Way of the House Husband, V. 2 Week 5

Hi y’all!
I hope you are enjoying your winter or summer, depending on which pole you are close to–or your constant weather pattern, if you are near the equator.

This week, we are reading chapters 17 and 18
Vocabulary sheet here
Main thread here

Resources for Kansai ben and Yakuza slang

Kansai-ben: kansaiben.com | Kansai-ben index,
Kansai-ben in 極主夫道, Osaka-ben transmogrifier
Yakuza slang/極道用語
Onomatopoeia
Contractions: Reference thread, more exhaustive list

• I’m reading along.
  • I’ve finished this part, but I’m here for discussion.
  • I won’t be joining this week.
  • I just click polls.

0 voters

4 Likes

p127, What does ポン mean here? I can guess the meaning, but it doesn’t appear in my dictionary. (Jisho suggests that it can be a cutesy suffix to a name. So is it like “hon”?)

1 Like

I love the conversation between Tatsu and his father in law, where the father-in law tries to make small talk about dogs and singing and Tatsu misinterprets the questions…
How come in Tatsu’s replies here the implied meaning (eg 刑事) is put in brackets rather than using kanji/furigana? Any reason?

1 Like

p134 二人ともいい歳だよ
I can guess what he is saying, but can’t quite translate it
any ideas?

1 Like

I think this is said by the MIL, and i infer it’s “You two are certainly the correct age to play that” said in a sarcastic way.
In normal english it probably would be something like “Aren’t you a bit old for that?” but I’m not sure it keeps the tone of the original.
If anyone has a better guess I’d appreciate it

3 Likes

p139 他愛のない話しながら
I can’t parse this

while saying …a trifling thing??

1 Like

This is the sound effect for patting someone on the shoulder. From thejadednetwork, meaning (2):

I am not sure. I feel adding kanji furigana to a katakana word is a bit uncommon, so maybe that’s why they went for that in this case?

Dad-in-law here is trying to explain Tatsu how playing catch is done.

他愛のない is a set expression that means “silly, foolish, trifling”

他愛のない話 would be something like similar to small-talk; talking about trivial things.
他愛のない話しながら would be “while doing small talk”.

So Dad here is explaining that talking about trivial things is part of what playing catch entails. This is not a complete sentence - he continues in the next panel with ボールを, presumably trying to say “You (throw) the ball (at each other) while doing small talk”. For obvious reasons, he never manages to complete the sentence.

3 Likes