獣の奏者 chapter 5, part 5 discussion

Join the Intermediate Book Club here!

獣の奏者 Home Thread

Chapter 5, Part 5: 運命の曲がり角、傷

Start Date: July 11th
Previous Week: Chapter 5, part 4
Next Week: Chapter 6, part 1

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the page number. If you are reading the ebook version mention the percentage.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :durtle:

Read Aloud

We will be reading on Sundays at 10:00PM Japan time (reading the previous week’s content). Here is the time in your local time zone:

2020-07-19T13:00:00Z

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m no longer reading the book

0 voters

If you’ve read ahead (or read the book before) but plan to participate, please vote for “I’m reading along”.

I loved this part.

I really like how エサル explained her ideology about 王獣s and how it completely went against Erin’s feelings. Right now I’m still with エサル on this, but seeing how Erin will try to prove it wrong might be nice. I just hope she does’t get harmed again in the process.

4 Likes

A short but nice chapter again.

I was surprised that Erin got insta-bitten. I reread because I could not get how thin escalated that quickly. I realize that this is the effect that it should have had on Erin. I was expecting a slight bite but then she fainted. I was like “This can’t be good for Erin’s case of coexisting with 王獣”

I also like the clash of ideology. I am also team エサル on that matter. I also like that she remembered what John told her about the horse. Even if he does not want to hurt, if he get sting by a bee the horse can kick you in the face then you die. For some reason I liked the fact that the sentence comes from book 1. I was like “I remember that”

4 Likes

Yeah the reference to what John said in book 1 was nice.

If I remember correctly it wasn’t a direct bite, リラン just went 暴れ馬 a bit when she felt sudden pain from Erin’s brushing her, so the claw grazed her head a bit. Which is very similar to what John talked about once.

3 Likes

Yeah now I do remember the grazing part. Doesn’t it seem intense for only grazing though? Her left ear and shoulder were bleeding enough so that her ear were ringing and that she fainted. She could have fainted from the shock or fear but she seems to be in excruciating pain. Have I miss something?

I think that’s just how menacingly dangerous an 王獣 is!

3 Likes

Yeah, she was bleeding a lot and ended up with a few stitches in her ear and I think eight in her shoulder? So it was pretty bad.

@mrahhal My question is: You say bite and then say claw, was she bitten or clawed? The word used was 牙, right? Which is a tusk/fang kind of tooth, but I was confused because I thought she got clawed at first, and also apparently in my head I was picturing 王獣 with beaks, whoops. :sweat_smile:

Also, I really enjoyed this chapter! I raced through it and should go back and read more closely.

2 Likes

Oh sorry, I don’t remember the details so “claw” was my bad. Then I guess it’s that the fangs grazed her head. But what I meant is that I remember リラン didn’t intentionally want to bite Erin? That it just was out of control for a moment and harmed her by mistake? Unless if I’m also not remembering this :sweat_smile: I read this part a week ago, I’ll recheck this it.

2 Likes

Oh no, that part I totally agree with! I was just doubting myself about claw vs fang, lol. Yes, it wasn’t purposeful. エリン hurt her a little when the brush got tangled in a difficult part and リラン reacted in the moment, is how I read it.

2 Likes

It wasn’t 爪, it was 牙…
But it makes sense, if an王獣 can eat something as tough as a 闘蛇, then those teeth must be razor sharp, and even brushing/grazing against them is dangerous.

I am looking forward to what happens next…

3 Likes