Benkyou - study WaniKani on the go with swipe flashcards. iOS and Android

Thanks for making and sharing this. I personally find it most useful for the critical item reviews. I use the self study script + additional filters (Leech training) on desktop but I’ve noticed fresh critical items don’t always show up in the review.

1. If you could figure out a how to get critical items plus leech training into a review that would be amazing.

2. I don’t think WaniKani shares the audio in the API but if there was a way to get the audio on card turn over that would as well be icing on the cake!

Thanks for your hard work.

2 Likes

This looks good! I’ve been looking for a way to reinforce my recognition of katakana (which I still haven’t completely memorized yet). From a quick look, seems like this will be very useful for that.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback. I’ll see if I can incorporate those features at some point. WaniKani doesn’t share the audio API, but I wonder if there’s some other service that provides it.

I’m not familiar with leech training. What makes something a leech?

1 Like

Thanks! Let me know how that works for you. Because I’m way past learning hiragana and katakana, I’m not sure if I built the best UI for those sections. I would love to hear your feedback on that. If you find anything annoying let me know!

I downloaded a shared Anki 10k katakana deck. I plugged in a script that makes it look like WaniKani too. All I have to do is add the audio files from forvo as I study.

The audio isn’t even really that necessary for most words. It helped me dial in my katakana pretty quickly!

Hi! The app looks great! Just gonna double down on the leech training suggestion. If I understood correctly, leeches are items the you keep getting wrong on the srs but not enough that they’re included on the critical items list.

There are scripts for training them but I don’t think there’s any app at the moment, unless you make your own anki deck or something.

Thanks again for your hard work on the app!

2 Likes

Thanks, I think I’ll add a way to set a threshold for Critical Items next. That should let you target leeches.

1 Like

This looks fantastic! I’ve actually gone through kanji on the WaniKani site myself when I felt like I needed a little extra study for certain kanji, but eventually it felt too tedious. I love that you’ve created a way to study Wanikani specific items in a simple way outside the official WaniKani interface, and even go beyond current levels to get ahead/prepped for things like JLPT! Looking forwards to using this!

1 Like

This is an amazing idea! Thank you so much!

Do you think it’s possible to have a Burned category so that we have a chance to review the radicals, kanji and vocabulary?

How do you feel about an option to select kanji from multiple levels for review?

1 Like

Thank you! Let me know if there’s anything I can improve

Thank you so much!

Do you think it’s possible to have a Burned category so that we have a chance to review the radicals, kanji and vocabulary?

I think I might be able to do that. It might take me a while to add that, but I’ll add it to my list.

How do you feel about an option to select kanji from multiple levels for review?

Do you want to pick cards individually, or select multiple levels and study all the kanji from those levels?

This looks really useful! I’ll have to download it today.

1 Like

This is nice. BUT I’m just swiping through and it says I have a bunch “incorrect”? I didn’t see where it was even testing me? Is there something I am missing?

You can tap the card to see the answer, swipe left to mark it wrong, swipe right to mark it correct. Sorry that didn’t come across. Do you think a tutorial would help here?

This looks really slick! I’d like to throw my vote behind leech training/critical threshold as well. I’ve started putting my worst leeches in an Anki deck so I can review them more often but it’s a pain to maintain.

For people like myself who’ve never used Tinder and don’t have muscle memory for that kind of thing, it would be good to have it mentioned somewhere.

3 Likes

This is a really nice app. Agree that a tutorial would be helpful although you might also have the option of a visual aid. I just swiped a bunch wrong on my first go even though I’d read the above conversation!:joy:

Also I loved the playlist idea. Maybe you could add some Japanese music ones? I’m sure there’d be people here who could help with that?

I think I’ll probably continue to use this more regularly that some of the other options simply because it can be used when you have a few spare minutes. Looking forward to the planned changes.

1 Like

Thank you! I’m sure I’m not the only one who wonders if I actually remember everything I’ve burned.

Ideally, I’ll be studying all the kanji. I think it’s a bit too tedious to pick them one by one. However, I’d like an option to review the kanji from more than one level at a time.

Same. I’ve never used Tinder before and was surprised that things were actually marked right and wrong when all I was doing was to see if there were different ways to swipe the cards. I was thinking, “Oh, you can swipe left and right but not up. Weird.” Lol.

Again, thank you for making this. I can see myself using it a lot and am excited to see how you’ll continue to develop it!

1 Like

I do. That really isn’t explained anywhere. So, does that mean some of the answers are wrong and you have to say left for wrong and right for right?

Thanks for making this app. Giving it a go and liking it so far!!!

1 Like

Everything that’s shown on the card is correct. Swipe left if you didn’t remember the answer to the card. This system helps you narrow down the cards that you don’t remember (or got wrong), so you can focus on studying those the next round.

1 Like