This is being read as an offshoot continuing Episode 2. Episode 1 was originally read as part of the Visual Novel Book Club.
Current week start date: May 26, 2023
Next Week (Week 2), to be updated
We’re aiming to read approximately 25k characters per week! A suitable enough end point will be selected each week and posted within the thread.
This week's endpoint: 25.8k
Scene transitions and character count (Steam version)
|Kakeru’s home (Beginning of 4/26)
|School (Beginning of 4/27)
|Kakeru’s home (Endpoint)
- Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
- When asking for help, do your best to provide context. Pasted text, screenshots, descriptions, etc. Unlike book clubs we can’t flip to relevant pages, so we may need a little help identifying exactly what is being discussed.
- Feel totally at ease to ask questions or give your thoughts, any time! Clubs live and die by participation, and asking whatever question you have, no matter how silly it may seem, helps others who are reading it and even the answerer themselves.
- Have fun, and do your best to interpret anything said with as much good faith as possible
- I’m reading along
- I have finished this part
- I’m still reading but haven’t reached this part yet
- I’m no longer reading
About halfway through the reading already, it’s going well. Just wanted to quickly say since we get the same or a very similar explanation of the anime and the like at the beginning of each episode – those parts are a little longer and more complex than a lot of the writing after, and I remember starting episode 1 being surprisingly hard. Obviously it helps that I basically know what it’s going to be saying now, but I’m definitely finding those parts a lot easier to read now than I was at the beginning. Big progress.
I’m done! Hmm, this week…
It might just be safe to assume the game is gonna get worse when Rig Veda is around, heh. Again we have a chuuni deep dive plus the humor of just turning Kakeru into the stereotypical id of a teenage boy. The 胸 stuff (wonder how many times that word is used this episode…) being the general attitude around Haruka so far is a little unfortunate… that aside, I at least kinda found her more likeable here than I did in the past episodes, and the slow stammering didn’t bug me the way it previously had. I again appreciate that we got into things quickly; they seem to have shaken off one of episode 1’s biggest problems. The spy angle is ok but I don’t think I’m all that interested in centering Ghost as an antagonist again, assuming that continues through the episode. Who knows yet, though.
Yuuki’s magic chant nonsense is one of the hardest things I’ve “read,” if you could even give me that credit, yet in Japanese, so I’m a little scared of episode 4 now. Otherwise, not too hard this week.
I guess overall this week kinda continued what we’ve come to expect from the VN with all of us having reasonably similar takes on its pros and cons. Not totally unenjoyable to read in the end but… she’s just not Sora, y’know?
Since we’re at Ep. 3, let me repeat my post about differences between two all-ages versions - Steam, and Palette’s Japanese-only Complete Edition - maybe it will be useful to someone
Summary - 2 CGs, one scene and one sprite variant missing from Steam version. Spoilerous details inside
- The CG for the scene where Kakeru influenced by Haruka’s power pushes her on the bed and starts touching her breasts is missing (replaced with white screen) and the text also seems to be shortened.
- Even though the text mentions Haruka wearing Kakeru’s shirt, there’s no sprite with her wearing a shirt - instead the one with her normal clothes is used. In the later scene, where she gives Kakeru a lap pillow after unbuttoning the shirt, it is also text-only in Steam edition, while in Complete Edition there’s actually sprite variant with the unbuttoned shirt (in adult version there was a h-scene with boob sucking)
(Yes, those are the screens from the “All Ages” version - but I guess Steam wouldn’t allow that)
- The scene with the two getting together in a bath has been completely removed from Sekai’s all-ages version, while in the Complete Edition it’s intact.
Well, sadly, not everyone can be Sora