Are there any superlative sibling terms?

So in the context of multiple siblings of the same gender and same age relation are there any further terms to differentiate? Like is there a term for eldest sister for example?

4 Likes

長女(ちょうじょ) and 長男(ちょうなん) come to mind.

There is also 一女(いちじょ) apparently, but I’ve never heard the word used (which doesn’t mean much).

My dictionary also lists 総領(そうりょう) and 嫡孫(ちゃくそん) but they are apparently less common.

Edit: I think (すえ)っ子 is the most common term for the youngest child.

12 Likes

There’s also 次女(じじょ) (and one assumes an 男 version), which may be useful.

Examples

12 Likes

Yup, 次男(じなん) is “second son”!

Looking for compounds using 姉 in Shirabe Jisho, I came across 長姉(ちょうし) meaning “eldest sister” (with 長兄(ちょうけい) being “eldest brother”), though I don’t know how common those words are. They’re not marked as common, but they’re also not marked as being antiquated or anything, so you’ll probably come across them sometimes.

2 Likes

6 Likes

I assume you have like a whole trove of manga pages screenshotted, so you can throw fun word information at people at a moment’s notice :joy:

4 Likes
I (長男)

suppose (次男)

you (三男)

could (長女)

say (次女)

that... (三女)

12 Likes

He just uses technology, he’s cheating. :unamused:

4 Likes

Also would there be anything for like addressing someone. Like an お姉ちゃん equivalent or would that not be be specified in that context?

Im being a weeb in filling out my phone contacts. And im trying to avoid just changing the names to katakana.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.