of your transcript is a small tsu しまってる it really doesn’t look like it in the book, I know… :expressionless:
Also page 65 I read that as a split up and elongated あれ which can be a shout out at something surprising. (sorry can only find a monolingual entry for it which is a bit harder: あれ
[感]感動したり驚いたり、また不審に思ったりしたときに発する語。あら。おや。「あれ、変だなあ」 )
Edit: scratch that, found it Jisho.org: Japanese Dictionary

Hope you had fun with the pages.

4 Likes

So it would be more natural for him to say 入るだろ if he’s warning her that he’s entering/asking for permission? Thanks for the insight :pray: I thought 入る was reserved for the act of entering, and that something like 中 would be used for the state of being inside.

:expressionless:

I felt like that could be a thing but I also couldn’t find the JP-English dictionary entry, thanks for looking it up for me :grin:

I did!

1 Like

Yes hairu is entering something. So the progressive of it 入っている is “being in a state one created by the action”. So entering and then being in this state kinda means being inside ^^. I would totally see him saying 入るだろ if he was anouncing hes entering now like you proposed (and is unsure if he should). Maybe he would use 入るよ or something to give the sentence a more assertive feel?

You can often also see this kind of meaning with kuru for example 来ている would probably be translated as “is here”. Or more finely grained as “being in the state created by coming here”.

Progressive is one of the fun things in Japanese. Note that not all progressive forms have this meaning. They can also indicate an ongoing action, prime example: 勉強している, that one started before.

2 Likes

This is good to know :sweat_smile: initially I would just have thought of it as referring to the time between grabbing the door handle and having crossed the threshold, so I guess Japanese became slightly more ambiguous to me :stuck_out_tongue: nothing new about that ^^;

2 Likes

I read another three pages🙃

よつばと!vol1, cha2, pp67,70-71 🍀

——— 67 ———

そっとしておこう

Best not to interfere (“leave it as it is” according to the cheat sheet)

——— 70 ———

あれ⁉︎ よつばちゃん

Huh!? Yotsuba

なにしてんの?

What are you up to?

あ!おとなりさん

Ah! The Neighbor

のきれいじゃない方だ

who isn’t pretty

えっ、なにそれ⁉︎

Eh- what’s that supposed to mean!?

ちゃんとお姉ちゃんの名前おぼえてよー、風香っていうの

Properly remember my name, which is to say: Fuuka

ふーか?

Fuuka?

——— 71 ———

そう、風 香るーと書いて、ふ。う。か

That’s right, it is written “wind” “pleasant fragrance” Fu•u•ka

(to smell sweet/pleasant, but that phrase doesn’t match her presentation. Well, “pleasant fragrance” doesn’t either but whatever^^;)

わけ、わかんねー‼︎

I don’t understand the explanation!!

和姦、ね‼︎” … thanks Jisho :sweat:

…で何してるの?よつばちゃん

So, what are you doing, Yotsuba?

——— end ———

4 Likes

I’ve had a long day, so I just read one page for forms sake:/

よつばと!vol1, cha2, pp72 🍀

——— 72 ———

ふーか!これおして!

Fuuka! Press (the button)

へ?何?何か用なの?

He? What? You want me to help you?

うんっ、おしてっ

Yes, press

はい

Yes (sort of a yes, what can I do for you)

人でてきたー、だれー?

A person came out, who is it?

えっ⁉︎

Eh!?

——— end ———

5 Likes

Keep going :smiley: 何か用なの? I would translate more like “Do you have some business (with them)?”

3 Likes

I was leaning in that direction too, but Jisho gave me this result for 何か用 and it fits with よつば not being able to reach the bell, so that is what I went with.

2 Likes

I think that’s a misunderstanding because some stuff is omitted. If you would say that sentence without any context the translation would make sense. For example if the lady coming out of the house said it. So meaning “do you have business with me” but in more normal english “may I help you” . But when you mean to help (really Help) someone you would say something else.
And the context is (for me at least) clear enough that fuuka wants to help yotsuba. If she was to ask if she should help she would use something like 手伝う or similar.

Hard to explain, maybe someone else can chime in… Do you get the gist though?

4 Likes

I think so, thanks for the explanation :slightly_smiling_face:

A thought: maybe this distinction, based on context and patterns of use, could be unclear to a Japanese child as well, and so よつば is like “yes, you can help me, press the button” while 風香 meant to say “do you have business with them” ?

3 Likes

I read two pages today… I’ll update the read every day challenge thread tomorrow…

よつばと! vol1, cha2, pp73-74🍀

——— 73 ———

風香ちゃんじゃないどうかしたの?

Fuuka, nothing’s wrong is it? (What exactly is じゃない doing here??)

え、いえあの

Eh, no um

ふーか!あいさつして、あいさつして

Fuuka! Greet her, greet her

へ⁉︎

He!?

こんにちは上村さん

Good day mrs Uemura

ふーかはあいさつうまいね、よーし、よつばもだ

Fuuka is good at greetings!! Alright, I’ll also do it!!

——— 74 ———

こんにちは‼︎よつばだよ‼︎

Good day, I’m Yotsuba!!

…はい、こんにちは

… yes, good day

じゃーな‼︎バイバイ‼︎

Well then!! Bye bye :wave:

なにイ⁉︎

What the!?

——— end ———

so sleepy rn

2 Likes

It’s 00:30 now and I haven’t managed to get around to reading よつばと! today. I’m taking some English lit courses at uni and two of them assign us a novel a week, I’m a bit behind on the readings so this weekend I read Dune, yesterday I read “salt fish girl” by Larissa Lai, and today I read “mind of my mind” by Octavia Butler (these are for a course on North-American West coast sci-fi, it’s a fun topic). So for the moment I’m caught up with the sci-fi but I’m still one novel behind in my gothic literature class, and I have two other courses besides, so I’m skipping Yotsuba today, maybe tomorrow, I’ll see how things go. Between uni and Japanese I haven’t had time to do anything else lately, and for a few days now I’ve finished my Japanese routine after 1AM every night. That’s just not sustainable:/

4 Likes

Its 2 sentences. The first is a question formulated in negative kinda like “You’re Fuka, aren’t you” “What’s the matter?” (At least I suspect, them being in different lines in the speech bubble. Maybe even different bubbles)

Better to concentrate on your studies and getting good nights sleep. Maybe you will have time on the weekend to get some yotsuba cuteness to relax? :smiley:

3 Likes

This makes a lot of sense, and I feel like I ought to have caught that:p

Definitely going to do that now👍

I hope so, but if I can fit an hour in in the middle of the day tomorrow then I’ll try that too. I’m not giving up on reading every day unless I really have to.

4 Likes

I suppose I never really took literature classes when I was in college, but that sounds like a really intense schedule of reading! Good on you for hanging in at all; I don’t think I could hang with so many novels so fast even without Japanese on the side.

3 Likes

If I read for two hours a day per class I should be able to keep up I think (I haven’t timed myself/done the math, maybe I should), but it’s very easy to fall behind I’ve noticed. Also, three of the four courses I’m taking strongly recommended that we start reading the required readings over the Xmas vacation :sweat_smile: so they know what they’re demanding of us.

As for Japanese, I know I’m dedicating too much time to it technically, but after I started reading I’ve felt like I’ve been making so much progress I just can’t stop myself:p

4 Likes

Oh yeah, you’re doing great! I mean, of course coursework remains more important, but as much as possible, I don’t want to see you have to put it down for too long! Excited to watch your progress.

Best of luck with classes as well.

3 Likes

I read another couple pages of よつばと! today​:upside_down_face: I spent a bit too long trying to parse them given my uni workload (and my ambitions of combining uni and Japanese with having a social life on occasion​:sweat_smile:), so I might possibly have to limit myself to a page per day on some days. Oh well :man_shrugging:

よつばと! vol1, cha2, pp 75-76 🍀

——— 75 ———

だからね?あれは用もないのに押しちゃだめなのよ?

That’s why, you see? If you push (the doorbell) without having business with a person it’s no good, alright?

…ふーん…

…Hmmm…

わかった?

Did you understand (what I said)?

…うん!

… yes!

…あんまりわかってないような…

…I have a feeling you don’t understand very much…

あれ?

Huh?

よつばちゃんそれ…パジャマ?ーにスリッパじゃない⁉︎靴は

Yotsuba, is that… a pajamas? And (not, rhetorical) slippers as well!? Shoes (not sure what は is supposed to do when it’s just 靴は)

——— 76 ———

おー!くつはこのまえ新しいの買ってもらった!

Ohh! (Dad is, I guess) buying new shoes now. (Or these shoes/slippers were recently bought?)

とりあえずよわつばちゃん行こうか

Let’s head to your house right now, alright?

おー!くるか?いらっしゃいませ‼︎

Ohh! Are we going back? Welcome!! (Hmm, welcome doesn’t really fit here does it? Could Yotsuba just be saying “welcome” in anticipation of Fuuka coming in with her when they’re back? I guess so, but I don’t think I’ve ever encountered anticipatory いらっしゃいませ before, how much of a thing is it?)

あいたー

Ouch- (Edit: or I guess “I opened it”, at first I thought it was a variation of 痛 and that he had hurt his fingers getting the lock unstuck, but past tense of 開く also fits and is how the cheat sheet interprets it)

こりゃさっさと交換した方がいいな

It would be good to get this replaced quickly.

近くで売ってるトコあったっけなぁ…

Wasn’t there a place selling (locks) nearby…?

——— end ———

3 Likes

Typo :smiley:

It is just the topic marker. It introduces the shoes as topic and leaves everything she now might say with the shoes as topic to the imagination. Hard to translate. Maybe “What about shoes?”

てもらう is a grammar meaning somebody does something for the benefit of me. Its in past tense so she had someone (I also expect the Dad but its not clear) buy her shoes recently. Since she is saying くつ and not スリッパ she is not talking about the ones she is currently wearing though. That’s the whole thing with the previous part where Fuka introduces くつ as topic and yotsuba now fills the topic with life ^^.

I take the same interpretation as you. Basically I think that is just yotsuba being a child. Nobody would seriously say that in this moment.

Much to deliberate for just 2 Pages of “easy” Manga right? ^^

4 Likes