Another kanji tattoo fail

Yes! I know I’ve seen photos and stuff of tshirts with random English words on them, for example

2 Likes

Poor girl.

1 Like

if i ever propose to someone, i’ll have to remember this line. :joy_cat:

10 Likes

I know I’m getting this one when I go there again :smiley:
2f041595

27 Likes

If you were really hardcore you’d get it tattooed on both arms! Be loud and proud as the dumbass gaijin!

1 Like

LOL her tattoo actually means SMALL CHARCOAL GRILL!? Well, this is hysterical. :joy:

5 Likes

Yeah, she essentially Google Translated a phrase, but didn’t actually check that what she got was actually a valid translation. If you type ‘seven rings’ into GT you get ‘7輪’. And 輪 can mean ‘ring’ but it’s not ‘ring’ as in what you wear on your hand instead it seems to mean ‘ring’ as in a circle or loop. When you put that with 七 you get shichirin (seven wheels) which obviously is what that charcoal grill is called.

Had she been a WaniKani’er and had reached level 15 she would have known that the correct kanji would have been 指輪 (which is the ring you wear on your finger) and that you pair it with the correct counter of 七つ. That, or you know, just talk to your Japanese social media people to check your work before you publicly get made fun of.

9 Likes

Personally, I’d love to have “Small Charcoal grill” tattoo’d to my hand.

Show your love for grilled goods.
10 Likes

She got it on the palm of her hand so “fortunately” it’ll wear off pretty quickly due to the friction. But that’s also a terrible place to get a tattoo that requires such fine and thin lines, because it’ll get blurry first.

5 Likes

See, I gotta disagree with this criticism of her and stuff. The kanji/tattoo makes total sense under different kanji systems, such as man’yougana. And we can all agree that 七輪 looks better than 七つの指輪. Let’s call it an artistic choice.

1 Like

Yeah it was definitely a call-out to an ancient writing system and not the mistake she admitted it to be. :+1:

17 Likes

2 Likes

My Calligraphy teacher has actually done commissions for tattoos - her work is amazing!

Here’s her insta

3 Likes

Nice!

For the record, I don’t want it to sound like I’m insulting her tattoo artist. Presumably he/she was just shown text and then copied it, and they did a really good job of that. It looks very much like the characters in a generic font. So no hate toward whoever they are.
Just dunno why you’d go for a generic font if you knew there were alternatives.

Actually her tattoo looks pretty boring. As I said above, it looks like someone just copied what the kanji looks like using Meiryo. Even the dudebros at least get their 馬鹿外人 or ちんこ tattoos done in a calligraphic style.

1 Like

I don’t get why she’d get that tattooed on the palm of her hand. I feel like the only place you could pick that’d be more painful is on your tongue, or something.

8 Likes

Apparently eyeball tattoos are a thing

I shudder to think about tattooing one’s eyelids. :worried:

1 Like
4 Likes

No, I’m done. Muting this thread now. :see_no_evil:

16 Likes