運命の赤い糸を信じますか?— Can you read this sentence and understand what it means?

red-string

運命の赤い糸を信じますか?— Can you read this sentence and understand what it means?

Level 4 and above should know at least two of the kanji, which is what this sentence is about. This may be an Asian cultural reference, but it’s a symbol of something romantic…:speak_no_evil::two_hearts:

Keep reading and find out what this is about!

Vocab

運命 LV.11: Fate.

赤い LV.4: Red. In this case, 赤 (red) has い at the end. That means it’s an adjective for the noun 糸 that comes after it.

糸 LV.4: String.

信じる LV. 15: To Believe. 信じますか is a question form of this verb.

Let’s break it down!

運命の赤い糸

Red string of fate
It’s been said that there’s an invisible red string that connects a person’s pinky to another person’s and they’re meant to be together in Japan.

___を信じますか?

Do you believe in ___?
信じる is a transitive verb and its direct object is 運命の赤い糸.

The answer:

うんめい の あかい いと を しんじますか?
Do you believe in the red string of fate?

It’s like asking "Do you believe in destiny?” but specifically in a romantic term.
This is a common reference we use in Japan! (Did anyone know that🧐?)

21 Likes

I did not know that. My wife is Japanese, but not necessarily the romantic type. So I suppose if I asked her the question, her answer would be something like アホやね!

7 Likes

わかりました。
けど、その習慣を知らなかったから信じるかどうかわからない。

2 Likes

I could read “Red string of fate” (yay so proud of myself!) but haven’t yet learned the verb “to believe.” And if I have I definitely don’t remember.

2 Likes

The first thing that comes up in my mind when reading the sentence is a scene from 君の名は。

5 Likes

haha or something like なにゆうてんねん

The Crabigator is proud of you, too! :raised_hands:

I don’t remember they actually mentioned the reference in the movie, but they definitely used the red string as a metaphor!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.