扉達 Tobira Chapter 1 Thread

What PDF? Is it on the website?

Threre are grammar exercises for each chapter, under the 文法教材 section

Yup, that’s the official one from the website, you can easily get it if you own the book.

I don’t know if the teacher’s guide contains the answers, if it does, it would be nice if a person that owns it, could perhaps help check answers.
Or we could compare answers and see if we can help each other out.

So far I did almost all of the first chapter.

Edit: I don’t know if I can justify spending the money on the teachers guide myself.
Maybe if I can find it second hand somewhere. If I do end up owning it, I could help check answers. But again, no idea if I can afford it soon.

I don’t think the teacher’s guide has answers, it just teaches you how to teach the book. If I recall correctly, there is no answer key for Tobira.

Wait I have a Tobira workbook called Grammar Power: Exercises for Mastery. Are these exercises the same than the online PDF? The first question in the book I have is:

Insert the appropriate particle into each ( ). If no particle is necessary, mark X
私は日本 ( ) ように、温泉が多いこと ( )有名な所に住んでみたい。

Is that what you guys have?

I think it’s this one:

1 Like

Oh, thank you, I had most definitely not found that.

So far, I haven’t found the exercises to be particularly useful, as most of it is just “make your own sentences using the grammar”.

I prefer the exercises where you put the right grammar in the sentence provided. Or put a present tense into a past tense, etc. Connect the two sentences using the right grammar.

Make your own sentence using grammar X, is kind of the lazy way out for teaching, imo. And it makes it hard for self learners to check if they did it right (by yourself or with peers)

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s one of the downsides of self studying through Grammar textbooks, most, if not all textbooks assume you have a tutor/are using the book in college. Thankfully as the textbook continues, it assumes you have learned all previous material so there is lots of practice of all the grammar in action, even if it gets a little dry without proper exercises.

1 Like

That’s always a plus. It’s pretty useless to make a textbook to teach something and then never use it again.
I think I’ll just continue without doing all the exercises then. I rather make up my own sentences without the restrictions of the exercise. (like use these words to make a sentence using the grammar).

I think I also should focus a bit more on vocabulary. I seem to be understanding a fair bit, but trip on words I don’t know. Since I’ve been starting that, I’ve also got a confidence boost because I know more than I think. (Iknow tells me I know 2300 words. I don’t know yet how accurate that is.)

I’ve been doing the exercises, but when I check my answers, the answers given are much longer & complex so I feel really bad about my japanese level! I understand the answers given, but my Japanese isn’t natural enough, and this is really getting me down.

That’s passive vs active.
Your passive Japanese, the stuff you understand, is always going to be more and better than the active Japanese, the stuff you can produce.
Only way to improve this, is to just use it and don’t be afraid to make mistakes. Easier said than done, I know.
Probably why they made us write so many essays.

2 Likes

time to secretly track this for the future… (still on Genki ii)

1 Like

Just finishing chapter 1. How is everyone going through the book? I’m listening a few times to the main text while reading it, then reading it on my own and looking up vocabulary. The next day I review it, and again the next day without the text. I’m also thinking of translating it on the first day to English, and a few days after back to Japanese. Not sure how helpful this will be.

I have also recently started Tobira, so this thread is great to have! So far I have read and listened to the text material of chapter 1 twice. I have also done the first 7 exercises of the grammar book.

So far I’m still having trouble with the grammar point{で/から}できる. The textbook says から means that the material is not immediately obvious. I’m just constantly confusing it with で. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Not to mention the difference between できる and できている, one meaning general statements and the other something more specific. I just have to really sit down and memorize them.

I haven’t touched the kanji book yet, will finish chapter 1 for grammar first.

This matches up with typical use of ている form. One usage (including in this case) is to describe a continuous state, which only makes sense for a specific item.

2 Likes

unfortunately they didn’t have a lot of examples, so I’m also still fuzzy on this one.

Maybe use Bunpro to reinforce what you learn? I just coincidentally got this review there.

1 Like

I tried out bunpro and I wasn’t convinced, but I think I’m going to try it again as a lot of people love it. Do you think it’s one of the most helpful re-inforcement tools? To help integrate passive → active?

I think it’s decent for reinforcement, but I haven’t found anything better. Not sure how much it helps with moving stuff from passive to active, but I don’t think SRS systems are particularly good for that in general.