American ok, british not

Or just synecdoche. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

To be completely honest, thatā€™s less of a ā€œJapanā€ thing and more of a ā€œmost of the world except the UKā€ thing, but I agree itā€™s unfortunate :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

5 Likes

Funnily enough, I feel like Iā€™ve been aware of the difference for quite a while, and it actually feels wrong to say ā€˜Englandā€™ to refer to the whole of Britain, but Iā€™m not sure whyā€¦ maybe itā€™s because I used to read Horrible Histories about various royals and eras in Scotland, England and so on as a kid, so I ended up absorbing the idea that England and Scotland (among other countries within the UK) arenā€™t the same thing pretty early on. The other possibility might just be accents and knowing that there are at least three stereotypical accents (Received Pronunciation, Scottish and Irish) associated with very different geographical areas within the UKā€¦

I donā€™t know, Iā€™m just mildly surprised.

3 Likes

Couple of points from a native speaker of BrE.

First yes, no one would say ā€œa Britishā€ it is a Brit or a Briton (or British person/man/woman). People would know what you meant and not be offended, but it would jar/ be considered a mistake. There are a number of other nationalities to which this applies, you would also not say ā€œa Frenchā€ (in fact I canā€™t think of a single word demonym for a French person.)

It is fine to say ā€œan Americanā€ it is neither wrong nor offensive, there are a handful of other nationalities to which this applies: German, Italian etc.

On the other hand I think ā€œa Chineseā€ and ā€œa Japaneseā€ would carry problematic connotations. It is hard to say the words themselves are racist, but a lot of people would assume someone using the terms was racist. Obviously a non native English speaker would get a pass, but none the less be aware. If in doubt, it is a ā€œChinese personā€, ā€œsomeone Japaneseā€, ā€œguy from Chinaā€ etc! I canā€™t think of any others which I would put this warning on, but maybe there are others which are equally problematic, that donā€™t come to mind.

Edited to add my other point!

On English vs British, I can tell you that this is definitely something that people in Scotland and Wales get annoyed by. Scottish people are not English, or from England and more than Californians are from New York! It is just wrong, but one has to accept that the equation has been absorbed into some languages. Using England to mean UK/Britain was pretty common at certain points in our history especially during the imperial phase, which is presumably why Americans talk about the ā€œqueen of Englandā€ (because George III was frequently described as the ā€œking of Englandā€) and why Japanese has the word 悤悮ćƒŖć‚¹.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve heard Frenchman/Frenchwoman used.

Imagine what Northern Irish learners of Japanese think of the fact that you forgot to mention them.

2 Likes

Britain (even more so if you extend to the U.K.) has a wide variety of accents/dialects/languages beyond the three you mentioned. Not many people speak Received Pronunciation.

Even within Scotland there is a big difference. People in Glasgow can be pretty incomprehensible for those in the rest of Britain. In this comedy clip Rab C Nesbitt is toning down how they speak.

Iā€™ve never had a problem understanding English spoken by Americans, Australians, Canadians or Kiwis but Glaswegians are a different matter!

Those from northern island also problematic. I used to work with a guy from Belfast. I only understood about 25% of what he said and that was only because 25% of what he said was the F word!

6 Likes

The title of this thread:

On a more serious note, the way how language can sometimes be unintuitive ā€“ is a very interesting subject.
For example, ā€œjailā€ and ā€œprisonā€ are very similar concepts, but ā€œjailerā€ and ā€œprisonerā€ are the opposites :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Indeed. Thatā€™s why I said ā€˜stereotypicalā€™ accents. I know that thereā€™s a saying along the lines of ā€˜in the UK, the accents change every five milesā€™ (the fact that ā€˜milesā€™ are now a more common unit of measurement in the US than in the UK notwithstanding). Itā€™s quite amazing how much variety there is!

1 Like

Glaswegians might as well be speaking a different language altogether. Newcastle folks can be absolutely incomprehensible too, in my experience - some are fine but one guy in particular I spoke to seemed to have an entirely different set of vowels than the rest of English has, and spoke a million words a minute too.

1 Like

Because it literally is wrong.

Iā€™m not disagreeing, as I think my post should have made abundantly clear, seeing as I said that I think of England and the other countries within the UK as distinct. However, given that what I was responding to was the idea that the idea that ā€˜England = Britainā€™ seems very common in the world outside the UK, I just wanted to say that I donā€™t think that way even though Iā€™m not from the UK, and that I was surprised that fairly early on in my life (when I was 10 or so?) I had that misconception either cleared up or completely chucked out of the set of possible things I could have learnt in my lifetime, because I found out that England wasnā€™t the only nation in the UK.

My uncertainty as to the reason for what I felt was more a matter of wondering how exactly the correct idea reached me so early given that Iā€™m not from the UK and the misconception is supposedly very common outside the UK. Thatā€™s all. If the misconception really is all that common, then it should have been more easily normalised, and that normalisation should have reached me.

1 Like

You can have hours of fun with the differences between British English and American English. Hooker and fanny come to mind as just two examples. Certainly when I heard the term ā€œfanny packā€ on a US show for the first time I think I spat out my tea.

3 Likes

Dammit! Imagine there is a line in there saying something to the effect of ā€œI have less direct experience of NI, but the situation there is even more complex!ā€

1 Like

Actually road signs in the UK are still in miles, as are speed limits. No idea why. Iā€™m Canadian, and whenever Iā€™ve driven in the US, itā€™s my British partner who is doing all the converting to kilometers for me.

3 Likes

Oh, that seems to explain it then. Thatā€™s very interesting. Thanks!

Because it costs money to change all those signs, is why.

1 Like

What other meaning does ā€œhookerā€ have? Iā€™m English and Iā€™ve never really heard it outside of American media, and only ever to mean prostitute.

or frenchie hehe but thatā€™s very casual.

hey now!
kittens are all picking up the Geordie accent *sigh except for the mini who seems to continue speaking with a somewhat posh british accent for some odd reason.

all this reminded me of this terrible cover letter my bro asked me to help him with: started with ā€œi am a french.ā€ we laugh about it to this day. it sounds so wrong lol. but itā€™s just because he translated literally. poor soul.

3 Likes

Or frog if you want to be less than friendly :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Hey, I played a gig with a band from Newcastle and almost every vowel they uttered was some subtle variation on ā€œooā€. You canā€™t tell me with a straight face thatā€™s normal, intelligible English :joy:

The most understandable guy was the singer, and he was Brazilian. The bus driver was firmly in ā€œjust smile, nod and hope itā€™s not a questionā€ territory :joy:

1 Like