鋼の錬金術師 1 🦾 Book Club (Intermediate Manga Club) [Starting August 3rd]

Managed to pick up Vol 1 yesterday at the bookstore. Thank God that manga is still really cheap here. It was only 550 yen. Can’t wait. This is one of my favorite series!

9 Likes

Thinking of joining in August, but want to skim through the volume to see what you’d be in for?

Volume one is free to read through July 18th. (Then it goes away.)

Planning on reading along but haven’t bought a copy yet?

Volume one’s 275円 until July 18th, from BookWalker at least.

12 Likes

I finished 黄泉のツガイ(same author, very similar in style imo, highly recommend) and absolutely ready for FMA \o/
Well, level 30 is still too high for me, but I watched first versions of anime and read some manga translations back… many, many years ago, also started Brotherhood version recently so words like 等価交換 or 賢者の石 are familiar even if I struggle with kanji. It’s actually quite interesting how it’ll go, because grammar in 黄泉のツガイ was quite ok with me (natively’s level is 25). Is level of FMA so high because of military titles or archaic words? We’ll see in two weeks, totally looking forward to it!

6 Likes

Ooo I loved this show (the original version) when I was in college, have never seen Brotherhood, so I’d definitely be up for joining this challenge!

I’ve just checked the price of a physical copy and it’s £12 for just vol 1 or £65 for all 27… looks like I’m committing :joy:

9 Likes

You, uh… finished it? The whole thing? Are you from the future? :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah, all of Arakawa-sensei’s works are pretty similar in style. She has a pattern.

4 Likes

Me :handshake: You

I just unwrapped all these bad boys from their plastic the other day, flipped at random, saw some devastating spoilers but it’s my own fault for doing that, I’m PUMPED!! :raised_hands: I can’t wait to start!!

13 Likes

Haha, I wish!
Well, my goal was to finish all existing volumes before the start of FMA. But the next volume is scheduled around September already, so I’m gonna read it alongside FMA offshoot (hopefully). The works have so many common points, it’s gonna be fun :laughing:

I haven’t read other works, but I triiied Gin no Saji. The fantasy component missing makes it harder reading for me :thinking:

5 Likes

Haha yes, if anything, it just makes financial sense :joy: (and they look so pretty on bookshelves)

I ordered mine from eBay last night so fingers crossed they arrive in time for the start of the club :crossed_fingers:

4 Likes

I already bought the first three volumes but if I feel like continuing after that I’ll have to procure one of those.

3 Likes

I’m ready :joy:

15 Likes

YES!!! See you in the Volume 2 thread later ahaha

3 Likes

I wasn’t thinking of joining this club, because I have had more success with reading a single thing at a time and I’m in the middle of a VN. But then I saw the start date approaching…and Fullmetal Alchemist was one of my favorite mangas when I was a teen…and I couldn’t resist, I already have the first volume and I’m ready to go :saluting_face:

12 Likes

Intention: Learn the highest frequency kanji and words I don’t know from the volume during the month leading up to the book club. This will making the reading process much smoother.

Reality: I learned 錬 and 錬金術 this morning! (That’s one kanji and word down…)

15 Likes

And so it begins! Finally :partying_face:

11 Likes

I havent joined in a book club in a while as I tend to skew more towards action fantasy manga, super excited that we are doing one of my favourite series!

I’ll read along but I suspect I’ll fall behind and end up at a slower pace due to a mix of my slow Japanese reading speed, busy work schedule, and another manga I’m partway through >.>

Super excited, see you all in the weekly threads.

13 Likes

Week 2 is up!

8 Likes

Thread for week 3 is up!

9 Likes

Will there be an offshoot club for that series? I Am Already Commited In Reading More Than One Volume

7 Likes

Given the number of participants it seems popular enough to warrant an offshoot. I already own the next volume and I know some other readers do too.

This is actually going to be a problem for me, I’m reaching book club critical mass…

9 Likes

It’s always a glorious day when a book club votes for something I have no interest in reading.

8 Likes