進撃の巨人 (Attack On Titan) reading attempt

Oh okay I get it! No blames :wink:

1 Like

Adds emphasis to a negative statement.

1 Like

By them?

1 Like

Oh okay so it’s basically setting the context during the which is possible to see them

1 Like

First line has the の nominalizer and the second one has ほう as a noun.

Am I missing something?

Ok wait, was this in response to @NicoleIsEnough ?

I’m so confused. :neutral_face:

1 Like

Yeah, I just thought she said that you couldn’t use が like that even though it made no sense, but it was me not understanding what they were talking about.

Reply is to him since he’s the one that needs the explanation in order not to get confused.

3 Likes

Ah gotcha. My bad.

The replies were so fast and furious I got lost. :joy:

2 Likes

I need to do it like that because he doesn’t read my edits. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

I have the same problem but I think it’s more that I have a tendency to think of something after posting and go back to add an edit but the response is posted in the meantime.

That and Discourse doesn’t notify you on edits as far as I’m aware.

1 Like

I usually race to be the first person to reply, or just generally give a simple reply, but then think about it and start searching so I end up with a bunch of edits. He’s pretty quick at reading replies, so he’s already asking the questions I’m answering by the time I’m editing them in.

3 Likes

Sorry, I did not trace all the confusions that followed hereafter :sweat_smile: But I take it that we are now all sorted? (If not, would you please repeat what’s left of the confusion? Thx!)

4 Likes

We Gucci. :sunglasses:

5 Likes

I’m going to take no more than 60% of the fault for that :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I don’t want to miss important edits so feel free to tag me anytime if you add anything, I’d appreciate that :ok_hand:

2 Likes

“ Well then, そもそも there’s no preparedness/readiness (覚悟) to fight them!? “
About this, I wonder if I translated good 覚悟 and how can I translate そもそも and add it to the dictionary sheet?
Edit: for そもそも I’d hazard that in this instance it means “in the first place”

Also: next line is “ ねぇな! “
I guess it’s like “Exactly, we’re not” but could it be a negation to エレン as “No you’re wrong” ?

1 Like

“What the fuck!! By now (もう) stop calling yourselves “garrison corps” and start calling yourselves “wall construction corps” !!”
2 questions:
もう is by now, right?
I’m not sure about にしろ but I think it’s definition L on jisho “to trasform A into B” which lists as example AをBにする (but in this case it’s imperative) and since 壁工事団 is in 「」the object of trasformations is the way they’re called
I guess

1 Like

I often encounter そもそも with the meaning of “from the start” or “ever since”, and 覚悟 often means something like “resolution” or “determination”. So together I would roughly say “So you never had the determination to fight them?”

Japanese often repeat what is said before in order to agree. So yes, I also read this as agreement. For “No you’re wrong” I would rather expect 違うよ!or something along these lines.

It usually means “already”, so here it matches the English “stop it already” or something, I’d say. But it’s more like a word that bears a nuance than a word that should get translated, if you know what I mean. (The nuance being “it’s about time”/“you should really” or something)

The meaning is just like that, but if you want to research the exact grammar point then I think it’s closer to this one (given you don’t have を and you don’t actually transform things):

which plays nicely with もう actually: “Make up your mind already” or something.

3 Likes

I guess it’s this, it perfectly fits the context. Getting a better grasp of そもそも :nerd_face:

Right, I should’ve thought that to disagree there are 100 better ways that are not mistakable with an agreement :sweat_smile:

Exactly what I was looking for!

The rest is clear, thanks for the help ^^

1 Like

役立たずの「タダメシ食らい」って馬鹿にされてる→ Made fun of, as useless free meal eaters
時の方が→ ??? How is 時 modified by the rest? And is が subject or ‘but’? I guess this last one.
みんなは平和に暮らせるんだぞ→ everyone can live in peace, isn’t it? (I know ‘isn’t it’ is not an appropriate translation but the whole sentence looks more like an assertive statement asking in the end “isn’t this true?”)

“It is in times when we’re made fun of and being called useless free meal eaters, that everyone can live in peace, isn’t it?”

Edit: maybe better translation.
“People can live more peacefully in a period when we’re being mocked as useless “free eaters”.
Decided to put off the ‘isn’t it’ because perhaps question is so light it doesn’t really count even as rhetorical, it was just Hannes explaining something to Eren like ‘haven’t you considered that?’

1 Like

More like “everyone was allowed to live in peace”. Notice that 暮れる is in the causative tense here.

時の方が is mostly for emphasis here, but it’s the same のほうが as the usually grammar point - something is more (than something else)

2 Likes

Could you have misread? I only see 暮らせる which is potential
Also, Jisho says that the causative is 暮らさせる but maybe I’m missing some contractions or else…?

4 Likes