Audio button not working with kana-only vocabulary in reviews

You know how you can press the audio button on a normal vocabulary word after you answer with the correct reading, and if you enable a certain setting, it would also play automatically?

(This is the button I am talking about.)

This doesn’t work with kana-only vocabulary words as you never answer with it’s reading. Even if you answer with the meaning, you can never press this button with kana-only vocabulary words.

2 Likes

Yeah, it was temporarily disabled, because for some reason playing the audio for kana entries would simultaneously play the audio for all previously-studied kana entries. I expect they’re working on a fix (though I admit to being a little confused as to why “do the same as the website’s already been doing for years” isn’t the fix).

1 Like

Hey Flappybox! Thanks for bringing this up! We are considering adding this functionality for autoplay, the :mega: button, and the J hotkey, it just hasn’t been started yet.

@Belthazar We didn’t disable this function due to the kana audio overlapping issue, which has since been resolved. It just hasn’t been implemented yet since we are in the infancy of kana vocabulary. :baby: :+1:

-Nick at WK

7 Likes

Might I recommend implementing the behavior of [Userscript] Review Audio Tweak 4 while you’re at it? Specifically, allowing audio to be played after answering a kanji-based vocab meaning question if the reading question has already been answered correctly. Many users like it as an extra way to reinforce the reading and its connection to the meaning.

As you can see by the #4 in the script title, this one has broken many times over the years, so I think making it a first class feature would be valuable.

7 Likes

Definitely agree with @seanblue about how it would be a great idea to implement the Audio Tweak functionality - it doesn’t seem like it should be very hard to implement (albeit from my limited knowledge of the wanikani code) and would be an amazing QOL feature to have!

1 Like

Hey seanblue and @Hubbit200! I will add this as a feature request ticket in our repo so the engineering and content teams will get a look at it! As you probably know, we have a lot of things that we are working on at the moment, so I can’t guarantee if/when we will get to this, but I’ll make sure that it is seen!

-Nick at WK

4 Likes

when audio for kana vocab in reviews will be ready? it’s very important in learning proper pitch accent, I feel like I’m wasting my time doing these reviews without audio.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.