進撃の巨人 (Attack On Titan) reading attempt

:0

Yes, but they’re talking about themselves. I couldn’t really figure it out, so I cheated and looked at the English translation and it was pretty simple after all.

しっかりやる to do properly
“If that happened, we’d do it (be ready/work/etc.) properly.”

しかし but
な you know

1 Like

:melting_face: totally misinterpreted it then, how do you know that sentence was referred to them?

Fuck!

1 Like

It doesn’t make sense for them to be talking about the titans since they think they will never be able to break the wall. And it’s a continuation to their talk about what would happen if the titans came and they needed to work. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Right, I was thinking about something like “if they destroy the wall we’re screwed” but it doesn’t make much sense

Small question

Not sure of what is って the contraction of. Also I guess it’s simply for emphasis
Also how is 安心している時 translated? “Times of peace”?)
そうやって is “that way”
危ない→dangerous

1 Like

やって is the te-form of やる – it’s not a contraction of anything here.

2 Likes

“when you’re feeling secure/safe”

4 Likes

Oh yeah I know, I meant って at the end but apparently it’s a direct quotation since the next sentence is ”父さんが言ってたんだ!!”
Appreciate the help <3

3 Likes

“However (けど) I’m no match for Professor Jaeger, the benefactor of the city”

Previous line: まぁ…確かにそうかもな “well… there certainly is that possibility”

Following line: でもなぁ… “But…”

Was my translation correct?

2 Likes

Looks good to me. :+1:

2 Likes

Just checking I translated this good
兵士になれば→”if become a soldier” (who’s the subject? Generally speaking or the interlocutor “you”?
壁の補強作業とかで→”wall’s reparation operations and such things”. Not sure what this で is but it’s probably means because it specifies the thing that allows the sequent part…?
壁の外をうろつくヤツらを見かける機会があるんだが→”the opportunity of happening to see ‘them’ wander aimlessly outside of the wall”

Last doubt. Why this sentence ends with が? Is there an implicit part such as ある or else, or this second part of the sentence is simply the subject of the following line? (Could it be? If yes I’ll provide context but I’m not even sure it’s possible)

“ If you become a soldier, by (doing) the operations of wall reinforcement and such things, there’s the chance of seeing ‘them’ wandering aimlessly outside of the wall “

Edit: now that I think of it, で could also be connective だ, it would simply mean “do reparation works, and happen to see… ecc…”
Am I wrong?

2 Likes

Most likely, but it could also be a starting “but”, if they were talking about how it’s unlikely to see them normally, “but they could have the chance if they become soldiers and…”

Either when or at, I don’t think it’s だ since they would be able to see the titans specifically because of working on wall repair or other stuff.

2 Likes

No, this cannot be the case as you would need a noun or nominalizer immediately before が。
Instead, it’s a very common phenomenon: it acts as a softener at the end of the sentence, with the (very weak) “but” meaning of が。Like “If you became a soldier, you could do this and that, but, well…”

5 Likes

:thinking:

Huh?

見かける機会があるんだが…

見ないほうがいい。

Am I missing something?

1 Like

Thanks both for your points of view, if it can help, here’s the following line:

ヤツらにこの50mの壁をどうこう出来るとは思えねぇんだ
Not sure why ヤツら takes the に but,
I interpret this as
“Them, this 50 meters wall, one thing or another (どうこう) doesn’t seem can do”
Or
“It doesn’t look possible to me that they’re able to do anything with this fucking 50m wall”
Also missing what とは is doing bht I guess the answer is ‘nothing particular’

1 Like

Generic you, no talking about Eren. Basically he wants to say "because I’m solder I saw them already but… (see next line why the が), but he frames it as "when you become a solider, there are opportunities to see them (and so I saw them) but…

1 Like

So this が isn’t subject but “but”

Artistic liberty, I like it.

2 Likes

Ah…

You said subject, but I thought topic.

By which I mean, the が as “but” sets up for the next topic. Blame me not being able to read.

2 Likes

What do you mean exactly?
So why does やつら rakes に in the second sentence? I can’t explain

I guess the whole thing can be translated as

“If you become a soldier, during the reparation operations of the wall you might be able to see them aimlessly wandering outside the wall, but… → it doesn’t really looks possible to me that they can do something to this huge 50m wall”

1 Like