A random request for assistance

Hello everyone! I’ve been a lurker here for quite a while, but haven’t posted before, so apologies if this isn’t the right place for this. The group of people that I work with are putting together a short video as part of an inspection where we introduce ourselves and kind of make fun of us as we’re doing it. For my bit, I’d like to do the segment in Japanese, since that’s how I’ve been spending a lot of my “free” work hours. I’ve been using the excellent jikoshoukai guide over on Tofugu, but am having an issue trying to translate what my hobbies are, and just making sure everything is correct in general. What I would like to say is that I enjoy cosplay and yelling at people to turn in their DITS (the inspection) paperwork. Sadly, also still pretty much a newb at the language. Is there any chance that someone be willing to proofread for me and let me know what’s wrong? I’m afraid I ended up going to Google translate for part of it, and everyone knows it’s not exactly the best for this sort of thing.

みなさん、はじめまして。私は___と申します。Cheyenneの出身です。コスプレを楽しんだり、DITS書類を提出するように人々に叫んだりしています。よろしくお 願いします。

1 Like

Welcome!

Quick question: What are you hoping to replace ___ with?

My name. I just cut it out for internet security sake.

2 Likes

Security?

OK

I know, it’s probably paranoia, but it’s one that’s been beat into me for a long time now.

1 Like

I’ll give it spin but expect mistakes on my part :slight_smile:

みなさん、はじめまして。 :ok_hand:
私は___と言います。(申します is a very formal and humble expression)
Cheyenneの出身です。:ok_hand:
コスプレを楽しんだり、DITS書類を提出するように人々に叫んだりしています。
趣味はコスプレと人にDITSの書類を提出させるように怒鳴ることです。(趣味 seems fitting in this case because it’s not always literally a hobby but also things you like to do. Plus, 提出させる is there because you’re not the one who will be submitting the docs, it’s about other people. There’s possibly a more fitting word for the people you’re yelling at but I don’t know what kind of relationship they have with you.)
よろしくお 願いします。:ok_hand:

2 Likes

Not at all, I think it’s a good idea not to share your name online with a bunch of strangers (I’m sure most would agree) :smiley:

と申します might still be okay for Chibi to use in the introduction, no?

5 Likes

Sure, but I think if the rest of the sentences were more formal, then it would fit better stylistically.

1 Like

I work on a ship, and this is going to our Captain. So, it actually is pretty formal, despite us joking around about it. Not that any of them actually know any Japanese to know the difference, but I figured I’d try to get it right.

Thank you all so much for your help, I really, really appreciate it all.

Edit, because I forgot to add: My relationship with these people is interesting. I’m more or less their day to day manager, but they also call me Mom on a fairly regular basis. We’re close, as most people who work in as close quarters as we do but there’s still some professional distance.

I don’t know enough grammar to be of much use, but wikipedia is great for translating concepts. To cosplay (character) in Japanese is 「character name」のコスプレを行う.

1 Like

Well, video is recorded, thank you all again for your assistance, you’ve been absolutely lovely.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.