直 = fix or?

Hi everyone.

I’m here again with another question. :slight_smile:
I’m now on level 7, and several times I confronted one strange (for me) thing.
In WK we learned a kanji «fix» . Choku. ちょく but for some reason in mobile app dictionaries and on my keyboard the kanji for this word looks like this: 直
In WK it looks different.
Could anyone help me understand if I miss something here?

Thanks a lot in advance!
ありがとう ございます。

1 Like

I think that’s the Chinese version of the character. I’ve had that problem on Android before, with Chinese versions of characters displaying. It got fixed for me in the newer Android versions.

1 Like

It looks normal to me. I’m guessing you have a chinese font installed. I’m not really sure how to fix it since it’s been fine on all my devices, hopefully someone else with better knowledge about this can comment.

1 Like

see this thread (same issue): Different kanji or different fonts?

also this screenshot:

1 Like

Funnily enough, it does show as the Chinese character here in this thread on my PC. Even though it does get displayed correctly on Wanikani and in regular Japanese texts.

fix

1 Like

because simply learning kanji alone wasn’t confusing enough! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Thank you, guys.
Now I at least don’t think I’m crazy:)
Will wait for the next Android update then…

But yes, this makes kanji learning even more confusing… Scared about what will happen on higher levels:)

All of these pairs are considered by Unicode to be the same character but have different renderings in Chinese vs Japanese fonts. (I’m using <span lang="zh"> vs <span lang="ja"> here, so if your computer has both fonts available they should look different.)

There’s probably lots more I don’t know about, but I think 直 is the only one that is a little harder to to guess.
(I stole this list from Kanji Fix’s screenshots - speaking of which, that app may be useful to you, depending on what Android device you have.)

There’s also pairs like

but Unicode considers them to be different characters so you shouldn’t see them mixed up.

Here's the same text as an image, in case the fonts don't show correctly

And a lot more on Wikipedia

Variant Chinese characters - Wikipedia

6 Likes

Thanks!!! That’s just a treasure. Will save it and keep in mind.

Yea even Google translate does that and makes it confusing.

1 Like

These topics are more amusing when the person is like “why does this look different” and everyone else is like “you crazy it looks the same” and whatnot.

4 Likes

I’m lucky then)))

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.