(Back up) Floflo.moe - A WK-friendly website for reading

I was more concerned about the meaning anyway, but I don’t even see that. Perhaps it’s because that meaning has no kanji associated with it. It was かしら, a frequent word in 時をかける少女. I remember seeing the meaning “I wonder” on my computer the other day.

I vaguely remember that that meaning was in the list indeed. (I went a bit through the list a few days ago when we started talking about the book)

1 Like

I’m down for Spice and Wolf, definitely. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I was kind of bored and too sick to do anything actually useful or fun earlier, so I typed all the text from the first volume of the やがて君になる manga into a text file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/16-MJKgrOyVSXg5xYoS18iTu4lIjJzM43/view?usp=sharing

@Raionus I figured I’d post it here in case you wanted to put up a vocab list for it on floflo(since there currently aren’t any manga).

2 Likes

This looks super duper interesting but wayyyy above my level. I tried a short story and there was 100 kanji I don’t know. :sob:
At what point do you guys think it would be ok to start learning floflo?

Since Floflo teaches most of the necessary vocabulary and kanji I usually just recommend people come in with a good knowledge of grammar. You should try after you’ve gotten to (or finished) JLPT N3 grammar. So like after Genki I + II or after finishing Tae Kim’s grammar guide, etc.

Thanks for sharing! I just finished the first episode of the manga so that’s an interesting coincidence.

@seanblue
I may add ordering by frequency as a patreon benefit (it’d be an alchemizer thing). I generally don’t like ordering by frequency but since the whole point of being a patron is to give you more data control that seems like a useful feature to put there.

There’s no frequency column to put the frequency into for added words, but it might be possible to put them in the meaning/reading notes column. A lot of people don’t use those columns anyway. I’ll experiment with it some.

This is a bug I’ve been struggling with for a while. I’ll try to fix it when I get a big block of time but it’s lower priority since it doesn’t break anything.

3 Likes

I’m guessing you’ve probably already noticed, but it seems to be back up again.

By the way, @Raionus I could do something similar to what I did for the first volume of やがて君になる(type the text into a .txt file) with some other manga I own. It’d obviously take a while between each one and it wouldn’t always exactly be the most popular manga, but it doesn’t seem like you have any other ways of getting manga onto floflo and I do occasionally have time where I don’t really have much else to do. What do you think?

(Does mentioning someone after editing your post actually notify them? Guess I’ll find out if @Raionus sees this and is willing to answer. Does it? )

4 Likes

I finally know what being a religious maniac on a city corner feels like. I keep walking up to people in the forums who are talking about completely different things and being like,

Can you spare a few minutes to hear about Floflo? When I was a young lad, I was wayward in the ways of vocab and reading, but lo one day I met a preacher of Floflo, Raionus. He was not Floflo but gave rise to Floflo, and all things that were Floflo were him and things that were not Floflo were not. And behold, out sprung from his unclasped hands that most holy of objects, Floflo. For whence they had been meanwhile nashing and grinding their teeth upon untranslated works, now freed from their restraints, their eyes were opened and meaning was imparted and their SRS pattern was saved.

And then suddenly, I catch myself and think, wait…maybe they don’t want to hear about Floflo…maybe they are talking about something completely different…maybe…maybe they are not ready to hear about Floflo…maybe…maybe, just maybe…I CAN BE THE ONE TO BRING THEM TO FLOFLO!!! (all reasonable thought ceases…)(fin)

11 Likes

12 Likes

I feel exactly the same way.
Just for fun, I searched the forum for @Naphthalene floflo and uh, here’s an excerpt:

Praise be.

Edit: I see I even posted in “what are the best supplementary ressources for WaniKani?” :rofl:

8 Likes

What would you do if you could only use one of WaniKani, Floflo, or Kitsun? :open_mouth:

2 Likes

This is one of those koan things, right?

3 Likes

goes to look up koan

Uhh, sure.

3 Likes

A koan is basically a purposely unsolvable question (at least in this context anyway)

3 Likes

But the process of trying to solve it is supposed to make you reach enlightenment.

2 Likes

Update 10/10 Anime Update

Anime Changes

• Redid/reuploaded all available anime lists (except Precure, which I forgot)
    • Animes now show what episodes they cover (example: Aikatsu [1-12])
    • Previously incomplete series now have all episodes (ex: Megalo Box, Noragami)

Reparsed Anime Lists to match Little Witch

• Stuff indicating speakers and/or sound effects removed
    • Ex: (知らない人) やめてください。 Is now parsed as やめてください。
    • Should reduce word counts and make the vocab list match up better with what you actually hear while watching

New anime additions:

• Erased/ぼくだけがいない街 [all episodes]

There’s still a lot of problems that come with anime like sub-standard spelling and what not but hopefully this update + the new katakana filter should make anime lists more reliable. Anyway GL my dudes.

7 Likes

How many anime do you add on average? Just curious, since I’ll probably mainly focus on that.

1 Like

Oh, cool. Did not even remember about erased, but it might be time for a rewatch!

1 Like

Forgetting the 2016 anime of the year smh

Two a month at least - the ones that get voted on in Patreon. Then I just add stuff if I feel like it.

I put a lot of emphasis on books because there’s too many words to make a vocab list by hand (like it’s literally impossible). I don’t feel like other mediums have that issue.

2 Likes

That’s more than enough :slight_smile: :heart:

Yeah, don’t mind me. I admit that I don’t read enough, but I’m also a special creature that has no interest in most fiction (in terms of reading). I can bear anime though xD

4 Likes