Are you getting faster or slower as you progress?

I got better at learning new material, but lapsing old material and leeches are absolutely crushing to me, so slower, MUCH slower. At this point I’m not motivated to go any faster, though. It might take me 1.5 years to get through the 50s, where as it took me 1 year to reach level 27.

Faster.

Reasons:

1. Solid routine
  2. Understanding of leveling mechanic, thus efficiency
3 Likes

I guess, doing a few 4 days levels in a row just killed me. The number of reviews almost doubled after one month, so I worked on getting this apprentice number as lower as possible before starting the new ones, which is now low enough o/ 4 levels to go!

3 Likes

I wonder how Leebo manages to spend only 8 days on average on each level, reaching even less than 7 days on the latest levels. Even during my unemployed period my fastest levels were more than 9 days. Nowadays my average is 12 days.

I tried the reordering script once, but I realized that it basically left a lot of vocab behind, and it felt like I was cheating, so I stopped using it.

Faster. To mirror what Derricks said, you can clearly see about when I got a good routine figured out while I also got better at learning how to learn and started to understand the leveling mechanic.

1 Like

@Leebo has actually explained it many times. He’s found a way that works for him. Any of us could do it, if time allowed but it seems most people only do reviews 1-2 times a day. Doing what Leebo does requires much more attention to review times and he also has high accuracy. It’s definitely possible, you just have to be willing to put in the time and effort.

Edit : using the reordering script isn’t cheating. You just have to make sure to actually DO those vocab reviews and not leave them behind.

I only use reorder to make sure that I get the radicals and kanji that are needed for leveling up done on time.

If I have to get up at 4AM to do those radicals to keep them on the minimum time, it’s ridiculous to wade through 80 burn reviews to do it. Then I do the burn reviews when I have time later in the morning.

And yeah, I do reviews every chance I get during the day, and I never let lessons sit around or anything, but you only have to be super strict with those few radicals and kanji that are level-up dependent.

I’m at a point where I’ll give myself 2 days to get all new lessons done. Usually I have to do 100 lessons in the last 2 hours of those 48 hours lol.

Oh well, 2 months left and I won’t have to worry about writing a new essay every week.

there’s my progress.

Ouch - several 4 day levels!! I had one 7 day level recently where I knuckled down and went through my lessons much faster than usual, and you know that period is going to be busier… but its the little tsunami that hits you a week or so later that really stings! Put me off doing it again, I’ll be returning to my ‘normal’ speed of 12-ish days per level.

1 Like

I’m excited for the sub-4-day levels, because I’ll be able to start them about a month before I take N1. Cram cram cram.

Hang on, I thought even a perfect run was more than 4?

Aren’t the intervals 4 hours, 8 hours, 1 day, 3 days? (give or take an hour) Which would be a perfect run of 4.5 days. I’m guessing that is only possible when there are so few radicals left that you don’t actually need to unlock their kanji in order to still get 90%

The later levels sometimes have no new radicals.

4 hours, 8 hours, 23 hours, 47 hours = 3 days 10 hours

From level 46 and beyond that’s the minimum level up time.

I’ve been living a lie :expressionless:

Those little one hour things effed with me a bit when I really started trying to do the minimum seriously. Because everyone says 1 day and 2 days, in my head I was ready to do those reviews the same time 1 or 2 days later, but it’s one hour earlier.

Being able to compare with others was by the way the main motivation for us to create the “Japanization Classroom” where you can compare your progress and speed against others. We have a Google Docs Spreadsheet for that there. Feel free to join us by posting in this thread.

2 Likes

I have to stop myself at work from answering in Japanese to our customers from Mexico… My brain isn’t hard wired for Spanish the way I’ve been working on Japanese.

I’m just getting started, but I’d say I’ve been pretty consistent so far (Level 1 doesn’t really counts since I didn’t start to take WK seriously for a couple of weeks after I signed up).
Life got in the way for level 11, but level 12 does feel a bit faster, I just unlocked new Kanji, which usually happened during the fourth day on previous levels…

1 Like

I didn’t have time to read everybody’s, but it looks like I’m in line with the crowd on this one. Definitely going faster, especially after I changed my system and setting hard goals for myself around level 23:

(Wow, adding pictures is so much easier with the new discussion forums!)

2 Likes

Going a bit slower the last few levels, but based on everyone else’s posts looks like I’ll eventually pick up speed again.

1 Like