API Version 2 changes in regards to SRS stages

The way reviews come around one clock hour earlier is very helpful to me as someone who has a ton of trouble getting to sleep on time as is - a midnight review is an 11pm review the next time and that’s super helpful. It really is a killer feature whether you intended for it to be or not.

The offset also helps to mitigate against single-hour review pileups - I try to do lessons at 8:00-9:00AM, 1:00PM-2:00PM or 6:00-7:00PM and it would be super annoying to have to change my lesson/review habits specifically to avoid putting too many reviews into a particular timeslot.

21 Likes

Many people already said but I will add too that the extra hour was really helpful when I could not keep the schedule and it also slowly moves the reviews into a timeslot which makes reviewing easier in the long run so I would also prefer if we keep it, at least on some of the stages.

10 Likes

More Why is WaniKani so slow threads?

4 Likes

I agree, cutting away 1 hour skew is just completely senseless, considering online classes should be a little flexible as people live their lives, have their own things to do and cannot adapt 100% to online classes. This would definitely put even more pressure to schedule, considering you have different number of reviews and lessons every day and would cause more harm than good

9 Likes

Well… now the cake is a lie.

1 Like

Less “I completed WaniKani in less than 365 days!!!” threads

5 Likes

I like the -1 hour timings. It feels like a “grace hour”, so I can do my reviews an hour later at night on a day and be certain they’ll appear an hour earlier the day after, so that I don’t need to stay up late again. (I’m doing WK on a regular schedule and level-up every 8 days).

If you’re going to support multiple SRS systems in the future, can you delay the rollout of the new timings? You could have WK legacy (-1 hour) timings as an option for people who’re already used to it and the new timings for new users.

17 Likes

That pretty much was my schedule as well, just with different days and hours, and the -1 hour was a godsend. Without that I’d have not been able to keep my perfect 7 day level-up interval.
Now to be fair, this kind of level-up schedule is pretty unrealistic for the vast majority of users, but considering how useful the -1 hour can be and how little impact it has on normal users, it doesn’t make sense to remove it.
As a programmer myself, I do understand the desire for neat numbers, though. :sweat_smile:

14 Likes

Rather than everyone repeating the same thing (and I do like the -1 hour), using the :heart: button on the original comment will help to keep the tread short and readable :smirk:

(not specifically answering to d-hermit, but i cannot undo)

12 Likes

i don’t understand why the one hour thing would be removed, it was so useful in case you messed up the time for reviews to get back to regular schedule. It was so convenient for me as i didn’t always have time to do the reviews when i wanted. Thank god i reached lv 60 before this update, this could have been a big problem

10 Likes

While I can understand your sentiment, 100 posts do have more impact than one post with 100 votes.

20 Likes

I’m going to add my voice to what most people have already said. I don’t do my reviews at set times, but rather “in the morning”, “after lunch” and “before sleep”. Especially the “before sleep” time is highly variable, and sometimes I end up doing my reviews at 2AM but it’s fine because I know I can bring them back to a sleep-compatible schedule in a couple of days. So far I’ve managed to do 7-8-day levels even with my irregular schedule, but I would not stay awake just to do my reviews if I did them late one day and they would always be at 2AM. I actually thought the -1h thing was a feature and I love it!

11 Likes

Second this. I usually do my lessons at 8am after I level up each week, which means subsequent 8-7-6pm reviews before I level up next time. This gives me some breathing space and allows me to get the next first review after the level up at 10-11pm, which is very nice for someone who is trying to stick to a sleep schedule - with the change I’d need to wait until midnight to start reviewing.

4 Likes

I’ll also chime in and ask to please keep the bonus hours.
Especially on Apprentice 3 & 4 I really need them.
I’m doing one level per week with level up Sunday evening.
This means, on Thursday I have to review at 9:00, 13:00, 21:00, Friday 20:00, Sunday 19:00 so that I can do the first review of the next level at 23:00 before going to sleep.

After this change, my level up on Sunday would happen at 21:00, forcing me to stay up until 1:00 to keep my pace.

I could try getting up earlier to do the reviews, but in general, it will make my schedule much tigther with less room for error. So, I would really appreciate if the bonus hour would be kept in order to not make sticking to a fixed schedule every week much harder than it is now.

6 Likes

This was exactly my thought, too!

1 Like

Reading through the thread I almost get the feeling the grace hour affects speed-levelers most. But while some posts do already mention it affects others, I would like to stress that it affects all who like to review on a schedule, regardless of levelup times. The grace hour was vital for me when dealing with the Daylight Savings Time clock change, which saw all my reviews coming in an hour late. (Without it I guess vacation mode for 11 or 23 hours would be needed?)

I’ve worked with 23 and 24 hour intervals before (not necessarily in an SRS context), and found that 23 trumps 24 every single time because of the flexibility it provides. Would be very sad to see it go.

20 Likes

I’m a little surprised. I thought wanikani devs usually gauge peoples’ reactions first and ask them what they think about a particular change before actually implementing it. Or perhaps you didn’t think the 1h change would arouse this many people? I for one like the 1h feature for the same reason that countless others before me have mentioned, it helps keeps the schedule. Also, with the 1h gone that would mean compulsory 16h days in order to level up once a week on the level up day.

Exactly, and this isn’t even max speed wanikani. Just regular fast paced wanikani. It doesn’t just affect people doing spartan wanikani like @shimarin and @girakacheezer, I think it affects everyone.

7 Likes

If this SRS change means that if I do my Apprentice2 item review at 20:01 then I won`t be able to do it at 19:00-20:00 for the rest of its stages then … nooooo :frowning:

10 Likes

For me the one hour shift helps prevent review fatigue. I’m fairly consistent on when I’ve been starting levels and reviews for the day and having the -1 hour naturally shifts the blocks of reviews earlier in the day so they don’t overlap. Being able to rely on that additional hour each day has been extremely important to my workload management. I can see needing to deal with a very large number of reviews with this new system which has personally been both a motivation and a learning killer to me.

13 Likes

Just here to say that i, too, prefered the old SRS intervals.

6 Likes