獣の奏者 chapter 5, part 1 discussion (START BOOK 2)

Join the Intermediate Book Club here!

獣の奏者 Home Thread

Chapter 5, Part 1: 運命の曲がり角、たてごとの響き

Start Date: June 13th
Previous Week: Chapter 4, part 7 (book 1)
Next Week: Chapter 5, part 2

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the page number. If you are reading the ebook version mention the percentage.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :durtle:

Read Aloud

We will be reading on Sundays at 10:00PM Japan time (reading the previous week’s content). Here is the time in your local time zone:

2020-06-21T13:00:00Z

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m no longer reading the book

0 voters

If you’ve read ahead (or read the book before) but plan to participate, please vote for “I’m reading along”.

3 Likes

:ballot_box_with_check: I do not have the book yet.

6 Likes

You’re reading along ish? :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’m so excited to be starting the second book!

5 Likes

Mine is in Singapore. We’ll have to pool our Jedi mind powers.

6 Likes

早く届きますように!

3 Likes

So I will be first again to speak about this week’s stuff I guess. I just wanna say that this book is beefier than the last one or at least look like it. Seems like the plot thickens.(yes it’s a joke laugh)

This week stuff

For those who wanted to see her use the harp seems like she heard you. I’m not sure about the fact the a cloth can make the harp sound change that much but maybe someone could confirm that. It will sound slightly different but I don’t think the difference should be that apparent or have more echo to it.
Concerning the school giving her money, I wasn’t expecting that because I thought they were a poor school or something. Maybe I was wrong but she just gets a bag out which seemed to be there for convenience purposes. Unless it’s all the school fund but then I don’t understand giving all their money plus something called “payment proof” kinda.

On the brighter side, I like the tree-climbing scene and ユーヤン’s reaction.

4 Likes

Well, I decided to try BookOff online. I only noticed the delivery date after I paid. So… I’ll be up to four weeks behind schedule :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

頑張れ

four weeks should be easy enough to come back from :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Well, yes, but at the same time I don’t want to miss all the discussions. Also, I just want to know what happens next…

5 Likes

Yeah, I got impatient and read a wee bit ahead after the cliffhanger of the last book because I was just enjoying it too much. Waiting 4 weeks sounds like some kind of asceticism. :upside_down_face:

4 Likes
Summary

I think maybe it would muffle the sound. It might be the visual aspect of hiding the harp too. I don’t remember if that was a reason given or not.

I don’t think it was that much? It was a handful of bronze coins or whatever they were. And the thing you’re calling “payment proof” is probably just a check effectively. And エサル said エリン could only use a small amount with that (one silver 粒 if I remember correctly). She tells her specifically that any more than the amount she specified is not allowed.

And yes, this book is longer than the first. About 1/3 longer.

4 Likes

@icefang97 I particularly liked the dorm mother’s reaction. So kind~

harp stuff

I think the reason or effect given in the chapter is that it ‘echoes’ or reverberates more (is that the same thing or is there a nuance there?), the way the sound would in the mother bird’s body. I have never tried this so who knows if it’s true - エリン seems to think she can hear a subtle difference, and she speculates the 王獣 who are much more attuned to this will be able to hear a huge difference.

I’m looking forward to finding out how she’s going to bridge the rest of the difference, since she can’t really hear it herself and all she has to go on is リラン’s reaction. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

My books arrived! Yay!

9 Likes

I thought she can somewhat hear the difference, the sound had become more muffled from the blanket but it is still missing some of the echo she remembers with the original sound. She likens that echo to be similar to when it’s inside a taiko, so I have some ideas for what she’s up to at the music store :upside_down_face:
I’m just wondering how she is supposed to carry home a taiko that’s large enough to enclose the harp, on horseback :face_with_monocle: But I’m sure we will find out.

2 Likes

Oh, that’s an idea - maybe she’s getting the materials instead to build herself? But rather than that, her 竪琴 has been described as the smallest she made, so maybe it’ll fit! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Uh-oh, in last week’s read aloud session I promised to ask a question we did not find an answer for, and I almost forgot… so I should better get my question going in the 15 minutes before this week’s read aloud session :sweat_smile:

In the scene where Erin had climbed the tree and unvoluntarily listens in on Yuuyan’s whispered monologue, she bursts into (silenced) laughter. This is described as

枝の上でを丸くして身体をふるわせて。

I’m wondering why the author used different words to describe what her body did? Dictionary lookups did not get me to a clear distinction of those two words (e.g. Daijirin explains 身 as 身体). So, is the author’s usage just a stylistic one (so that she would not use the same word twice) or is there more to it?

1 Like

I’m getting a late start to this but will try to catch up over the next couple of weeks. :open_book:

I never would have guessed this was the beginning of a new book had they been combined. It’ll be interesting to see what the reasoning is story-wise for the first book ending where it did (i.e. something big happening once Erin uses the 竪琴) or if it was mainly due to length.

5 Likes

Both books were released the same day, so I think they were just split due to length.

6 Likes

or money. Something they just split it for money

1 Like