獣の奏者 chapter 4, part 7 discussion (END BOOK 1)

Join the Intermediate Book Club here!

獣の奏者 Home Thread

Chapter 4, Part 7: カザルム王獣保護場、下から射す光

Start Date: June 6th
Previous Week: Chapter 4, part 6
Next Week: Chapter 5, part 1 (book 2)

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the page number. If you are reading the ebook version mention the percentage.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :durtle:

Read Aloud

We will be reading on Sundays at 10:00PM Japan time (reading the previous week’s content). Here is the time in your local time zone:

2020-06-14T13:00:00Z

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m no longer reading the book

0 voters

If you’ve read ahead (or read the book before) but plan to participate, please vote for “I’m reading along”.

2 Likes

The last part got so into it that I read like I never read Japanese before.(Read it all in one go)

Btw do we speak about the entire book here are just about this part?

Just This part

The ending makes me sad. I was expecting to end on the 王獣 eating not on the 王獣 trying to die by starvation. Some parts were harder but I got the gist of it. At the end the dream of John making music that is the same as the sound the 王獣 makes is actually the 王獣 sounds that she is hearing while sleeping right? I will be in the next book for sure.

4 Likes
About that part

Hm, I don’t think it’s the sound she is hearing right now, since it was basically unheard of for a 王獣 in captivity to make it. She was just dreaming about being the mother bird, dreaming about the sound, and then, by association, dreaming of ジョウン playing the 堅琴 and making that noise. So she realized that she can answer (make the right sounds) with that instrument. How convenient that she learned it beforehand. (Not complaining, though, it was a nice Chekhov’s gun)

7 Likes

I’m going to read this in a couple of days…we’ll start next book next week, right?

2 Likes

Yep, no break.

4 Likes

Am I the only person who spent most of the second half of the chapter thinking Your harp! Go get your harp! You need your harp! Oh for crying out loud girl, why haven’t you got your harp out already! Gaaaaaaaah!?

Also, according to DHL my copy of the next book is currently in Singapore, having already traversed Hong Kong after leaving Tokyo on Monday, but it is due to be delivered in Perth on the 18th. So apparently the last leg will be by carrier pigeon, or canoe or something. :stuck_out_tongue:

10 Likes

TBH I totally did not think of her harp, I was more thinking why don’t you try to imitate those noises with your mouth and see if it is close enough?

Clearly a teenagers’ book after all :rofl:

5 Likes

Nope, I’m with you. Thankfully she didn’t take a hundred pages to figure it out.

I should probably get to order stuff, huh? Especially since there’s no break, I heard? :sweat_smile:
I also need to get so many other books… Maybe I should check how BookOff online works :sob:

3 Likes

Yes for me. I forgot that the harp existed. I also never thought it could be used that way. This is a nice idea. I wonder how yo uare suppose to understand of speak with it though. How would you know which sound means what? If it is true then the Chekhov’s gun(which I learned what is was thanks to the person who posted it first) is a true thing in this book.

Well, I just got to the Book off two weeks ago so I’m good. I love Book off. I need to bring it back from Japan.

1 Like

To be fair this is 3 years later for her, and while we are aware of the significance of the harp thanks to how much detail it got in the book - it was just a new hobby for her! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

But yes, I was also going, ‘just get the harp already!’ at her, haha.

8 Likes

I’m surprised there aren’t more posts in this thread.

Anyway, I’m done! I’m not sure I’ll start the next one tomorrow but soon enough.

It was sad that that didn’t work out right away (but it also would have been too easy). I thought it was funny that エリン was just going off in her head thinking and meanwhile トムラ is there like ‘…I’m still here??’ and then she just leaves, no explanation :joy:.

Same here. And they even describe the sound a bit before that like –ロン、ロン、ロンと竪琴の弦をはじくような音– so I was all :eyes:

5 Likes