Any tool to learn to write the kanjis using a drawing tablet or mouse?

Hello!

I’ve been thinking if there is a tool that helps you learn to write the kanjis already learned in wanikani, showing you the stroke order and letting you input the kanji with your mouse or some touch device like a drawing tablet. Do you know any?

Thanks!

4 Likes

For Android there is KanjiTree

7 Likes

I use Kanji Study on android.

3 Likes

Kanji Study! The layout and design is super clean. Although it requires a membership for certain features, it has a free dictionary with access to almost any kanji. It shows the stroke order, kanji decomposition and its readings.

1 Like

Like what?

1 Like

Oh, nice! Do they list anywhere what all the kanji they have are?

No clue, but if you’re interested, you could shoot the developer an email or check out their website.

kanjistudyapp+googleplay@gmail.com
http://kanjistudyapp.com/

Hope this helps. Good luck :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks, I appreciate the responses. :blush:

I can vouch for Kanji Study. Really awesome app. Only for Android though. The development of the iOS version was more or less abandoned quite a while ago.

Apparently you have stumbled upon the Kanji Study fan group :stuck_out_tongue:
6000+ kanji it says somewhere.
You can order them by sets to study. Some built in ones are Japanese school grade, JLPT level, Jouyou, Remembering the kanji and Kanji learner’s course. They all have an ‘other’ category that contains the kanji that aren’t included in that set. For example, if you study by JLPT level, the ‘other’ category contains 20 groups of 200 kanji each next to all the N5-N1 kanji. You can make custom sets, I use it to study them by wanikani level. So it’s always the same kanji, but the order you study them in/the way they are presented is by these sets.
I’ve thought about asking to add a wanikani set now that it is public information which kanji belongs to which level (as far as I know).

4 Likes

That’s great, thank you!

Does anyone know of something for iOS for the apple crowd?

I’ve been using an Anki deck called WaniKani Kanji Writing Practice. It is best used on a tablet or phone where you can use the whiteboard feature to draw the kanji and match it up with an outline. So far it is working out well. Just read the directions on the download page to see how to use the deck best.

https://ankiweb.net/shared/info/1741808368

PS: This is not my deck so kudos to the person who made it.

Here is a link to the thread where I found the deck.

https://community.wanikani.com/t/version-105-2016-01-31-anki-deck-for-kanji-writing-practice/11840

4 Likes

This was actually the one that I found the most helpful!

High-tech and pretty though they may be, I found that the apps that automatically transforms your scribbles into perfect strokes didn’t force me to actually write the kanji in a legible fashion. You can disable that feature, but then the algorithm has a very hard time determining if you wrote it correctly or not.

With the Anki deck you actually have to write the character like you normally would, and check yourself that it’s legible and correct.

1 Like

Can I do this using only the mobile devices? I don’t have a computer/laptop any more and the app is $29.99 but indicates it is to be used in conjunction with the computer program. I don’t mind shelling out money for the app, but if I need a computer to upload the deck then obviously that won’t work for me. I’ve never used anki, so was wondering?

I think you can download the deck on to your Anki web account on your phone and then export from your web account to your mobile device. The Anki web account which you can access through the internet is more important to have then the desktop application.

Thank you. I’ll give it a try then.

Ah, no apparently I can’t add a shared deck directly to my Ankiweb account. Their website says you need to add it on the computer

I don’t know why it says that. I tried adding a deck to my AnkiDroid directly through my phone and it worked fine. I just searched for a shared deck, click download and then went to the app and uploaded the data and now I have a basic Hiragana deck.