老女的少女ひなたちゃん・Little Granny Girl Hinata-chan Volume 2

And we’re off - starting volume 2 today!

I may have forgotten what day it is so I’m putting up half a thread and editing it later.

I plan to keep one thread per volume, with a weekly post checking participation etc.

Schedule

Week # Date Chapter Page #s Pages
1 22nd June 10 3-20 18
2 29th June 11 21-39 18
3 6th July 12 40-58 19
4 13th July 13 59-76 18
5 20th July 14 77-94 18
6 27th July 15 95-112 18
7 3rd August 16 113-132 20
8 10th August 17 133-150 18
9 17th August 18 151-169 19
10 24th August おまけ 170-174 4

Home thread: 老女的少女ひなたちゃん・Little Granny Girl Hinata-chan Offshoot

Discussion Guidelines

Everybody should feel free to post and ask questions–it’s what makes book clubs fun! But please do not post until you are familiar with Spoiler Courtesy!

Spoiler Courtesy

Please follow these rules to avoid inadvertent ネタバレ. If you’re unsure whether something should have a spoiler tag, err on the side of using one.

1. Any potential spoiler for the current week’s reading need only be covered by a spoiler tag. Predictions and conjecture made by somebody who has not read ahead still falls into this category.
  2. Any potential spoilers for external sources need to be covered by a spoiler tag and include a label (outside of the spoiler tag) of what might be spoiled. These include but are not limited to: other book club picks, other books, games, movies, anime, etc. I recommend also tagging the severity of the spoiler (for example, I may still look at minor spoilers for something that I don’t intend to read soon).
  3. Any information from later in the book than the current week’s reading (including trigger warnings that haven’t yet manifested) needs to be hidden by spoiler tags and labeled as coming from later sections.
Instructions for Spoiler Tags

Click the cog above the text box and use either the “Hide Details” or “Blur Spoiler” options. The text which says “This text will be hidden” should be replaced with what you are wishing to write. In the case of “Hide Details”, the section in the brackets that is labelled “Summary” can be replaced with whatever you like also (i.e, [details=”Chapter 1, Pg. 1”]).

Hide Details results in the dropdown box like below:

Example

This is an example of the “Hide Details” option.

The “Blur Spoiler” option will simply blur the text it surrounds.

This is an example of the “Blur Spoiler” option.

Posting Advice
  • When asking for help, please mention the page number, and check before posting that your question hasn’t already been asked. As the threads get longer, it becomes more convenient to use the Search function, which is located in the upper right corner of the forum. It is the magnifying glass which is near your profile picture! The best way to search is usually to type part of the sentence you are confused about, and select “in this topic”. This will show you all posts within the current thread which has that string of text.

• Be sure to join the conversation! It’s fun, and it’s what keeps these book clubs lively! There’s no such thing as a stupid question! We are all learning here, and if the question has crossed your mind, there’s a very good chance it has crossed somebody else’s also! Asking and answering questions is a great learning opportunity for everyone involved, so never hesitate to do so!

If necessary, include an explanation of any discrepancies in the Ebook page numbers from physical page numbers. If there is an easy shortcut for some ebook versions to relate back to physical page numbers, it would be worth it to include it as a third bullet here, or if you want to use chapter page numbers instead of volume page numbers, as is the case with some manga. For example:
Example

For the Kindle version of this manga, the page numbers and the location number are always 3 apart. If you subtract 3 from the location, this will give you the accurate page number!

OR

Please use the chapter page numbers, instead of the volume page numbers. These are located in between the panels!

Participation

Will you be reading along with us this week?

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m planing to catch up later
  • I’m no longer reading the book
0 voters

If you’ve already read this book but are still going to join the discussion, please select “I have read this part.”

Don’t forget to set this thread to Watching in order to stay abreast of discussion!

5 Likes

Sorry for the lack of comments etc - this week was super hectic for me but on holiday from tomo!

Reading chpater 11 this week!

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m reading this book after the club has finished
0 voters

*If you’ve already read this book but are still going to join the discussion, please select “I have finished this part”.

5 Likes

I’ve also been pretty busy so I completely forgot to read but I’ll get on it soon

4 Likes

Ok, just finished the first chapter! I understood most of it but some of it went a little over my head but I’m generally fine with not understanding everything 100%.

If i get a chance i might try and go over some of the parts I didn’t quite get again.

5 Likes

Yep and ask questions! It’ll be good to have a bit of chat in the thread. I’ll catch up soon, probably today.

3 Likes

Caught up now, and I’m intending to keep it that way! I’m in too many book clubs but should try to stay up to date with this one since I’m running it.

I’ve also finally gone back and updated the schedule until the end of volume 2.

So far liking the story, especially chapter 11. I do prefer where it goes a bit into the backstory etc.

4 Likes

Reactions

Page 7: I only know the sound of cicadas from animal crossing lol

Page 8: Did Touma put the cicada on her or something

Page 9: The toddler naps continue! Napping when its warm tho 10/10

Page 11: cute
Screenshot 2024-07-02 213545

Page 16: IS THIS GUY IMPORTANT (or the school)

Page 17: QUICK HELP HER SHE’S MELTING
Screenshot 2024-07-02 214716

Page 19: Omg yes I want her to meet her grandson

Questions/Japanese

Page 10

花火観にいこ

I don’t see this version of 見る often, though that’s probably because I only recently got into reading properly. But its my understanding its used when you’re watching something and paying close attention to it, although googling it it also says its used when you’re watching something and appreciating it more which makes sense for hanabi rather than TV.

Page 14

Ok so if I’m understanding her scheme, they’re putting warm water on shaded areas because it’ll cool the area down without evaporating?

I’ll get onto chapter 11 in a couple days, 10 was good though its nice to be reading Hinata chan again :older_woman:

3 Likes
P8

I think the cicada just landed on her.

And I think it’s the school that’s important, not the person.

1 Like
Page 8

Ah ok, that’s what I originally thought but then I didn’t understand why her friend yelled on Touma and Hinata tried to chase him unless I missed something

1 Like

Actually I looked it again and I think you’re right!

2 Likes

Reading chapter 12 this week!

• I’m reading along
0 voters

*If you’ve already read this book but are still going to join the discussion, please select “I have finished this part”.

3 Likes

I wonder if they’re common in summer all across Japan or only in certain parts. They seem to always be making noise in summer in manga!

Key aspects in the dialogue:

• 「見間違えちまった」 For a moment she thought it was someone else.

• 「サダヲの中学の制服だな」 She realizes it’s the same uniform her grandson wore in middle school.

We can tell from the beginning of volume one that Sadawo is an adult now, but we don’t know if Hinata remembers that.

One way I think of it is watching something with intent versus because it’s there.

I expect one uses 見る if they’re watching something on TV because the TV happens to be on while they’re doing something else, and 観る when they have the TV on to watch a specific show.

This is seen in 「からかい上手の高木さん」 whenever Nishikata talks about watching a new episode of the various anime he likes.

It's also used for seeing a movie.

And finally, if we reflect back on volume one...

Cooler water works between to create an evaporative cooling effect due to the temperature difference between the water and the hot ground, compare with warm water.

But in the hottest part of the day, the evaporates too quickly to create the cool feeling.

Likewise, in the shade the effect is weaker (due to a smaller temperature difference with the water), but it lasts longer.

Thus Hinata says to use the technique in the shady areas in the morning or evening so the water doesn’t evaporate away too quickly to be effective.

4 Likes

I’m caught up :saluting_face: no comments really other than I hope she finds her grandson

2 Likes

Reading chapter 13 this week!

• I’m reading along
0 voters

4 Likes

I liked this chapter :clap:

I’m glad she got to have her moon viewing celebration, also Moka’s story about the rabbit I was like WHAT HE ATE THE RABBIT??? I mean I know it turned out it got reincarnated but poor rabbit. Also Hinata’s brother offering to help her make her dango was so sweet, the way her face lit up.

I assume the rabbit story is the reason why Hinata made a little rabbit dango at the top of her pile, I looked it up and didn’t know the moon and rabbits were related but that’s nice

5 Likes

Reading chapter 14 this week!

• I’m reading along
0 voters

3 Likes

Chapter thoughts and favourite pics

OOOOOOO I’m excited to see who this みっちょん is. I want to read ahead but I’ll forget to leave any comments here if I do so I won’t. But exciting stuff :clap:

I liked that Hinata wanted to do something that the old folks would recognise rather than something the kids knew of. To be honest I did skim over their play and her explanation of what was going on a bit because having to look up that many words was driving me a little bit nuts lmao. Some official old story to do with a money box is what I gathered.

Best pics

4 Likes

Yeah, I only just finished off this week’s reading, and I found the section with the play preparation tricky and a bit time consuming.

Agree it was intriguing - I was also very tempted to read on - but we can do so in 2 days!

4 Likes

Reading chapter 15 this week!

• I’m reading along
0 voters

4 Likes

Reading chapter 16 this week!

• I’m reading along
0 voters

3 Likes