Aria the Masterpiece Home Thread

Aria the Masterpiece Chapter 6: 初めてのお客様

Aria the Masterpiece Volume 1

Start Date: July 28th
Previous Chapter: Chapter 5
Next Chapter: Chapter 7

Vocabulary List

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for content that would be considered a spoiler.
  • When asking for help, please mention the page, panel, and speech bubble. Be sure to mention if you are reading a version other than Aria the Masterpiece.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarassing at first. All of us are here to learn.

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this chapter yet
  • I’m no longer reading the book
  • I’m skipping this book

0 voters

YES! My fav’ character is finally here!

1 Like

Guess I’ll find out tomorrow! It’s always torture for that day or two where everyone is talking about the chapter before I’ve read it.

3 Likes

Oh, I also remember this chapter for having to look up three words in a row (out of five total for the whole book :rofl:)

Is there a way to edit the spreadsheet anonymously while on phone? If not, I’ll just wait until I have access to a computer.
For those wondering, the words are
さばき (捌き) and 変幻自在

Now, is that literally five words you didn’t know? Or five words you felt like you had to look up to not miss something important?

In the original print, this chapter opened a new volume, so I imagine that’s part of the reason for another surge of calendrical exposition.

Not finished reading yet, but just a few observations from the first few pages:

The last panel on 185 amuses me - everywhere else we’ve been straining to read furigana like ゴンドラ squished into the space of 舟, now here we have the furigana ここ spaced across the entirety of ネオ・ヴェネツィア.

Would 14月 be read as じゅうしがつ or じゅうよんがつ?

I so thought the arrow in the second panel of 193 was highlighting something that was going on in the panel, but it’s just painted on the wall…

First panel on page 192 - Jisho has “as … as” as a definition for くらい, but neither the Dictionary of Japanese Grammar nor anything I can google explains how this works. From the context, I’m reading it as “an undine as famous as Alicia-san” but I can’t tell if I’m just inserting my own expectations here.

I’m working on it as we speak. =)

1 Like

Depends on what you mean. The same sentence has 操船術 for instance, which I had never seen before, but I have no problem understanding it. Does it count as “known” (as in “in passive vocabulary”)? If so, then technically only five words not known in total. But I may have missed things, like the 腰が据わらない thing.

1 Like

That’s it, yes :slight_smile: The literal translation is technically closer to “a famous undine the like of Alicia-san” but I think your translation sounds more natural :stuck_out_tongue:

Also, it’s suddenly crazy hard to follow page numbers, since they’ve been reset on my side :rofl:

2 Likes

Hah. Another fun use for furigana. Whereas previously ウンディーネ has always subtitled 水先案内人 (water guide), on page 195 it’s being used to subtitle 水の妖精 - a water fairy, the actual meaning of the term. And then there’s 地上 (ちじょう) on page 208 written as した (i.e. 下).

Page 202, I’m guessing いっちょ is some kind of slang. For 行って?

Page 205, final panel… what? I get the gist, but the words escape me.

Page 209, 訊いて in the fourth panel seems to be a variation on 聞いて, but what does it mean exactly?

Write a script that automatically subtracts whatever offset from any page number posted in this thread? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Hm, I don’t have that on the page that should be 202. Is it the page where he says 浮き島への空中ロープウェイ駅まで頼む ?

Maybe a script to change page number is not enough :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s 聞いて in my edition :sweat_smile: . 訊 means to inquire; you should get it on WK pretty soon, too.

For the “last panel” thing, if you are talking about 超ノロ伝説 it means (super) legendary slow/ you’re a legend at being slow. I agree that the wording is weird. But that’s that kind of things that make me love him.

もみこ :rofl:

3 Likes

I’m still here! It has been a busy week but I lurked from the shadows. I’ll definitely jump on this new chapter tomorrow… but now? time to sleep :smiley:

1 Like

Yeah, except in mine he says 浮き島への空中ロープウェイ駅までいっちょ頼む

Aye, I’m starting to notice a few places where the things you mention sound different. Like your mention above of 舵さばき - in my edition, if I’m looking at the same place, it’s オール捌き.

Yeah, I got that. My question is, why does ノロ mean “slow”?

Yeah, I guess they generally tried to improve the reading comprehension. オール is probably easier to understand that 舵, 訊く is more explicit than 聞く and so on…
いっちょ is apparently 大阪弁 and means “just/one thing/once” depending on context.

Because 鈍い (のろい not にぶい) means slow.

1 Like

Oh, yes. Because “slow” probably exists as an adjective in Japanese just as it does in English. Somehow that completely failed to occur to me.

1 Like

I 100% wondered about this as well :grin:

Also, I’m sorry, but am I the only one who finds Alicia’s hand in the top-left panel of page 190 absolutely horrifying? :joy:

4 Likes

Hah, I didn’t even notice that. I was focusing on the words.

Amano-sensei still working out some of the kinks in her art style, I reckon. Some of the faces come off a bit weird - she’s tried to draw them as looking elegant or composed, and they just kinda come across… a bit off. Like page 194, panel 2.

1 Like

I enjoyed the little episode of hero-worshipping reverie on pp194-195. :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Ooh, ooh, this came up before! Nath has already explained, but there was a conversation about this structure in Chapter 4 starting here, just in case the connection / repetition is helpful to you or others :blush: I’d forgotten about this structure already so it was useful to have this reinforcement, thanks.

I’m already confused…

Page 189

Bottom panel

さあ 火星で
初めて迎える

地球の2倍長い
夏の始まりです

So, I get that the second box is loosely “it’s the beginning of a summer twice as long as that of earth”. I’m just not really sure how it links to the first box, which appears to be a relative clause modifying the second (?). Is it sort of like the first time she’s been greeted by summer?

1 Like

In this sentence I would translate 迎える as “to approach” → So, for the first time on Mars I’m approaching the start of a summer twice as long as that of Earth"

2 Likes

Oooooh, I did not know that nuance and it was already in the sheet so I didn’t look the word up myself. That makes so much more sense. Thank you! I was so confused because I felt like I ought to understand the grammar but the sentence didn’t seem to make any sense :joy: ah, vocabulary…

Edit: I just ripped a page slightly in my excitement D: D: D: D:

3 Likes