神さまがまちガえる | Week 1 Discussion

Pages 3-16

Chapter 1 part 1

Start Date: 05th November
Next Week: Chapter 1 part 2

神さまがまちガえる Home Thread

Vocabulary List

Please read the editing guidelines in the first sheet before adding any words!

Discussion Guidelines

• Please blur out major events in the current week’s pages, and any content from later in the book/series, like this: [spoiler]texthere[/spoiler]

• When asking for help, please mention the page number (or % for eBooks).

• To you lurkers out there: join the conversation, it’s fun!

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll:

• I’m reading along
  • I’m planning to catch up later
  • I’m skipping this book

0 voters

If you’ve read it before but will join in the discussion (or have read ahead), please select “I’m reading along”!

7 Likes

Hello!
I have a question about the title of the manga. The English translation is “God Bless the Mistaken”, but the way I’m translating is “God is mistaken”. Is this just differences in translation or am I missing something with the grammar here?

And another question:
Some of the characters use 姫(ひめ) to refer to かさね. Is this part of her name or are they using it as a nickname of sorts? Like how we might say “okay, princess” in the states?

9 Likes

I agree that the English translation is not literal. I can’t see how 間違える can be translated as “bless” with any stretching of its meaning, so they probably took some liberties in the translation to English. My translation of the title would be “God makes mistakes”.

As far as I know it’s very common for the English titles to be different to the literal japanese, even when the english title is chosen by the author (which I’m not sure if that’s the case here or not).

My understanding is that it’s both things. かさね’s full name is 姫崎かさね (ひめさき かさね), so they are using part of her last name as a nickname. We get a glimpse of that in the door plate of their apartment in page 11:

16 Likes

Thank you for the detailed answer! That makes sense :grin:

8 Likes

I’m glad you asked that question. It helped me as well.

8 Likes

Good day everyone,

The art of the manga is great and the story seems intriguing. I’m thrilled to follow along this one ! I will use the volume count for pages since there are no sub-counting for each chapters

I had to look up a lot of vocabulary for page 8 and 9. While I was completing the vocab sheet, I wondered, when I come across a word like 帰宅困難 : Inability to go home should I break it down in two parts 帰宅 : Returning home And 困難 : Difficulty / Inability or keep it as a whole ?

Ok, now on to some comprehension related questions, thank you for taking care of me ! :upside_down_face:

Page 9

はよ曜日覚えろよ

I’ve read somewhere online that はよ was basically はやく but in Osaka’s Dialect.

page 11

こんなに生えて水とか養分とかどうなってるんだろ

How would you interpret this one ? I read it as
“With all this growth, I wonder what become of such things as waters and nutrients”

Page 16

Kousei says んー今月ちょっと, Is he leaving out part of the sentence out to say something like “Hm… A bit too much this month” or should I understand it ironically like “Hm… Only a little this month”

And just after Kasane replies with マジすか!Apparently すか, marks disappointment, Is it something commonly used ?

I know this week’s discussion is from page 3 to 16, But i pushed through page 17 to finish the dialogue neatly :).

Page 17

Maruko says
紺のやつ流されやすそうだからな
“Apparently Kon is easy to wash away”

Because she uses やつ、 I feel it has a pejorative meaning, maybe something like “Kon is the type of person to give in easily”

Has someone a clearer explanation ? :pray:

Side note

Page 9’s Horoscope :star:

Not sure what we are supposed to read about the rank 9 !

Rank Month Horoscope
9 November 失敗を引きずりそう
10 July Gossip in moderation
11 February

So Kousei is probably born in either one of those three month

4 Likes
Page 16 answer

I think it’s the “I’d rather not go into detail, but no thanks” chotto.

I can’t help with the details of すか, but if I remember it correctly, I think it’s Kousei again, answering Kasane’s “By the way, it’s my treat” with a surprised (and not at all disappointed) “Really?!”

6 Likes
Page 9

はよ has an entry on Jisho: early; quickly; soon
​Usually written using kana alone, Colloquialism, Abbreviation, slang, ksb, arch. equiv. of 早く

Page 11

I think it means “…what is going on with water and nutrients etc?”

Page 16

My online dictionary states that マジすか = マジっすか and っす is just an abbreviation of です. In other words, マジすか means 「それは本当のことか」and it expresses surprise and wonder.
Kousei-kun replies with マジすか after Kasane says it will be her treat.

Page 17

I googled the phrase 流されやすい and it seems to mean “be easily affected by people / be easily influenced by others”.

9 Likes
Page 16

Ah I attributed the dialogues wrongly ! I thought Kousei was saying that she should be the one treating them to the barbecue and Kasane was replying マジすか!

It makes more sense to read it the other way arround. And I understand the ちょっと, better in this context. So basically
Kasane : Let’s make a barbecue
Kousei : This month is a little… (Inferring money issues)
Kasane : It’s my treat
Kousei : Seriously (happy face)

Thanks for the explanations @TobiasW and @heikimi, it cleared things up !

6 Likes

I started reading it too! :blush: Really happy I get to join. Thanks @MrGeneric.

The premise seems really cool, I’m looking forward to reading it!

Questions:

On chapter page 7 (volume page 9) - solved

The entire extended bubble that starts with “はよ曜日” - I’m having a bit of trouble figuring out what the entire sentence means. Can anybody help me make sense of it? I broke down the words, but they don’t really make sense to me together.
Screenshot 2022-11-06 at 23-47-09 Oracle Enterprise Data Management Cloud Software - Find the best Data Management Software for your business - US APK LIVE

On chapter page 8 (volume page 10) - solved

What does “ついでだし” mean here?

5 Likes

Glad to see you here! :grin:

I’ll leave the answering to somebody else this time as I haven’t started reading this one myself just yet. Still playing catch-up on a couple of others that I fell behind in! :joy:

5 Likes
Page 11 (or chapter page 9)

“こんなに生えて水とか養分とかどうなってるんだろ”
I kind of thought he was talking about where the plants get the water and nutrients from. Like “what’s going on with that”

@MrGeneric No worries! I’m just happy you pointed me to this thread because I thought I was already late. Good luck with catching up :yellow_heart:

Note to self: Stopped at the end of page 11 because my eyes hurt

4 Likes

Welcome!

About volume page 9

I had to break down this one myself to as I initially struggled with the meaning of the second half. Here is how it went !
First bubble
はよ曜日覚えろよ : Hurry up, learn the days of the week

はよ : i.e はやく Quickly, Early.
Fun fact I realized just a minute ago, おはよう can be written お早う. It’s related to the meaning “Early” thus why it’s used as Good morning.
曜日 : day of the week
覚えろ : 覚える Imperative form
よ : Emphasis sentence-ender particle
Note that usually instead of emphasis, when よ is used with imperative, it soften the sound to be less aggressive

Second bubble
もう越してきて半月ぐらい経つだろ : You already moved here half a month ago, right ?

もう : Already
越してきて : 越す Apparently is usually as the meaning “to cross over”, but it can also mean “to move home”, which I guess is the case here
It’s in the てくる form which implies that the action is done moving towards the speaker current position. So I think it puts stress on the fact that he moved in this house
半月 : half a month
ぐらい : around
経つ : elapse (of time)
だろ : だろう For seeking confirmation

I don’t have an explanation for your question page 10, I just assumed what it meant from the context. So i’m interested too !

7 Likes
Ahhhhh!

The disconnect I had was with understanding what was meant by the imperative to have to quickly understand what the days of the week were and then it was all jumbled up in my brain between that and having moved somewhere?.. lol I’m such a dumdum. What was meant was the trash and the days on which it has to be put out :smiling_face_with_tear:. Thanks for the super detailed explanation, it clicked thanks to that :yellow_heart:.

4 Likes
On chapter page 8 (volume page 10)

ついで+だ+し
ついで (序で) means “opportunity; occasion; chance” and when you look at the phrases using 序で it is used to convey the meaning of “taking the opportunity; while one is at it”.
In the manga, Kon forgets about garbage day and has to go pick up the garbage in his room. So he says to Iyoda-san (who is on garbage duty): “ついでだしおれ出してくるよ”
“I will take out the garbage while I am taking out the one in my room.” Because he has to do it later anyway.

8 Likes

Makes sense, thanks! Often when the kanji isn’t there, it’s a bit confusing, at least for me, hehe.

5 Likes

Happens to me too ! Because I read slowly, sometimes, I forget about the context and some dialogue don’t make as much sense when they are not considered in the whole conversation !

Alternatively sometimes I don’t realize I don’t understand a line because I rely on the context and go over to quickly (i.e page 10). Thanks for clearing for breaking down ついで+だ+し @heikimi

7 Likes

No worries, it is the same for me :sweat_smile: I could guess this one because I have seen ついでに before.

6 Likes

I’m impressed with how well so many different people were introduced in the first few pages and they felt distinct, not only in looks. Very cool. (Obviously still pretty shallow differences, but still impressed with how different they felt still.) (Maybe not much of a spoiler, but doesn’t hurt. :woman_shrugging: )

Looking forward to next week!

9 Likes

I thought the same! I also like it how if it were translated to English, it would’ve have been able to have the same sorts of distinct character voices.

I remember reading this one comedy romance manga (the name escapes me right now) about two childhood friends where the girl is super boy-ish, and the English translated manga was so funny and great, but there were just so many puns related to the way she speaks in Japanese that couldn’t be translated. The Japanese version was so much better. One of the reasons why it made me try and learn Japanese better :blush:

It’s so fun when manga manages to have so many distinct characters that all seem to be quite interesting!

5 Likes