耳をすませば 📚 | Week 6 Discussion

Chapter 3 (second half)

Start Date: 2022-10-14T15:00:00Z
Last Week: Chapter 3 (first half)
Next Week: Chapter 4 (first half)

耳をすませば Home Thread

Pages

This week we’re reading pages 119–138, as per numbering in the physical re-release.

If you have the original release, post a photo of (part of) a page with a number, and I can see if it matches the re-release or not.

For digital readers, this week is pages 115–134. However, your reader software’s internal page counter may list this week as pages 116–135 (due to counting the cover page).

You'll know you've reached the last page for this week when you see the sun shining across two panels.

Vocabulary List

Please read the editing guidelines in the first sheet before adding any words!

Discussion Guidelines

• Please blur out major events in the current week’s pages, and any content from later in the book/series, like this: [spoiler]texthere[/spoiler]

• When asking for help, please mention the page number (or % for eBooks).

• To you lurkers out there: join the conversation, it’s fun!

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll:

• I’m reading along
  • I’m planning to catch up later
  • I’m skipping this book

0 voters

If you’ve read it before but will join in the discussion (or have read ahead), please select “I’m reading along”!

6 Likes

This weeks reading was really fun! Some interesting developments and it turns out Seiji can draw/paint really well… I wish I could draw like that :melting_face:

Question for little side story p.123 or digital p. 120/121

What excatly is this little short story and what is happening in it?

制作日記 means “production diary” or something like that, right? So is it a story about the makers/author of the manga?

And the first part says “the time I finished drawing my initial attempt 何々 (don’t know)”. Then some random man talks to her about her red panda and she wants to get out of the situation so she tells him she’ll go the other way. Then the man gives her some kind of card with his address and she can’t believe it for some reason?
Yeah, that’s about all I can decipher. What does it all mean? I think I’m just too stupid to understand and it’s actually really simple :sweat_smile:

Edit: sorry, I didn’t notice this was supposed to be the author herself

Short question as to what happened at the end of this weeks reading: Did Seiji offer to show Shizuku his own writing or have I misunderstood that?

4 Likes
p123

I think it’s just a little anecdote/story about something that happened to the author while she was writing the manga. 初回を描きあげた頃 is “when I’d finished writing the first part/chapter”. The animal is an アライグマ, incidentally – the guy misidentifies it. It’s “annoying super-talky guy finds reason to start conversation, goes on and on, and when she finally lies to get out of the situation gives her a postcard with his contact details which he claims is a photo he took himself (which she thinks is a lie)”. The しんじらんない at the end is more “I can’t believe that just happened to me/I can’t believe the nerve of that guy” , not specifically “I don’t believe him”.

On the short question: no, I think you’ve misunderstood. Seiji doesn’t write.

7 Likes

Thanks for your answers. That helped a bunch!

3 Likes

Probably p117 digital/p120 physical, 雫 says ううん。らんれもない。But what does this mean??

5 Likes

なんでもない, but in a really sleepy voice.

9 Likes

How did you translate this sentence? I know all the words but it does not make sense to me.

p.122(?)

きのうまでとはちがう同じ明日

2 Likes

I read it as something like:

(Compared to) up until yesterday, it’s changed/different, and tomorrow will be also.

But I don’t know if that’s correct,

4 Likes

I read it as one of those “it’s the same but it’s completely different” philosophical type statements. Like, tomorrow’s the same day as it’s ever been, but it can’t be the same now because they’re not all just innocent friends together. End of an era, like the previous panel says.

I’m not super confident in that, though.

6 Likes

Pg. 123 (physical)

I’m trying to sort out the kanji at the top of the page. I know what 作日記 means. writing diary. But I don’t know the first kanji, and of course, how it changes the meaning. Thanks!

4 Likes

This is 制作日記, which are two separate words, 制作 = creation/production and 日記 = diary. So basically the title refers to a diary of stuff that happened while the author was writing this manga.

6 Likes

He suggest Shizuku write her own stories if the books she’s been reading isn’t quite doing it for her. At least that was how I understood it.

I’m enjoying what I am reading so far, but it also feels kinda unfocused. Like if someone asked me what this was about, I’m not sure I could give a good answer. While I usually wouldn’t like that kinda thing, but there is something with this that just kinda works for me.

7 Likes

I’d say this sounds about right for the manga. Regarding the overall manga (not really spoiler, but marking just in case):

There isn’t really a clear “overarching story” with set goals up front that tell us what the conditions for it to end are. Instead, it feels more like a multi-chapter series of events in a slice-of-life story. I can see why Studio Ghibli selected this manga to adapt, following their prior movies at the time.

6 Likes

On page 129 (electronic version) I’m confused by the begining of this sentence:

2人兄弟なんだが上の方は写真が好きでね。
I looked up the translation and it’s supposed to say “his older brother loves on the other hand, loves this picture”. Why does it say 2人兄弟 then?

4 Likes
p129

Where did you get that translation from? It’s not right…

To break the sentence down a bit: so far in the conversation the old man has been talking just about the grandson who painted the picture. So
2人兄弟なんだが
“[He; that grandson] is one of two brothers, but/and” – this phrase is introducing the fact that there’s another grandson. In English we’d probably say “He’s got an older brother” or “Actually I have two grandsons”, just because that’s a more natural way to phrase the thought in English: 2人兄弟 is perfectly natural Japanese but awkward to translate directly.

上の方は写真が好きでね。
“the older one likes photography”.

…and now the old man has told us there is an older brother, he can say what he wanted to say about them (and then in the next sentence go on to make a comparison between the two of them).

For a non-literal reasonably natural translation with the next couple of lines thrown in, how about “Actually I have two grandsons; the older one likes photography. Their personalities are completely different but they like the same sort of things.”

6 Likes
p. 129

oooh I see. Thank you! The English translation skipped the part where he says he has 2 grandsons. I got it from here which is where I go when I’m stuck.

2 Likes
p129

That site has the line as “His older brother, on the other hand, is enamoured by photography”, which is fine – I think you must have mistranscribed it in your initial question.

2 Likes
For the curious, here's an example of this being used in another manga.

5 Likes

I thought this article was wonderful, and explained quite a few things about Hayao Miyazaki. Like the good/evil dichotomy that I was raised with, and (at the very least), the less rigid view of good/evil that draws Miyazaki (and why). Also, I have found that the culture in which I was raised, likes to have things well defined. I assumed this was the only way to look at the world. But Japan and the Japanese have definitely expanded my views.

4 Likes

Fun activity of mine: pick a Disney movie from the 1980s or 1990s and reason why the villain wasn’t actually a bad guy, but rather just went about things in a bad way. It may be easier than you think :wink:

3 Likes