🪴 Way of the House Husband Volume 2, week 2

Hi!
We’re reading chapters 11 and 12 this week!

Main thread here.
Vocabulary list here. It can be edited, now!

Useful resources
Kansai-ben: kansaiben.com | Kansai-ben index,
Kansai-ben in 極主夫道, Osaka-ben transmogrifier
Yakuza slang/極道用語
Onomatopoeia
Contractions: Reference thread, more exhaustive list

• I’m reading along.
  • I’ll catch up later.
  • I’ve read ahead, but I’m here for discussion.
  • I won’t be joining this week, but I still like polls.

0 voters

4 Likes

I found chapter 11 reasonably straightforward (at least with the help of a dictionary),
But I really had no idea what this means on the first page
そろそろやのぉ
I found やのに in the dictionary (Kansai ben meaning and yet, despite this, but even so, but even then, however, for all that,
but I’m not sure that helps me…

3 Likes

page 27. The policeman says 慎重に中の様子を…
I wasn’t sure what he was about to say
様子を伺う is in my dictionary as to wait and see, to see how the land lies
so maybe he was going to say carefully, lets take a look to see what’s happening inside?

3 Likes

I don’t know why なぁsometimes becomes のぉbut I’m pretty sure that’s what this is. It gives me old person vibes, but that’s probably because there is an old couple who talk like this in another manga I’m reading.

そろそろやなぁ
(そろそろだねぇ)
Soon…

7 Likes

Page 22
やっこさん。all I found for this is an origami samurai, but it’s cute for やつ, so I’m guessing 龍 is just using that way?

2 Likes

I was wondering about this too. One idea was that this was a reference to probably Masa, and the whole バレないように referred to not getting found out on the (surprise?) birthday party, maybe?

The way the speech bubbles don’t point to 龍 makes me suspect this could also be policemen speaking between themselves, but I have no idea who やっこさん would be in that case; unless they are belittling 龍. The プロだ and バレないように動くはず would then probably refer to 龍 being a professional that would move around being careful not to be found out carrying (illegal) goods, I guess?

3 Likes

That was my understanding too. Not sure what exact words the policeman was going to use, but it definitely seems to refer to checking what’s the situation inside before acting

3 Likes

Page 39
店は出したものの…
なかなか難しい
シノギやで

I’m guessing 店は出したもの refers to second hand goods, but I’m not super clear on that.
Im not sure about シノギ at all…

Anyone make sense of this panel?

2 Likes

Sounds like you are talking about the bottom of page 23. It’s the police man talking. He’s saying “yakkosan (he, derogatory) is a pro … in order not to get found out … he must be moving (the goods)”

6 Likes

Oh, sorry, I guess I missed this paragraph! I believe that all of your conjectures are correct!

He could also be saying 様子を見る (to wait and see; to see how things go; to survey the situation)… But in any case, I think the implication is clear, as you said.

5 Likes

I haven’t reached that point yet in the manga yet, but the 三省堂国語 dictionary has this for シノギ:
〔俗〕暴力団の資金かせぎ(の仕事)。
Maybe that helps?

2 Likes

page 37
Tatsu says マジカルレッグ (I think, I’m not sure about that second last character it could be シツッ)
I’m pretty sure the beginning is seriously…, and maybe the end is tool?
but trying all sorts of combinations of letters, I still am not closer to working out what the middle is

2 Likes

I found this: 「シノギ」の使い方や意味、例文や類義語を徹底解説! | 「言葉の手帳」様々なジャンルの言葉や用語の意味や使い方、類義語や例文まで徹底解説します。
it looks like シノギ is a yakuza term meaning ‘way of earning income’

3 Likes

The machine is called the Magical Leg (マジカル レッグ), I think :wink:. Which is probably a ‘trademark-safe’ variation on a real machine called the レッグマジックX

Tip for Katakana words: a Google image search is sometimes the easiest way to find out what they mean.

5 Likes

Does anyone know what ゴンタ is supposed to mean on page 46 「お(まえ)らもゴンタやのぉ?

2 Likes

大辞林 has this:

ごん た[1]【権太】
〔浄瑠璃「義経千本桜」の「いがみの権太」から〕
①ごろつき。
②いたずらっ子。腕白小僧。

So, a rogue.

3 Likes

Thanks! That fits well I think.

2 Likes