Any words of wisdom for a recently subbed guy?

At the very least, if you don’t do your reviews on the 4/8/24h etc schedule, do them twice a day.

Or, in simpler terms: do your reviews.

Also, resist the urge to do all your lessons at once. I didn’t figure this out for over 40 levels and man it makes all the difference.

5 Likes

My humble piece of advice would be: don’t overwhelm yourself with countless reviews… test your lessons-per-day throughput a lot instead of going all crazy and finishing all of them as soon as they appear in your queue. Of course if you have the time just go ahead and do it, otherwise (i.e. you have a limited time to invest in your japanese studies) start with something like 15 lessons/day and slowly adjust until you find the perfect fit for you.

Also, keep it going… it’s been very rewarding so far, being able to recognize a lot of kanji in other places that are part of my study routine, hope it will happen with you too!

4 Likes

Just don’t forget to empty it regularly, else the vacuum won’t be as strong

6 Likes

Don’t blow through all your lessons at once.

Don’t abuse the ignore script.

Don’t neglect grammar study. (Or do, if you don’t mind another long haul after kanji to internalize basic grammar.)

6 Likes

My best advice: You don’t have to do all the lessons at once. If you start feeling burned out, don’t do new lessons and just keep up with reviews. It’s not a race. Don’t listen to the stories about people leveling up in a week. Just hang out and enjoy learning at your own speed.

10 Likes

Wait, what? Where are my stickers??!?!!?

All I got was a sense of deepening dread

7 Likes

You should have gotten an email. Check your spam folder

2 Likes

As others here have said: there is no right pace for everyone, the right pace for you is the one you choose. Do not be pressured to follow a pace you cannot match, you will lose the race before you even get warmed up. Think more of it as a JOURNEY and less as a TOURNEY. You have no opponents in the kanji game but yourself. All the best man!

@Weirdmind: be amazed!

6 Likes

WK is a tool not a test.

Use the audio.

10 Likes

You should have recieved an email, if not then just contact them and ask for your stickers and certificate.

2 Likes

Hey, thanks. Right where you said it might be

2 Likes

So many words of wisdom!

I’d like to give you a fair warning from someone that had to reset down because he just couldnt do it no more.
Not me though. It’s, eh, a friend.

I think consistency is the key. There’s really no benefit to doing all your lessons at once (Other than radicals, because they’re a speed bump).
Figure out how fast you wanna go. If you’re doing 20 lessons every day, you get to do atleast 200 Items every day once you start burning things. More depending on how high your %'s on reviews are.
Include into that kaniwani.com and you’ll get another ~140/day.
Missing a single day, as others have pointed out plenty, and having to face more than 400 reviews can be pretty discouraging.

20 Items/Day gets you to ~8days/Level.
(You can put hypothetical speeds into https://www.wkstats.com/#progress to see by when you’d reach certain milestones)
Personally I wouldn’t recommend going any faster than that unless you have alot of time.

If you plan on going at a healthier pace, like 15 lessons per day (~11 Days/Level) or 10 Lessons per day (~16 Days/Level), you don’t need the reorder script. Otherwise I’d definitely get it.

3 Likes

Don’t tag @CyrusS.

2 Likes

This. So much this! Audio combined with pitch accent script is the best combo to learn pronunciation.

1 Like

The best thing is just to keep at it, if you feel overwhelmed just do reviews and get your apprentice items down to a manageable level where you’re happy before adding more lessons. That’s what I’m doing right now…instead of following my urge to complete all my tempting kanji lessons.

3 Likes

This topic has so many replies already, but I’ll share what I have.

Look into some of the scripts–specifically ones that alter the dashboard. They can help know what’s coming up, how you’re doing, how consistent (or inconsistent) you’ve been with your reviews and such. Plus, they add some extra style. As someone else said, I would recommend not using the reorder scripts. They seem to often be abused and then people have massive buildups of lessons. I would also advise against the ignore script as it is easy to casually abuse it. It sucks to get spellings wrong sometimes, but they happen less if you just slow down.

With respect to lessons, I learned that it seems like it would be easy to go full speed and do all of your lessons at the beginning of each level in one big block. Don’t. It’s not worth it and you may end up being unable to do reviews because you don’t know them well enough. You can still get through at ‘almost’ full speed by just splitting up the lessons correctly. If you get through radicals, you have time to do the other lessons while you get your radicals up to guru. I usually do radicals and a couple kanji, then the rest of the kanji and some vocab when everything hits apprentice III. Then the rest of the vocab at apprentice IV so I don’t have to do vocab and new kanji at the same time.

Sorry for the huge block. Everyone else has contributed a ton as well. Good luck, and hope to continue seeing you around! If ever need any help, everyone here is super friendly (as you can already see). :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I agree. Most of the deep learning and memorization takes place when you immerse yourself in the lanuage.

Read*. Even if you can’t understand the grammar, even if you don’t recognize most of the kanji, even if you think there’s no point trying. I remember thinking “this is pointless, what am I even doing this for?” when I started reading NHK Easy news. And now, I can proudly say that I only look at the furigana some of the time, and can tell you (without looking at the main picture) what the main point of the article is.

*This includes the sample sentences that WK teaches with vocab. Yes, even the ridiculously hard ones. I can’t count the number of times I recognize a freshly-learned grammar point in those sentences.

4 Likes

Oh, your Wanikani reviews are hard? But did you die tho?

but-did-you-die-feat-1-620x350

2 Likes

I can’t believe nobody told him to do his reviews, smh

5 Likes