(Back up) Floflo.moe - A WK-friendly website for reading

The only breakage will be emotional FROM YOU

Yep, definitely needs to get fixed soon.

1 Like

@Raionus looks like vol 1 has been finished (yay). I was gonna make that post about floflo tomorrow, but is there anything you want me to mention in specific? I dont expect it to get too much attention, but im sure it’ll be the first opinion a lot of people have heard on it since its not like you can google floflo and find other people reviews on it.

2 Likes

Nah you got 100% free reign on this. I’m interested in seeing an organic thread develop since it’ll help me get some new perspectives/insights on the website.

4 Likes

@Naphthalene
Could you provide a synopsis for your suggestion?

I’m not feeling ready to decrypt this block of kanji.

Also Kitsunekko is down so I can’t put up the anime poll on patreon. Hopefully it didn’t die permanently or I’m gonna have to start ripping from netflix

@Leilaure
Majo no Takkyubin is already on the website (unless that’s like a different version of the book or something)

1 Like

made: My thoughts on floflo.moe

It may read half like a paid promotion, but as ive said, im pretty passionate about this method of learning :3. If it gets at least 1 person interested, I’d say its worth. (Also it helped me procrastinate my history assignment).

5 Likes

I think the book on the website is the very simple children book the movie was based on? This is a full novelisation of the movie, definitely harder than children books…

First of all, careful, you’re link is the manga version, not the novel (didn’t even know there was a manga actually).

And sure, I’ll do that when I have a keyboard.

1 Like

Sweet dude.

PS check your bank account

3 Likes

@Raionus I got a gift card for my birthday and I just got the idea of using it to buy a bunch of the oreshura books.

On a scale of 1 to yes, how mendo would it be if I just went ahead and got all those in ebook format so you can add them when you get the chance? You mentioned preferring doing large batches but I don’t wanna just assume youre ok with adding a buncha oreshura books in the first place ;w;

This is gonna get me so much eroge…

EDIT: Welp, gift card doesnt work for overseas stuff. heck

3 Likes

I’ve seen the movie and read the original version of 魔女の宅急便 that the movie is based on. Considering how much was dumbed down in the movie, I’d put money on the novelization of the movie being easier than the original book.

1 Like

While I see where you’re coming from, I don’t think there should be a significant difference in difficulty between the two books. It costs money to put up books and I think that having two versions of Kiki’s Delivery service doesn’t add much utility for many of the people using the website. In addition, the Majo no Takkyubin on my website is already supported by an entire book club thread on Wanikani, so I think that the version currently up is preferable to the novelization of the movie based on the book.

2 Likes

Absolutely! That makes complete sense :slight_smile: I’ll have to check if maybe it’s the same book edited with a Ghibli cover :slight_smile: That would be awesome!

@seanblue You may be right, I admit I have no idea about either book. For some reason I thought the original book was really short, but I may be completely mistaken. I bought the Ghibli books on a whim when I could barely read hiragana, and I haven’t really tried to get into them yet… I’ll check to see if the word list seems coherent with my version.

EDIT: checked the first chapter on EbookJP, definitely not the same book! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Is anybody interested in getting 狼と香辛料 added to Floflo? Apparently it’s also 50% off right now.

On one hand, it would be nice to learn a bunch of economics terms. But on the other hand, I’m concerned that it could have too much old-sounding dialogue, which would be a pain.

1 Like

Beginner bookclub style!

紅霞後宮物語こうかこうきゅうものがたり

Summary

女性ながら最強の軍人として名を馳せていた小玉。だが、何の因果か、30歳を過ぎても独身だった彼女が皇后に選ばれ、女の嫉妬と欲望渦巻く後宮「紅霞宮」に入ることになり――!? 第二回ラノベ文芸賞金賞受賞作。

My dumb translation (honestly, google translate would probably do a better job): Shougyoku, even though she is a woman, is known for being the strongest warrior. However, for some reason, this woman who was still single in her thirties got chosen to become empress, and got enter the “Palace of crimson mist” where women’s jealousy and hope swirls !? Received the second ラノベ文芸賞金賞 prize.

後宮 is the residence of the wife/wives of an emperor; I couldn’t work it in the translation.
Rereading that makes me cringe, anyway, so whatever. You are more than welcome to do a better job.
Edit: I checked, and I am better than Google translate. So there’s that at least.

Availability

Here’s the actual book: https://www.amazon.co.jp/紅霞後宮物語-富士見L文庫-雪村花菜-ebook/dp/B00XIZN34O/

Personal Opinion

I am sad face that for the second time @Raionus does not try to read the title of one of my book suggestions :cry:
Also, we need more 女性 stuff, and I’ve been recommended this series. I otherwise know nothing about it. (I’ve also been told that the first volume has very little romance, and a lot of fighting for power, so it’s hopefully a fun read for everyone)

2 Likes

On a book’s page, is there any way to sort by frequency instead of order of appearance in the book? This is mostly for curiosity and not to actually use for studying.

2 Likes

Obviouly @Raionus can give a more up complete answer, but as far as I know, it’s not possible. You have to use Tama’s approach, and just set the frequency high, and go down from there. (You would have to add/trash/ignore all the stuff at a given frequency before going one down, obviously)

1 Like

Right, I don’t want to use it to actually study per se. I was just curious what the most common words were. Maybe I’ll do that for a bit since I’ll probably be able to trash most of the words.

2 Likes

@Raionus I can’t switch from One to All for guesses (on my phone at least). When I select All it doesn’t reload the list and it’s definitely not showing me all definitions. Reloading the page also changes the display back to One.

Switching guess modes doesn’t reload the list it just hides/shows certain content. Also mobile only shows one reading to reduce the mess.

Would you mind checking on your PC when you get the chance? Here’s how it looks for me.
Off

On

Mobile (see how the additional definitions have a (発音) in front of the newly appeared defs