Start Date Chapter Page Numbers Page Count
May 11th 17 - 1 x 2= ? 3 - 28 26
May 18th 18 - 家は道遅れ 29 - 58 30
May 25th 19 - Sサイズの冒険 59 - 78 20
June 01st 20 - スイートホーム 79 - 108 30
June 08th 21 - 間違い探し 109 - 138 30
June 15th 22 - 今日の続き 139 - 174 36

Vocabulary List

Please read the editing guidelines in the first sheet before adding any words!

Discussion Guidelines

• Please blur out major events in the current week’s pages, and any content from later in the book/series, like this: [spoiler]texthere[/spoiler]

• When asking for help, please mention the page number (or % for eBooks).

• To you lurkers out there: join the conversation, it’s fun!

3 Likes

17 - 1 x 2= ?

Start Date: May 11th

• I’m reading along
  • I’m planning to catch up later
  • I’m skipping this book
0 voters

If you’ve read it before but will join in the discussion (or have read ahead), please select “I’m reading along”!

3 Likes

I thought the chapter was funny. Reminded me a bit of a Futurama episode.

(can’t embed the YouTube video when hiding spoilers)

4 Likes

yeah read this quickly with my digital bookwalker mokuro
@ChristopherFritz thanks for the help
got through this a lot faster

(though admittedly didn’t add any vocab to the sheet reading this way)

the toilet thing was mean but funny

3 Likes

oh fun new vocab today

edit:
@seanblue I migrated my wk to kitsun at level 44 when they broke all the scripts for the millionth time

got sick of the leeches and insanity that’s why it the screen shot looks like this - currently at level 57 by autumn should hit level 60 (yeah wk in a year is mostly a lie - almost at 5.5 years w/o resetting) if it weren’t for kitsun would have dropped wk a long time ago

3 Likes

That was a nice episode to start out with. Not particularly deep, but a quick and fairly easy read.

The “one existence, two terminals, like a file in a cloud” doesn’t seem to be quite it, considering that both have memories of their own (e.g. where they learnt something, or in Maruko’s case where they met their doppelganger), and also the splitting is a bit of a mystery, but close enough I guess, and the remainder is bug magic.

I wonder what would happen when both bodies feel different sensations on the same body part, e.g. dipping the right hand into ice-cold water and very warm water at the same time.

I feel like Kasane decided to do the experiment here to spend time with an anxious Kon and possibly in the hopes of reaching a result that will make him less anxious, which is sweet!

The chapter reminded me a bit of Cerberus, The Triple Demon from the game Helltaker - a single soul in three bodies, sharing sensations.

Man, I really hope this will be a good volume. I’m pretty sad that it’s the last. I hope we’ll learn more about Kasane’s special existence before it’s over!

3 Likes

18 - 家は道遅れ

Start Date: May 18th

• I’m reading along
  • I’m skipping this book
0 voters

If you’ve read it before but will join in the discussion (or have read ahead), please select “I’m reading along”!

4 Likes

Oh, a backstory chapter! The bug only played a minor role which is a bit disappointing, but it worked well as a story device at least. Now I wonder if Kousei and Iyoda will get more backstory too.

I liked it well enough, but I feel like there’s not much to say about it.

3 Likes

yeah feeling a bit sad that this is ending

hopefully we will get some closure on everything

feels like this had a lot of potential

will see how it goes.

3 Likes

19 - Sサイズの冒険

Start Date: May 25th

• I’m reading along
  • I’m skipping this book
0 voters

4 Likes

A decent bug, a bit of fun with Nene (I like chapters with Kon’s friends), and the “Maruko leaves” storyline inches a tiny bit forward.

Just like the previous two chapters it’s not bad by any stretch, but it isn’t wow-ing me either, and I’m getting a bit anxious whether my hopes and expectations for this volume might be overly high due to it being the last one.

Also: Since this bug can be considered dangerous, I’m now a bit curious how high injuries and deaths due to bugs are… if there are any?

On one hand, I think this hasn’t been mentioned a single time so far, and Nene (and everyone around them, except Kon as usual) seems really unconcerned here. If I remember correctly, we’ve also learnt at some point that bugs actively try to prevent damage due to them ending, but nothing regarding side effects while the bug is going on.

On the other hand, the foremost authority on bugs, Kasane herself, says that with this bug it’s dangerous outside. So what kind of dangers do stray cats and crows pose here? Death, injury, mild inconvenience?

3 Likes

agree - feeling like this is going to sort of go out with a whimper

could have had some serious fun with the rain drops / giant puddles / revisit the bubbles in a different way

and agree about meeting other creatures/cats - could have had them meet the tukimichi (forgot what it was in the last chap of vol1 or was it vol2) - so many ways to play with this a bit

could have developed the char depth a bit more as to why not running - it’s all in all not bad but just could be better / also Kon’s feelings about all the changes and not having the family

pains me that it seems like had lots of potential (barely scratches the surface of the individual characters) The story telling is what keeps it interesting. The bugs are fun but wish for more depth.

oh well, it will all be over in a few weeks (I’ll enjoy what we can get)

3 Likes

Two walls of spoilered text had me thinking this was gonna be an exciting chapter. がっかり!

I’ve wondered from the beginning whether this was a planned ending or if it got canceled. It’s possible it got canceled and only the last chapter or two will try to wrap things up properly.

3 Likes

our evil plan is working
it’s our plan to make purple level 60 circles happen

good point

but was thinking it’s possible that this could still be made into an anime and chars and stories developed further could still be made into a really great fun anime :wink:

2 Likes

Haha. Sorry, sorry.

At first my post was mostly “Again: I liked it well enough, but I feel like there’s not much to say about it.”, but then I got curious about that whole “Actually… can the consequences of bugs hurt you?” thing, and well… we got a wall.

It’s a bit hard to tell, yeah. The ending announcement felt sudden and surprising to us readers, but maybe the author knew or planned that for a while. And since there isn’t much of an overall plot and no specific goals or climax that the characters are working towards, we have no real way of knowing while reading either.

I hope it’ll have more good chapters than just the last one or two though. So far it has been a bit mid.

But hey, like @shuly said, I’ll take what I can get. Slightly mid chapters are still better than no chapters :smiling_face_with_tear:

4 Likes

It is a shame there’s not more plot considering how plot-focused やがて君になる is.

4 Likes

read this weeks chapter already but realized @Shadowlauch hadn’t posted the new start post yet :wink:

2 Likes

20 - スイートホーム

Start Date: June 01st

• I’m reading along
  • I’m skipping this book
0 voters

4 Likes

Personally I thought this bug was even less interesting than the waterflea one. The whole chapter was… okay.

“I’m the salt and they’re the milk (that changes my fundamental nature that doesn’t change easily)” feels kind of hard to follow mentally. In the first place, it was less a change of nature and more a tiny step forward after being persuaded by Kon and the others.

Kousei wearing a MEOW t-shirt since the strategy meeting… nice :laughing:

3 Likes

another missed opportunity for further char development
some interesting backstory about why the resistance
could have been some past bug that was brought up, or some childhood stuff

3 Likes