A post of venting out

Readings of kanji (the pink ones) just don’t stick to my mind! It’s totally fine with vocabulary, but om’yomi readings of kanji, man! I hate them little pieces of sh*t :slight_smile:

sheesh!

7 Likes

I feel you, man. It’ll get easier, just stick with it.

1 Like

You’ll find that for most of the items, you’ll see additional vocabulary pop up in the future that contains those items, which helps reinforce the readings. The readings differ between on’yomi and kun’yomi readings depending on what WaniKani feel is most useful to teach; based on frequently it’s seen, amount of vocab that use it, etc.

Also, while I’m here, and since it’s your first post…

\textcolor{pink}{\huge \textsf{WELCOME! ^-^}}

welcome gif - crabigator

Take the time to check out the FAQ and GUIDE if you haven’t already.

There’s also a lot of good stuff on the forum to help you, like:

The Ultimate Guide for WK
The Ultimate Additional Japanese Resources List!
The New And Improved List Of API and Third Party Apps

I hope your Japanese learning journey goes well and that you enjoy your time with us on the forums.

4 Likes

hope that made you feel better lol!
it’s not easy… i often remember an onyomi in a vocab and fail the kanji 3 reviews later! it’s ridiculous.

it does not go away but the SRS takes care of your brain like a nanny… keep going!

2 Likes

These single Kanji reviews are hell. Looking at them in isolation I often just don’t remember the meaning :joy:

3 Likes

they’re too big on the screen i think… unless it’s the magenta background colour… but there’s defo something to it…

3 Likes

This ^^ is exactly how I feel - smack in the face with a huge Kanji. Just doesn’t look right and almost always second guess myself :pensive:

3 Likes

lol i actually pictured that in my head!

kanji whacking in times of social distancing…

9 Likes

That’s quite the Kanji whack right there? Am I supposed to have learned this one yet? Doesn’t ring any bells :smiley:

4 Likes

:joy: Where’s Batman, I need something like that to help pound these things into the old brain!

2 Likes

Just looked it up - its coming in L26 apparently!

3 Likes

yeah i was doing the lesson and “hinder” sounded quite good in context!

2 Likes

The radicals help me a lot. When i don’t instantly remember a kanji’s meaning or reading, i just repeat the radicals in my head, and try to remember the mnemonic story. The brain is good at remembering stories, try to make up your own using the radicals!
But yes, it’s easier to remember the meaning and reading with vocab. Often, when i have trouble with a kanji, i look at its vocab and try to remember that as well or build it into the mnemonic (and write that into the notes).

3 Likes

I actually find that if I don’t do more than 20 in a lesson set and I read each and every bit of the mnemonic, concentrating to picture things like Kouichi in an inflatable tube at the harbor really helps me. When I see the pink card for the first time I concentrate on the story and replay it back in my head before I type in the reading or the meaning. I do this even when I know the Kanji cold. Next time I see it, I do the same. By the time it is ready to level up I find I barely remember the story but the readings and meanings stick.

I also find that doing vocab in a timely fashion also helps to cement the kanji reading in my mind as well.

That’s what works for me; maybe it can help you? Either way, I really hope you find a good method that helps them stick for you!

1 Like

Thank you so much for the precious infomation!

Good.

Use that anger to keep driving forward. Anger and hatred and the need for revenge is a far more powerful motivator than any of this love and happiness bullcrap people are so on about these days…

Use the self-study script to study extra and nail them. Or just open a tab for each new kanji every level and go through them manually until you know them.

First of all, welcome to WaniKani and this community!
We have a very nyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaice commeownity and I really hope you’d like it here and want to stay! :cat2:

Second, as @finnra さん has pointed out, it’ll get easier, just stick with it.

Third, for the future, there’s nothing wrong with creating new threads, but, just so you know, there is a special thread dedicated to complaining and venting out:

https://community.wanikani.com/t/complaining-is-still-a-must/35475?u=trunklayer

Anyway, best of luck with your studies!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.