耳をすませば 📚 | Week 7 Discussion

Chapter 4 (first half)

Start Date: 2022-10-21T15:00:00Z
Last Week: Chapter 3 (second half)
Next Week: Chapter 4 (second half)

耳をすませば Home Thread

Pages

This week we’re reading pages 139–158, as per numbering in the physical re-release.

If you have the original release, post a photo of (part of) a page with a number, and I can see if it matches the re-release or not.

For digital readers, this week is pages 135–154. However, your reader software’s internal page counter may list this week as pages 136–155 (due to counting the cover page).

You'll know you've reached the last page for this week when you see wind blowing through a tree at night just before the last panel.

Vocabulary List

Please read the editing guidelines in the first sheet before adding any words!

Discussion Guidelines

• Please blur out major events in the current week’s pages, and any content from later in the book/series, like this: [spoiler]texthere[/spoiler]

• When asking for help, please mention the page number (or % for eBooks).

• To you lurkers out there: join the conversation, it’s fun!

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll:

• I’m reading along
  • I’m planning to catch up later
  • I’m skipping this book

0 voters

If you’ve read it before but will join in the discussion (or have read ahead), please select “I’m reading along”!

7 Likes
Story comments (spoilers for this week)

What a cliffhanger to end this chapter on! O_O

Also this week felt super short but I see now it is the same length as most weeks. Weird.

I enjoyed seeing Shizuku start to write her own story and more beautiful paintings from Seiji.

And if you guys think I can wait almost a week to finish the rest, you are wrong. xD

9 Likes

Well, I didn’t. But I almost never do. I didn’t translate it all though. You’re probably a better reader then I am.

What is the 2nd half of the book about? And why is there an author commentary at the end (if I understood that right). Is that standard??

1 Like

Not entirely sure what part of my message this is aimed at.

If you have the physical book in the rerelease form then there is a short story connected to 耳をすませば, not sure if it is a sequel or what exactly. Many manga/books have 後書/あとがき where the author talks about whatever they feel like, usually something in connection to the story you just read. There is also an essay and an interview article in this volume. Those last two I mentioned aren’t standard, but you find such things in some things.

7 Likes

Yeah, the essay-by-some-other-person (the 解説 – かいせつ) is rarer for manga, but it’s extremely common for (non-light-novel) novels – most will have one IME. They’re generally 5 to 10 pages, and the writer will say something about what they like about the book or how great the author is or mention some personal connection to the work. They often have a bit of description of the book – I’ve read several that claim that some people who pick up books in a bookshop will first turn to the 解説 to see whether they’ll like the book (I guess the equivalent of reading an Amazon review :-)). They are of somewhat variable quality and interest, but I always read them because I’m a completionist about reading books.

In this case the 解説 is by 鈴木 敏夫 (Suzuki Toshio), the producer of the Ghibli anime adaptation, and the discussion is between the manga author and 近藤 喜文 (Kondō Yoshifumi) who was the director of the anime (and who sadly died rather young).

I will be reading the second story, 解説, discussion, etc, from the physical re-release version, so if anybody else does and has questions about them I’m happy to try to help if I can.

7 Likes

I was referring to waiting to finish the rest of the book with the group. I generally peak at the end of most things.

2 Likes

Thank you for the thorough explanation. I have actually been to Studio Ghibli, but it was probably somewhat wasted on me, as I hadn’t started studying Japanese.

I think being careful and thorough with our current reading, is the best that I can do - so I won’t be reading the last bit.

However, while we at the end of our little Ghibli Studio segue here, there is a new Ghlbli Park opening next week.

https://ghibli-park.jp/en/

3 Likes

Japan just released the movie 目をすませば。

Here is a review: ‘Whisper of the Heart’: First love story is sweet but shallow | The Japan Times

3 Likes