少女終末旅行: Chapter 7 Discussion

Probably a silly question…

Page 118

I translated this 足上げて as
pick(lift) up your feet"…this seems correct, but overall this feels like it’s a set expression.

Is this a set expression or is this just a simple thing like pick up your feet?

one more question…

狭くてわるいね

I first saw this as it’s narrow and it’s bad (isn’t it)…
But alternative definitions for わるい are sorry and at fault…
So I could read this as It’s narrow and I’m sorry…

Any way to know which is the more correct way to read this?

1 Like

@Naphthalene 's reply was helpful, but I’m still confused…

Page 118

The English version drives me crazy sometimes…but usually it hints that I’m missing something…

How did you break down the whole thing…
乗せてもらってる身だからね
乗せて = this can be various things… to give a ride / to load / to help on board
もらってる = asking someone to do something

I originally put this all together (probably wrong)…but I thought he was asking if he could help them load up the fuel since he asked for a ride…which doesn’t line up at all with the English version :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I’m assuming I clueless…help?

1 Like

It’s literally just “pick up your feet”. They want to put the spare fuel tank where his feet are sitting.

Basically just “sorry there’s not much room for you” (because there’s a fuel tank under his feet, and all of their provisions behind his back).

乗せてもらってる = you gave me a ride

4 Likes

Woo hoo…you’re almost to 60! go go go…

Thanks for the help…

It never occurred to me that he was still sitting in the back of the truck … For some reason I thought he got out of the truck…Apparently I need to spend more time admiring the artwork :laughing:

2 Likes

Wait, @Belthazar, your level updated!! Weren’t you waiting for level 60?

It wasn’t “waiting” so much as “just not bothering to log out and back in”.:stuck_out_tongue:

But Discourse caught up on its own.

2 Likes

Hey,

After 4 weeks of only having the time to read the current chapters and other people’s commentary I finally found time to post a comment.

I also added some words in the spreadsheets for the first 5 pages of this chapter since it seems the last chapters. I took the definition from jisho and they seem mostly correct from what I understood of this chapter. I got bored for the last few pages and just skimmed through the kanjis I couldn’t read since I already know the english version of the manga. I might update the spreadsheet for the last pages another day if no one takes care of it in the meanwhile.

I am not sure about this sentence on page 123 though: この辺は入り組んでて複雑だからね

From what Jisho said:

入り組む = to be or become complicated

複雑 = complex

Is it an expression? From what I understand he’s literally saying that The area is complex and complex. Is it just a way of emphasizing on the fact that this area is complex? I didn’t know that this could be done so that is why I am asking ^^’

Anyway, still as enjoyable as ever to read this story. I’m happy of my progression over the previous weeks as I was able to read more and more kanjis directly since I was also leveling up in wanikani and learning words from this book. I didn’t know the word 確認 a week ago for example and it just appeared in this chapter ^^

2 Likes

Not sure what this piece does to the sentence…is this really N2 grammar? Yikes!
https://www.bunpro.jp/grammar_points/330

Page 120

I got everything but this last part すぎない (don’t know if the に is actually part of it, if so then it’s the bunpro link…と…wasn’t quite sure how this worked as an ending particle)

僕たちの祖先は (As for) our ancestors
その古代人の作ったインフラに those ancient people made the infrastructure
住み着いた settled down
に すぎない と couldn’t figure out this one, but if it’s the bunpro 330 item that’s N2 grammar and scary for at my level…does it just mean “just”

So that this whole thing becomes “Our ancestors just settled down on the infrastructure made by the ancient people.” It makes sense, I just think I need a little clarity on the grammar/how this last part works: に すぎない と .

Thank you!

3 Likes

That’s correct!
While にすぎない is technically a set construction, N3~N2 is when “grammar” becomes basically vocab, so you can easily break it down.
すぎる to have too much/ to go over
Aにすぎる it goes over A
Aにすぎない it doesn’t go over A = it’s just A

5 Likes

Haven’t been at the computer and had a proper chance to say thank you! I appreciate how you broke down the hard N2 grammar … and your comment about it becoming vocab is true…I don’t even think about grammar in English…it just comes out (probably wrong)…but it does :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m not going to be able to create the next chapter thread my usually Friday night (EST) this week. Would you guys prefer a day early or half a day late?

• A day early
  • Half a day late

0 voters

1 Like

Take it easy!

Personally, if prefer a day early, but we can still read regardless, so just whenever is convenient for you, no pressure :slight_smile:

It makes no difference to me, so I’ll just do whatever the poll says.

1 Like

I think it’s probably like using two near-synonyms in English, e.g. “complex and intricate”.

2 Likes

Yes, probably. I was just surprised of the structure of the sentence. But thinking of it this way makes sense ^^ Thanks for the answer

I could be wrong but I read this as:

“This area becomes complicated because it is intricate.” (where intricate = mazelike)

1 Like

It could probably be that, maybe it’s the order of the sentence that threw me off then. I guess the author wanted to emphasis the cause even more so he/she decided to put it at the end of the sentence.

My basic japanese causative grammar would have made a sentence like this ^^ :
この辺は複雑だから入り組む

I think that would carry a different meaning. I believe your sentence is saying

“The area is complicated because it is complex”

but the original sentence is more like

“It’s because the area is complicated and complex”

where “it” refers to something they said earlier (too lazy to look it up but I think it was something about them having to take a detour and thus the tower not getting closer)

(or, more literally: “the area is complicated and complex, that’s why.”)

3 Likes

I understand. It makes sense if you take the sentence in this context.

Thank you for your help!

1 Like