獣の奏者 chapter 5, part 4 discussion

Join the Intermediate Book Club here!

獣の奏者 Home Thread

Chapter 5, Part 4: 運命の曲がり角、最期の便り

Start Date: July 4th
Previous Week: Chapter 5, part 3
Next Week: Chapter 5, part 5

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the page number. If you are reading the ebook version mention the percentage.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :durtle:

Read Aloud

We will be reading on Sundays at 10:00PM Japan time (reading the previous week’s content). Here is the time in your local time zone:

2020-07-12T13:00:00Z

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m no longer reading the book

0 voters

If you’ve read ahead (or read the book before) but plan to participate, please vote for “I’m reading along”.

Summary

Ahhhh, I was hoping we’d see ジョウン at least one more time… :sob:

I feel like right now エリン is kind of in a corner with not being able to leave リラン and the political situation and her feelings about 王獣 in captivity. This is great–I am looking forward to see what happens next!

6 Likes

I was so sad about ジョウン. :cry: I figured from what had been hinted at before that he would pass away at some point, but for some reason I didn’t think it would be so soon. I had hoped that he would visit エリン and meet リラン, since it didn’t seem like she would be able to see him. The end of the chapter where she thinks about how lucky she was to meet him… :sob:

5 Likes

That a short but emotionaly charged chapter

First thing first. Just to be sure at the beginning they talk about how エリン was helped by ユーヤン and トムラ to pass the exam. If you fail the exam you lose the financial support and a lot of students must drop out, right? Then after the exam, the students can go back to their family for some time.

I am so sad for John I did not see it coming. I mean like everyone else I remember when he seemed to have a heart problem but I forgot about it because it seemed so far. I was expecting the letter to be the Queen wanting リラん back since he is healed or that she wanted エリン to be a royal 王獣 trainer or something. When I saw it was about John I was broken inside. Was not expecting to end on that note. Especially when she talked about her regret and the summer house.

5 Likes

:sob: :sob: :sob: Noooooooooo…

5 Likes

Exactly my thoughts :sob:

Now I’m wondering if エサル will be the new parental figure. And will die tragically as well since エリン is cursed apparently.

3 Likes

Regarding the chapter…

It was quite sad. :cry:

I kind of expected this development based on the chapter title though. Anyone else?

@icefang97 My understanding was the same as yours.

3 Likes

I don’t get this sentence around 15%.

Question

ジョウン以外の保護者など、欲しいとは思わない。もう、幼い娘ではないのだ。

I just can’t seem to connect this to the rest of what’s being said.

Here’s the full surrounding context if it helps:

Context

彼にしてみれば、父親が酔狂にも拾って育てた霧の民アーリヨの娘などを背負いこみたくないのだろう。その気持ちが、ありありと伝わってくるやり方だった。それでも、エサルに対する体面があるから、訪ねていけば、それ相応のことはしてくれるだろうが、エリンは、二度と、あの息子に会うつもりはなかった。

ジョウン以外の保護者など、欲しいとは思わない。もう、幼い娘ではないのだ。

幸い、学舎を出るまでは、衣食住の心配はない。卒舎するころには、一人前の大人として生きていけるようになっているだろう。

Answer?

I interpreted it to mean that she doesn’t want another guardian (that isn’t ジョウン) as she is not a child anymore, so it’s whatever that his son doesn’t want anything to do with her (the previous paragraph), and she doesn’t need one since she can be at the school until she is an adult (the following paragraph).

Not sure if that helps…

5 Likes