魔女の宅急便 (Kiki’s Delivery Service) Discussion Thread: Chapter 5

Nb. お腹 was a typo…I used what I knew to pull up the correct kanji in my keyboard and forgot to delete the “extra” お. blush.

Thanks for the discussion. I had seen elsewhere about kanji density and balance, as well. (Sorry, no reference)

1 Like

While on the bus yesterday, I pre-read some of chapter 5 in the 2020 English release. Getting to the material in Japanese today, and also referencing the 2003 English release, I’m finding some minor differences…

Release Line
Japanese 「そう、にあうわよ。あたしもむかしは、あなたぐらいやせてたのよねえ。その水着が着られるなんて、うらやましいこと」
English (2003) “Yes! It fits you fine. Just think, I used to be as skinny as you are. I really envy you, being thin enough to wear that suit.”
English (2020) “Yes, you look great! I’m jealous of how well that suit fits you.” (Looks like part of it’s been condensed into inference.)
Release Line
Japanese 「でも、なんだか、体がはみだしてるみたいで……いやだなあ」
English (2003) “But I’m sticking out all over! I don’t like it!” cried Kiki, who had always worn long dresses, and had never gone out with so little on before. (Did this one add a whole extra bit not in the Japanese original??)
English (2020) "It’s like my body is squished—it feels weird.
Release Line
Japanese おソノさんはそういいながら、自分もスカートをひっぱって、足をにゅっと出してみせました。
English (2003) Osono pulled her skirt up above her knees, and stuck out her own bare leg to show off what it would be like.
English (2020)
5 Likes

Just a short checkin for a single question today before I finish the chapter tonight. Gotta go catch the next run on SGDQ.

• それあんまりいい性格じゃないわよ - Reading this, my thought was Kiki is saying that it’s not a good personality trait. But a quick run through machine translation says it means “It’s not in your nature”. Is the computer right?
1 Like

I‘d say you are right and the machine is wrong, as it seems to have swallowed the いい. I.e. I‘m reading it the same way as you (fwiw ^^).

7 Likes

I’m guessing it’s for the same reason that I can sometimes read kanji I don’t “know”–because I can get it from the context when it’s in a very familiar phrase. So, the author/editor may be trying to expose non-grade level kanji to kids through phrases that are so common that they can read them despite not knowing the kanji.

2 Likes

Repeat Club Discussion (Week 9) Starts Here!

Chapter 5 Part 2

V1: Pages 110 -123
V2: Pages 99 - 110
BookWalker: ?

We’re reading to the end of Chapter 5 this week.

22 August 2020

Please briefly check whether questions have already been answered above before posting them, but otherwise don’t hesitate.

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading but haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m dropping this book
  • I’m a superhero who’s read it before but is here for chatting :books:

0 voters

4 Likes

Phew! It was a stretch, but the section is completed! Onto the next part of chapter 5. Looks like 13 pages for me. Rise and grind, no days off.

Well, maybe a half day.

• このところ流行にはとんとごぶさたなの。- Just checking my understanding, but by ごぶさた is she saying She hasn’t been keeping up with trends lately?

Not much to comment on here, other than that I’m always worried for poor Kiki whenever she goes out into the big wide world.

4 Likes

That’s what I got out of it.

Weblio defines the word as:

「ある程度の期間、関わりを持っていない状況。」

“A certain extend of time where you haven’t had anything to do with.” (Probably a really bad translation on my part.) Or re-written otherwise, “Being out of touch of a long period of time.”

I think I get this, but just in case, I’m posting it here.

ハイドウドウ wasn’t in any dictionaries, but I found this explanation:

実際の乗馬では危険です。「はい」が馬を進めるときの掛け声「どう」が制止するときの掛け声なので、同時にいわれると馬は混乱して暴れ、振り落とされてしまうかもしれません。この歌では馬ではなく熊なので心配ないのでしょうが……

From which I gather that the phrase (from a song, I think?)
馬に乗ったハイドウドウって感じ

Is feeling like you’ve just been thrown from a horse after giving it mixed messages. So, in the spreadsheet, I’m translating ハイドウドウ as “mixed signals given to a horse.”
Thoughts?

2 Likes

I’m finding this week’s reading very stressful. Not the grammar, the actual storyline!

3 Likes

Hoo boy. After all my bluster, I go and miss two whole days. That’s not great.

The main reason is that I had multiple assignments for a grad course all converge their due dates tonight. That wasn’t fun.

A secondary, more fun reason was that I’ve been doing more figure painting to try to manage my stress levels. Here’s my latest!

But that’s no excuse. I’ve got to start catching up, and I’ve got to start doing it right now. So, from pages 1-2 of this week’s section:

• お水のところでぺたぺたやってんあさい - Is she saying to kick his feet against the water, so as not to float away? Or to splash around in a puddle?

• そこにおすわりしてなさい。- This sounds a little odd, and makes me wonder if I’m misinterpreting the scene. Is the boy sitting on a floatie in the water, or on the beach? It seems odd to tell someone “Sit over there” while they’re floating around in the water, even if they are technically seated.

• キキもつられてまたねそべりました。- Let me make sure I have this right by breaking it down. キキ - Kiki | も - particle | つられて - Te form of to be lured | また - Again | 寝そべりました - past tense of to sprawl out. So she also went over and sprawled out?

6 Likes

glares at typo

Q1: I read this as your first option, i.e. he should actively work against floating away.

Q2: I interpreted it the same way, that he is floating in the water. Before that sentence the mother said that he should not go to the area where it’s deep, so I suspect this おすわり might have a more figurative meaning, as in “stay put” or something?

Q3: I think they were neighbors anyway (iirc), so I took this to mean that she followed the lead of the woman (or took this as an invitation or however you want to phrase it) and also lay down.

5 Likes

Lol. Looks like the 2020 version is 超lazy

1 Like

I will never stop screwing up んなs. Don’t think it’s possible.

Read two and a half pages last night. Once the emergency started, it both became tough to put down and easy to read. I’d better ask my questions so I can hurry on to a less stressful part of this book!

• それは空から落ちてきたかと思うような激しさでした。- This is sentence was surprisingly hard to parse for such a short one. I read it literally as It was so intense that she thought it had fallen down from the sky. Which makes sense, but sounds a little awkward in english.

And, like I said, it got pretty easy to read one things went south. But, we’ll see how things go from here. I think I need to read about 3 pages a day to start 6 by friday.

2 Likes

It’s a plain な :sweat_smile: (やってなさい)

I think that ような gives it a nuance of It was so intense that one could think it had fallen down from the sky. i.e. it’s not that Kiki really believes this but that it’s used here to draw a vivid comparison (which I’m seeing very often in Japanese stories).

But like I said, this is just a nuance, otherwise I fully agree with your translation.

1 Like

Hm. Only 99 cards to add to the anki deck for chapter 7. That must’ve been where some falloff happened.

Well, hopefully it also means that because words are being reused, there’s less to pre-study. Guess I’ll find out. Still, that means I can crank down my new words per day a bit, which I’m thankful for. Anki has been my savior for this book, but I don’t want to spend all my study time clearing out an anki pile.

Speaking of being saved, I believe on page 5 of this week’s reading, a boy and cat were in dire need of the stuff. From pages 5-7 of this week’s section:

• あばれ馬みたいにいうことをききません - Is this saying that The broom wasn’t listening?

• 海水パンツ - I mean, I guess that’s what they are…

• ちょっと休んだら。- Finally, I hit something I’m genuinely unsure of. The context makes me think it means something akin to “Some rest.”, or “Some break.”, said sarcastically, but I’m honestly not sure how the たら grammar works here.

• ジジが前方を指さしました - But cats don’t have… I suppose it just means point, but still. It’s more of a つま先豆さしました.

• 飛びたいんだから、飛ばせてあげましょうよ。いたい目に合えばわかるでしょ。- Ice cold, Kiki. Ice cold. I spent a solid 10 minutes trying to find one of those horrible old websites where you could take a photo and stick on sunglasses, a joint, a necklace that says “100% gangsta”, and an obscene amount of animated glitter, but it seems like none of them work anymore, so please imagine those things on a picture of kiki. image

4 Likes

Yes.

This is a suggestion. the たら conditional is commonly used to give a polite suggestion. You can think of it as a shortened version of ちょっと休んだらどう?= How about you rest a bit?

Well, there’s quite a bit of vocabs containing body parts as a formality. I’d say 指差す has nothing to do with the physical 指.

3 Likes

I mean, I know that full well. It wouldn’t have been used if it wasn’t the case. But I still like pointing it out.

2 Likes

Looks like someone had the same idea recently : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8LMU4nsNJ0

Perfect. Updated.

1 Like