獣の奏者 chapter 4, part 2 discussion

Join the Intermediate Book Club here!

獣の奏者 Home Thread

Chapter 4, Part 2: カザルム王獣保護場、入舎ノ試し

Start Date: May 2nd
Previous Week: Chapter 4, part 1
Next Week: Chapter 4, part 3

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the page number. If you are reading the ebook version mention the percentage.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :durtle:

Read Aloud

We will be reading on Sundays at 10:00PM Japan time (reading the previous week’s content). Here is the time in your local time zone:

2020-05-10T13:00:00Z

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m no longer reading the book

0 voters

If you’ve read ahead (or read the book before) but plan to participate, please vote for “I’m reading along”.

Quick question about something early in the section (I think a couple pages in, shortly before a break). First it says that at most 60 students can be accepted into the school based on the funding provided by the ヨジェ. Then it says something I don’t understand, which may be important to understand what’s happening. Then it says about only about 10 people graduate every year. And then it says that therefore only 10 people can 入舎 (which I assume in this context means enroll in the school). I’m clearly missing something, because I’m not getting the logical connection there.

The sentence I don’t understand at all is the one starting with たとえ and ending with という状況であった.

1 Like

My understanding was that the funds received from the ヨジェ can only support at most 60 students at a time, so if only 10 students graduate each year, then only 10 can be accepted as new students. I guess no one ever quits partway?

1 Like

That makes sense. I still have no idea what that middle sentence is saying though. :sweat_smile:

Do you mean the part about how even if they earn money by treating animals from nearby farmers, it goes to the teachers’ living expenses and salary?

Yeah, I didn’t really get why that stuff was being mentioned. It seemed pretty unrelated to the rest of the text surrounding it.

I think to show how much the school is just getting by, and that they really can’t afford to have any more students.

I had a little trouble with the やっとという状況 since I usually see やっと meaning ‘finally’, but a second meaning is 余裕がなく、なんとか成り立っているさま.

4 Likes

Ah, I didn’t even consider that やっと might mean something other than “finally” here. Thanks again!

I was looking for a map after the last section’s political discussions, and I found this fan-made one of リョザ神王国 from here. I don’t know how accurate it is, but I thought I’d link it since I find maps helpful.

4 Likes

This week’s reading was slightly hard when they were talking about how the school work but the rest was fairly easy to get for me. Good thing because I was starting to find Re Zero easier to read.

I had one question at the end

Summary

The very last sentence. John saw fear in the face of エサル. I don’t get why. Is it concerning the fact that Erin is from Arion and that she could be discriminated against?

Summary

It wasn’t fear, it seems her face then just reminded him how terribly strong エサル’s personality is, from when they were studying together in the past. Something like that. She was talking about how it doesn’t matter whether Erin is an Ariyo or not in this academy, as in she’ll make sure that doesn’t impede her studies.

3 Likes
Summary

I saw 恐ろしく so I assumed it was fear. Thx for the help

Well, it is an adverb, so “fearsomely”.
It modifies 強気.

1 Like

Ario was written differently in the two sentences and esaru told jon it was a misspelling (if I did get it well the meaning). it made me think esaru was thinking about ario in a different way :eyes: I don’t know in which way though?

It’s アーリョ, not アーリヨ. :stuck_out_tongue:

Wasn’t the alternate spelling/version mentioned somewhere earlier in the book? I can’t remember at this point.

3 Likes

I gave up on trying to remember which of the two a long time ago :joy:
Hopefully this time it’ll stick.

Clearly you don’t subvocalize when reading or not knowing would drive you crazy. :stuck_out_tongue:

Personally, I just assume that any furigana that can be read with small characters is read with small characters. I think it’s right more often than not.

4 Likes

Haha, weird, because I actually can’t proceed if there’s a reading I’m not sure of. But for this one, it sort of happened.

That actually makes sense. I do feel that’s the case much more often. Should start applying that.

3 Likes

In the intro, the mother tells エリン about the true name of her people and what that name means. The other name is the misheard version that is used by regular people.
The fact that someone would know the true version means that would know the history of the Ario and that’s very suspicious :wink:

5 Likes

I’m very late to this party but I finally have the time to try to catch up.

I was actually surprised that the ‘test’ was literally a written exam. I was expecting something bizarre/magical for some reason.

6 Likes