魔女の宅急便・Kiki's Delivery Service 🧧 Repeat Club

I’d ask in the relevant chapter thread, so that the answer will be more easily findable for others (who knows, repeat club #2? :smile: )

3 Likes

Fun fact, as I was reading your post, my spouse used that structure. Nice timing :joy:
Anyway, it’s short for であること, so it’s a way to put emphasis on what came before. It’s similar to the English structure “what a …!”

Edit: didn’t realize we were not in the proper thread (cf @nienque’s post). Way to add to the noise, self :joy:

6 Likes

え?I thought I was in the chapter 5 thread…

2 Likes

Nope…this is the main thread.

welcome to book club :rofl:

cuz no one has ever done that before

8 Likes

Week 9 - finishing Chapter 5

I. Am. On. Holiday!! Finally, finally might actually have some time to catch up on everything I’m behind on. Though, that sadly includes various “life things” I should probably prioritise first…

15 Likes

Oh lordy I’m sprintin’. Hit Chapter 5 today, but I think that’s plenty of hustle on my part. Time to play some video games hahahaha. Planning on getting Part 1 down tomorrow, then catch up on my Yuru Camp reading…

Still, I’m very glad I took this book up. This has been a very challenging way to dive into more immersive studying, especially with a movie that’s near and dear to me. So far, it does seem like the movie has done a rather good job of capturing the original book.

There are a few differences I’ve noticed, like Jiji being more snarky, Kiki feeling much more childish, and some interactions being a tad more standoffish. These last couple weeks have been pretty event-focused as well, so I hope I get to see more scene-setting!

6 Likes

Have you seen the original release of Disney’s dub? They gave Jiji several snarky lines that weren’t in the Japanese version (giving him lines when he’s off-screen or not facing the camera).

2 Likes

Oh, I have seen the Disney dub haha. I actually think I meant more bratty than snarky. Jiji comes across as a lot more childish in the book.

2 Likes

Week 10

We’re hitting the halfway mark this week!

7 Likes

One of these days I’ll catch up and be current with the club’s pacing…

12 Likes

I’ve accepted I won’t LOL

4 Likes

Plenty of chapters left to make it in, @mintyfresh @Phryne. I don’t advance on Saturdays because it’s the one day I allow myself to drink. Use it to catch up. Consider reading four pages.

2 Likes

The problem is that (1) I got the book four weeks late (damn you corona!) and (2) the normal pace of the book club is all I can really manage. I just don’t have the mental bandwidth to read extra pages and the stress of trying to do so burned me out on reading Kiki entirely for the past week. So accepting I won’t catch up is the best thing for me to do right now, I think. It makes the reading feel like less of a hopeless struggle :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Sounds like that’s a good plan for you right now :+1: It’s not a small achievement to read at the book club’s pace, no matter the time shift between you and the actual club.

And don’t forget, you can always ask questions even weeks or months later, there’s always still people around to help you along.

9 Likes

Yeah! Quote one of my posts and it’ll head straight to my email inbox. I’m sure it’s the same for all of the other regular (and, of course, far less entertaining) book club members as well.

7 Likes

Going at your own pace is (in most cases) better than trying to keep up with other people just for the sake of it. I just got the book today and I probably won’t really try to catch up, because it’s just really a lot.
The best part of this: noone is gonna judge you for going faster/slower or starting earlier/later than others, if anything, people are gonna help you and encourage you!

5 Likes

Week 11

If you can make it through to the end of this week you’ll have read more than half the chapters in the book, and more than half the pages.

がんばって! :triumph:

11 Likes

Just wanted to say that I’m still here, still reading, but not really forum-ing because just reading the book takes up all the time I have left after finishing my SRS reviews :sweat_smile:

But I do read through the new comments on the various threads, thanks for asking and replying to all those questions – they’ve helped me even if I don’t have time for more than lurking! :blush:
(You all go into so much more detail than I do, I just aim for good-enough understanding and move on to find out what happens next – so your questions/answers often clear up things I’ve just glossed over)

14 Likes

I’ve just been on a two week holiday and did no reading…don’t even want to know how far behind I am. But I’ll work that out today and get going again!

So I’ve checked - 4 pages which I’ve partly done, then another 33 pages to the end of chapter 6. This may take a while!

9 Likes