Schedule

Week Start Date Chapter Page Numbers
Week 1 April 29 21 and 22 3-30
Week 2 May 6 23 and 24 31-58
Week 3 May 13 25 and 26 59-86
Week 4 May 20 27 and 28 88-114
Week 5 May 27 29 and 30 115-144

Vocabulary

Please read the guidelines on the first page before adding any words.

Discussion Guidelines

Spoiler Courtesy

Please follow these rules to avoid inadvertent ネタバレ. If you’re unsure whether something should have a spoiler tag, err on the side of using one.

1. Any potential spoiler for the current week’s reading need only be covered by a spoiler tag. Predictions and conjecture made by somebody who has not read ahead still falls into this category.
  2. Any potential spoilers for external sources need to be covered by a spoiler tag and include a label (outside of the spoiler tag) of what might be spoiled. These include but are not limited to: other book club picks, other books, games, movies, anime, etc. I recommend also tagging the severity of the spoiler (for example, I may still look at minor spoilers for something that I don’t intend to read soon).
  3. Any information from later in the book than the current week’s reading (including trigger warnings that haven’t yet manifested) needs to be hidden by spoiler tags and labeled as coming from later sections.
Instructions for Spoiler Tags

Click the cog above the text box and use either the “Hide Details” or “Blur Spoiler” options. The text which says “This text will be hidden” should be replaced with what you are wishing to write. In the case of “Hide Details”, the section in the brackets that is labelled “Summary” can be replaced with whatever you like also (i.e, [details=”Chapter 1, Pg. 1”]).

Hide Details results in the dropdown box like below:

Example

This is an example of the “Hide Details” option.

The “Blur Spoiler” option will simply blur the text it surrounds.

This is an example of the “Blur Spoiler” option.

Posting Advice

• When asking for help, please mention the page number, and check before posting that your question hasn’t already been asked. As the threads get longer, it becomes more convenient to use the Search function, which is located in the upper right corner of the forum. It is the magnifying glass which is near your profile picture! The best way to search is usually to type part of the sentence you are confused about, and select “in this topic”. This will show you all posts within the current thread which has that string of text.

• Be sure to join the conversation! It’s fun, and it’s what keeps these book clubs lively! There’s no such thing as a stupid question! We are all learning here, and if the question has crossed your mind, there’s a very good chance it has crossed somebody else’s also! Asking and answering questions is a great learning opportunity for everyone involved, so never hesitate to do so!

Membership

Will you be reading with us?
  • Yes
  • Yes, but I might start late
  • Maybe
  • No

0 voters

Which version will you be reading?
  • eBook
  • Paperback

0 voters

4 Likes

Let the antics begin!!! :sparkles:

6 Likes

I don’t know if other people are still checking out the vocab sheet, but I created a new tab for volume 3 for now… I will start adding vocab as I’ve already read a few pages and had some new words pop up. For the pages, I’ll use the numbering corresponding to what’s in the table of contents (so the title page for chapter 21 is page 5, etc)

Ps. I’m loving the coloured pages of Kashima and Hori! The blue tones are amazing

7 Likes

Ken-san is the perfect straight man, he’s the only normal person in the cast of insane characters and exaggerated tropes hahaha

4 Likes

And we’re now up to chapter 23 and 24! (Sorry for the late update!)

@snowwater Thanks for doing that! I hadn’t been using the vocabulary list, but maybe I will start again. :thinking:

Still working on the end of chapter 22 myself, I happen to have an English translation of this volume, so I think I will see if I can use that to figure out some of the things that were puzzling me. I’ll try to report my progress!

@fyrember I think you mean Ken-san maybe? I love him. :joy: I’m glad we got a chapter from his perspective!

5 Likes

Yeah, I keep getting their names mixed up because of the 前 on both of them hahaha

3 Likes
Chapter 23 question

Hmm, I kind of get that Yuzuki is just laughing at the situation (she is crazy after all), but I cannot figure out what Wakamatsu is saying at the last panel - probably since I don’t understand the ズレてる bit. Can anyone clarify this for me? (Other panels for context, if it helps)

3 Likes
ch 23

ズレる refers to slipping out of alignment. So Waka’s wondering why she’s laughing where it’s inappropriate/unexpected to laugh. “Why are you that far out of alignment with the movie?! You should be scared, not finding this hilarious!” That sort of feeling.

5 Likes

Chapter 23 is a Yuzuki/Wakamatsu chapter!! Yay! I love Yuzuki so much. :joy:

favorite face of the chapter (so far)

Yuzuki’s wakuwaku face is so cute!

5 Likes

We had company for over a week so I was a little behind, but I finished chapters 22 & 23 today! Hopefully tomorrow I’ll be able to read 24.

My favorite moments from 22

I agree with others, I love Ken-san haha. He makes me laugh, but then I also feel bad for him hahaha

Chapter 23

Yuzuki and Wakamatsu!! The way he just pASSES OUT (I think) after she sings a little hahaha, I love it

And then later on Sakura being so into the manga chapter based on them lol, gotta love the character dynamics!

5 Likes

Chapters 25 and 26 are now up for discussion!

6 Likes

Somehow got totally mixed up in IRL stuff that I didn’t realize Volume 3 had already started!! I’ll catch up after I get home!

6 Likes

Finally caught up! Thankfully my work is really, really casual this week cause of exams otherwise I would have stayed swamped. Now back on the weekly train and this train has no breaks! (Aside from maybe July)

My favorite chapter:I’m normally a big Hori/Kashima fan, but the chapter that had me laughing out loud the most was chapter 26! All of the misunderstandings and internal reactions had me cracking up. Especially how the friend chapter (forgot her name) kept just calling Sakura, Ribbon. Which chapters have been y’all’s favorite to read so far?

Happy with how much faster I can read these chapters and the understanding I have over them. This is really fun practice!

4 Likes

I’m a bit late as usual, but still around. For me, it’s hard to come back to read this sometimes with all the new bookclubs starting soon, my attention just goes all over the place. But I’ll definitely finish at least this volume.

Anyway, just finished chapter 24 and I also feel like I’m starting to be able to read a bit faster!

Also my fav page of chapter 24

5 Likes

@SeanBones I loved chapter 23! The 動物園 恐怖ツアー ticket at the end was so good. :joy: Also the dollhouse chapter, lots of really excellent absurdity in that one. :blush:

But yeah, chapter 26 is probably my favorite of this volume so far!

I think I’m starting to do a bit better, but this has been a bit frustrating for me at times. Since the humor is so absurd, sometimes it feels like I miss the joke just because I’m not certain if I’m comprehending correctly. And then checking it feels like having the joke explained, which is just not quite as fun.

@snowwater I was thinking of suggesting a longer break as a possibility between this one and volume 4, on account of the Ouran book club starting up. Do you think that might help?

4 Likes

If others are fine with it, then sure. I noticed that for volume 2, I lagged behind a bit during the last few weeks, but was able to catch up during the 2 weeks break, so that helped.

5 Likes

Chapters 27 and 28 are now up for discussion!

Also, polls for the next volume are up!

6 Likes

I’m definitely getting better at this! I read ten pages today without feeling like I got bogged down anywhere, and I also lol’d twice! (Page 99 and 102.) :blush: Feels good to be getting to a place where the manga is cracking me up the way the anime did when I first watched it!

6 Likes
Ch27 Ch28 spoilers

These two chapters were great.

All the misunderstandings with Nozaki’s obsession with Valetine Day were hilarious

Also Mikorin sending Nozaki and Sakura away because he’s too embarrassed to say he can’t get down the tree :joy:

Also #cutestPanel

6 Likes

Great chapters! I laughed a lot. :blush: I especially liked Nozaki doki’ing when Chiyo called out a mistake in his manga. :joy: And 気になる過去の男 (page 107) – baby Yuzuki!!!

100%!

I can’t believe we’re going to finish this volume next week!

4 Likes