April 25th Daily Reading ブラックジャックによろしく: Community Reading Exercise

Just a small thing: 回す (to turn something) would make 回して, but here it is 回って, so it is 回る (to turn oneself)

1 Like

I’m trying F (waving to Ziz and YanagiPablo)

僕達は 一科に2-3ヵ月 かけて 色々な科で研修を 行う

With hirigana (I just learned ruby code!):

僕達ぼくたち一科いちかに2-3ヵ月かげつ かけて 色々いろいろ研修けんしゅうおこな

Hello ToastedRice and Myria! I enjoyed reading your analyses and comments!

F Analysis

僕達は 一科に2~3ヵ月 かけて 色々な科で研修を 行う

Analysis
  • 僕達(ぼくたち)は “We”. But, as a woman, my “hackles are up” that instantly, a generic explanation about interns uses the masculine form of “we”. Hmmph! Foot stomp
  • 一科(いちから)に I’m guessing based on the “super-rotation” discussion that this is in “one department” (not necessarily the first)
  • 2~3ヵ月(かげつ) kagetsu is when you spend a period of months, so 2 to 3 months
  • かけて “over” (like during?)
    色々(いろいろ)な科(か)で; 色々is “all sorts of” or “various”, the な is Adjective form; of departments 科; で marks where the months were spent;
  • 研修(けんしゅう)を 行(おこな)うto provide training; 研修 is training; this is a surprising reading of 行to me!! I realize that I am missing you this verb form (dictionary plain form?)

F Interpretation (I just learned spoiler code!)

We spend 2 to 3 months in each department, getting training in various departments

Thank you, Myria, for showing me the collapsing section triangles aka “details”, BECAUSE I DETEST SCROLLING! that is all “ahem”

Hey Shannon! Welcome, welcome! I was anxious to see if you would show up and you did. So glad to see you here.

What do you mean? I’ll try to help you out, can you clarify?

Did you use a script too for the furigana to appear? How did you manage?

1 Like

Just so you know at the right of your screen, there’s a bar.
You can drag this to the bottom to get to the most recent reply.

Alternatively, you can click on time marker to get to the latest reply:

As far as I know, there’s no way for messages appear with the most recent first. I’ll look into it and will let you know if I find a solution.

By the way, keyboard shortcuts work here so you can use ctrl+b for bold or ctrl+i for italic. I haven’t found if it’s possible to add color to the text which I miss. I’ve asked but no one answer as of yet. If you use:

<ins>something</ins>

To put emphasis on something. For example, 僕達 will appear underlined with a green background. Since there’s green, I assume you can display other colors but I have tried different piece of code with no success.

[color=blue]Hi Shannon![/color] doesn’t work as you can see.
<style=“color:red”> and <font color="red"> don’t work either.

I remember reading that Markdown doesn’t support color or fonts but we could add color at the Duo Lingo Forums, I don’t know why it doesn’t work here since the other codes work.

Being a private detective of sorts, I investigated and googled what you were saying about ruby code and I too can now display furigana without even a script!:

漢字かんじ

For those who are interested:

<ruby>漢字<rt>かんじ</rt></ruby> 

Will display the furigana of your choice, pretty handy!

1 Like

Alright G is a bit of a long one. Let’s see what we have here.

Before I go ahead, let’s see what Shannon came up with in her reply:

We spend 2 to 3 months in each department getting training in various department.

≪そして2年間ねんかん『の』うち『に』≫
そして:conj. and then
2年間: A period of two years (the super rotate method if I understand correctly)

I’m familiar with うち meaning home but here I don’t see where it fits in, let’s check if うち has other meanings which would be more apropos.

Ah ha! It can also mean within, it all works now. He’s saying:
Within a period of two years…

Let’s do the second part now, the longer part.

≪それぞれが自分の進むすすむべき科をきめていく事になる≫

それぞれ: adv. noun each, respectively;
Note: If it’s an adverb, how can it be a noun?
『が』subject marker;
自分じぶん: reflexive pronoun;
『の』possessive;
科【しな、カ】department, course, faculty;
When I type か for 科, nothing comes up. I have to type しな. In my dictionary, it lists the kun-yomi (しな) as meaning: article, thing, goods; but here it’s clearly the on-yomi which we need to talk about department, course, section. How come I don’t get anything when I type in か?I assumed it was the on-yomi was to be used as a constituent of a word.

Anyhow, here’s what I understand:
He’s saying that within two years he’ll have decided on a department (presumably to work in).

P.S.: there’s still G left but I’m too tired now.

I hand type <> brackets (ruby) (rt) (/rt) (/ruby) to get furigana. The ruby goes around the phrase and rt (“ruby top” in my mind, LOL) around the tiny upper ones. Oh! We posted at the same time! (I’m searching for the collapsing triangle example–I love it!)

The collapsing triangle is right where the “spoiler” tag is:

It’s the “hide details” button (if that’s what you meant)

Summary

It looks like this

There is also this script for easier furigana input:

1 Like

Thank you, Myria! I don’t see any of that cool stuff on my Android phone–WAIT! I FOUND IT!! どうもありがとうございます. I simply don’t understand how to install a script on my phone…But…brute Force works, too! Sigh

BTW, Étienne, I agree on getting that stupid 科 to show up by typing “ka”…I put in textbook (きょうかしょ) and deleted around it for my post!! Crazy!! Thanks for putting another pronunciation for that kanji.

As far as I know, scripts can only be used on a computer, I don’t think it can be used with an iPhone. You’d need an app for that.

That “hide detail” thing will be useful. I’ll add it in the rules. We can have collapsing text for each step: transcription, vocabulary and interpretation.

Edit: It might be possible but you need to pay for the TemperMonkey app on Safari from

The suffix べき makes a nuance of obligation:
進むべき => must follow, should follow.

So 自分の進むべき科, the department that I must follow myself is the object (を) of the taking of a decision (which taking will occur (…に+なる) in the two year interval.

I don’t understand the grammar of それぞれが however…
それぞれ is “each”; if が is the subject tag, that doesn’t make sense with 進む nor 決める… subject of なる maybe ?
In such case, does that “each” refer to 僕達 of previous (F) frame ? “Whithin two years, each of us will be taking a decision on…

A comment from someone more knowledgeable will be highly appreciated. どうぞお願いします

うち is actually “inside” (内), and the by extension “inside group”, “our (…)”.
Yes, “our house” is very common; but here it’s more probably “our university”.

… it turned out here it was actually 内 after all…

Note: If it’s an adverb, how can it be a noun?

My dictionary shows, for それそれ : (n-adv, adj-no),
as it uses MJDict database I looked at its abbreviations:

• n-adv “adverbial noun (fukushitekimeishi)”
  • adj-no “nouns which may take the genitive case particlee `no’”

When looking for 副詞的名詞 it just says “adverbial noun” (which is what is written, but doesn’t help much to understand how exactly they work).

So I looked at imabi, and found here

Most adverbs come from nouns. (…) Temporal words and counters are great examples of things that can be nouns or adverbs.

In English, I think ‘within 2 years’ is more colloquial than ‘inside 2 years’.

Indeed “within” ecompasses better the meaning (“within” is “inside a group/range” I think).

Keep in mind my English explanations aren’t always the most accurate; I’m not very fluent at it first, and also my focus on this reading excercises is Japanese, not English.

The reason I’m saying this is because うち can have the meaning of “inside” or “within”:

うち 【内, 中】
noun, `no’ adjective
ⓐ inside, within

Since “inside” doesn’t convey the same connotation as “within”, I wanted to make sure we were on the same page regarding the meaning of the word in that specific language. Since we’re trying to learn the right word in context with this exercise, I wanted to make sure I understood correctly that in that sentence, うち meant “within” rather than “inside”.

1 Like

I really don’t mean this rudely, but also don’t know how to write it such that it doesn’t come across as rude… who are you guys? :sweat_smile: it’s just that it’s obvious you all know each other from elsewhere, and have all only just joined the WK forum, specifically to do this community exercise. So I’m confused and intrigued by why you’re here (rather than wherever it is you know each other from, I guess)?

3 Likes

I can answer that. We met on the Duo Lingo forums. I wanted to read authentic text so I started up a reading thread about the manga “Monster”. Since it was copyrighted, I switched to this Manga. It was more fun to do it with other people so I encouraged other people to join in and YanagiPablo and Shannon joined in.

Duolingo’s forum is outdated by today’s standards and the community is very, very young. This resulted in most threads being about anime suggestions and generally speaking not about the language. What was more troublesome was that everything can be upvoted/downvoted at the DL forums and at -5, your thread disappears and language related threads would sometimes disappear or come close to it.

I therefore decided to migrate here as it seemed a more thriving community with a more modern forum interface. I missed both YanagiPablo and Shannon and asked them to come over here.

Long story short, just Japanese language enthusiasts who wish to share their passion with other enthusiasts.

1 Like

Indeed, Zizka invited us here.
Giving personal information is explicitely forbiden on Duolingo forums (probably to protect the young audiance);

As for myself, I’m still struggling to understand the various sections of these forums (and to write; I have problems to type directly in Japanese, it seems my input method doesn’t see the javascript window; I just type it elsewhere and copy and paste).

I did a small presentation of myself; as I don’t yet know how to link to a forum post I can’t show it, but you can search for 柳ぱぶ郎と申します
I didn’t put much info, but I didn’t find either an “introduction guidelines” post.

Ahhhh, I see. Thank you for explaining :blush: and sorry for derailing your thread.

There isn’t one, don’t worry - whatever you want to put or don’t want to put is fine. In general this is a very relaxed community with a healthy amount of silliness, so you don’t need to worry too much about doing anything ‘wrong’ :sweat_smile:

I’m curious about your issues typing in Japanese - I’m on Windows and just switch to the Microsoft IME and it works fine. If you search around there are quite a number of threads troubleshooting people’s keyboard issues, so maybe have a look around and post if you can’t find any that look relevant.

2 Likes

I’m sometimes completly lost noticing which reply is to which frame of the manga…

So here is an index…

Index:

I’ll also do H

Transcription:

間もなく春日部教授がいらっしゃる

今日は教授みずから執刀されるとの事だ

Vocabulary (only new) and interpretation:

• 間もなく : lit. it is the adverbial form of “there is no time”; it is also an expression meaning “soon, in no time”
  • 春日部 (かすかべ) : that’s the name of the “God’s hand” professor
  • 教授【キョウ・ジュ】: professor
  • いらっしゃる : honorifi verb equivalent of 1. 行く, 2. 来る, 3. いる

間もなく春日部教授がいらっしゃる
=> “Professor Kasukabe will come very soon

• みずから (自ら) : oneself, in person.
  • 執刀【シッ・トウ】: performing a surgical operation (note the anji 刀, katana, blade); made a verb with する, here in passive される (I think that passive is for politness/deference)
  • (smth)との事 : I heard that (smth), indicates hearsy of something.

今日は教授みずから執刀されるとの事だ
=> “Today, I have been told that the surgical operation will be done by the Professor in person.